ROM Hack [Tute WIP] Injecting VC roms for noobs.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to various memebers, I was able to gain some understanding on how this process works. If I have used your information without quoting please let me know so I can credit you. I'll be adding information as they become available.

I did some dirty GBC-injection job.

1. unpack BBB's pokemon rom with ctrtool (which produces un-encrypted exefs.bin, exheader.bin, romfs.bin)

2. inject whatever gbc rom into romfs.bin with hex editor

3. find and edit correct IVFC hash value with hex editor (romfs.bin)

4. modify rsf file

5. with cell9's tools, i was able to recreate cci file

makerom.exe -f cci -target d -rsf gw.rsf -o 3dsrom.3ds -exheader exheader.bin -code code.bin -icon icon.bin -banner banner.bin -romfs romfs.bin -alignwr

So here's my slightly clearer instructions for how to inject VC roms. (It's not complete because I don't fully understand every single step.

1. Unpack a VC.3ds rom with ctrtool (could someone come up with a command to do so?)
  2. Inject your desired gbc rom into romfs.bin using a hex editor. [Assuming a rudimentary knowledge of hex editing, this should basically involve opening the .gbc rom with a hex editor. Copying everything, pasting it into romfs.bin in the relevant sections. Can someone clarify how to determine the portion to be overwritten?)
  3. Find and edit correct IVFC value with hex editor in romfs.bin (I believe this is required to fix crc issues when using makerom. I have no idea how to edit though. There is a chance that the latest makerom build does not require you to do this?)
  4. Modify rsf file (Can someone explain this too?)
  5. Technically, the command I quote above should work since you have the edited romfs.bin, exheader, rsf file. So you'll be using makerom for this to work.
OPTIONALS

Custom banner

By default makerom will generate a 128mb file which is idiotic considering most gbc roms are ~3-5mb in size.

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NCSD#Card_Info_Header

Look at Writable Address [media units] in the list in 3DSExplorer, that's the pointer to the NAND save. It seems to always be at 0x200 in the ROM. This info is no longer shown in 3DSExplorer 1.5.3.1 so you have to use 1.5.3.0 or older for that part.

You can super trim the ROM first, add blank space equal to the size of the save to the end of the ROM (you'll have to know this beforehand, can be checked by saving first and then looking at the save area in a hex editor, or to be safe just add a few MBs), and point that address there. The address is in media units which is in blocks of 0x200, so setting that to 0x1374 for example would point the save file location to 0x26E800.
If you already have a save, you can also copy that before super trimming and paste it into the new blank area (or simply paste it at the end of the ROM and point the Writable Address there, that might be easier)

No guarantees on whether it will work but it should.

Reactions: Margen67

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone just please break this down with download links and in an easy guide cause I cant work out shit!

Download links will come once the proper instructions have been finalized. Finding the download links are super easy. If you can't find them, chances are you aren't looking hard enough or you're lazy.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Errrmmm, this is more like a [vague idea of what to do]

You can't call something a tutorial with the most important steps missing,

I can do this myself and to make a new friendly guide would probably not be possible, it's quite complicated doing it manually and I don't want to have to explain the process over and over.....its not a noob friendly process basically,

I would suggest any noob just hang tight and await a noob friendly tool that does the work for you

Reactions: overlord00

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
if you cant understand how to download a file chances are you wont be able to do this or even get close...sorry reecey

Sorry Yeah looks like it :( I was getting so excited as well like a little child with a new toy to be able to play M&DK, I feel let down now :cry:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well with the Romfs creator.....the process will be easier than ever.....i would guess in the next day or so you will have a simple bat script to automate it all

Reactions: Reecey

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well with the Romfs creator.....the process will be easier than ever.....i would guess in the next day or so you will have a simple bat script to automate it all

yes but it seems reecy is talking about a game boy advance game and in this case would not be possible unless there is a gbc version of mario vs donkey kong? and really gamesquest1? in the next day or so? the 21st is my birthday that would be a kick a$$ present from the forum xD

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you need a Gateway flash card to play injected roms? Can they be played just from SD like normal dlc? Or do they need a modded console with emu nand?

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
yes but it seems reecy is talking about a game boy advance game and in this case would not be possible unless there is a gbc version of mario vs donkey kong? and really gamesquest1? in the next day or so? the 21st is my birthday that would be a kick a$$ present from the forum xD

It is a GBC VC game that was what I was hoping on. No your rite it is GBA but I thought we can already play GBA games its GBC we cant play?

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gba games do not run on the 3ds in virtual console the only way you can currently play ANY gba game on 3ds is if you have the ambassador titles and these are technically not virtual console as they are running from litterally GBA on a chip inside the 3ds you cant even put your console in sleep mode when running these 10 games and chances are even if gateway manages to get these running it would be a long time before someone made them interchangeable with another rom

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
gba games do not run on the 3ds in virtual console the only way you can currently play ANY gba game on 3ds is if you have the ambassador titles and these are technically not virtual console as they are running from litterally GBA on a chip inside the 3ds you cant even put your console in sleep mode when running these 10 games and chances are even if gateway manages to get these running it would be a long time before someone made them interchangeable with another rom

But all the pokemon games work, legend of zelda etc.. they have for along time now.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on the flip side of news reecey mario vs donkey kong is one of the ambassador games that was released on the 3ds heres the list
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart Advance
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
Wario Ware, Inc. Mega Microgame$

and gateway has said (when they gave 2.3b to the public) that they would work on it after the next update so maybe you will see these come soon only time will tell also..there is a gba emulator being developed by st4rk but i dont think thats his main focus right now as he is making 3Dnes

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just going to shut up now cause I don't know what I am talking about and I'm starting to feel a bit silly, its to early for a Saturday for me to get too serious :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...