Tutorial  Updated

: Working Saves in GBA VC Games on 3DS!

Hi all,

I wanted to have my existing gameboy advance saves working on my 3ds in VC mode.
here's a tutorial on what I did to get the save from pc to 3ds vc working:

Note: "In order for this to work, you need to use the same game in cia format as the save will only work with that specific version"
I.e you played Zelda minsh cap EU on pc and made a save, the .cia you make using ultimate vc injector needs to be the same game that you made the save for!"

example:

Zelda minsh cap eu.gba
Zelda minsh cap eu.sav
Zelda Minsh cap eu.cia

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Step 1:

grab you gamename.gba and existing gamename.sav and copy the over to desktop,

Step 2:

make the gba vc.cia of the gamename.gba using "ultimate GBA VC Injector tool"

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/

Step 3:

install gamename.cia to 3ds using FBI

Step 4:

open gamename to let it make save data & backup the data using:

(follow Godmode9 "backup gba saves option"
from Backup GBA VC Saves

Step 5:

copy titleID.gbavc.sav to pc & grab your
existing game name.sav (make a copy of it)

Step 6:

open both files in HXD,

select all the data in the
"existing game name.sav"
and copy it,

Step 7:

"paste write" that data into
titleID.gbavc.sav and save it.

Step 8:

make a copy of "title id.gbavc.sav" and rename it to "game name.sav",
open the game in GBA emulator and your save should be there! if it is, your done!

Step 9:

put "Modified "titleID.gbavc.sav" back to /gm9/out/ folder

and (follow Godmode9 "restore gba saves option"
from Restore GBA VC Saves)

Step 10:

open gba vc game and your save should be restored and working like it was on pc!

hope this helps you transfer your existing saves to gba vc's on 3ds!

Last edited by 2DSGamerdude,

contingences

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
there is an utility somewhere on gbatemp (I have it somewhere on my hd) which auto invert the value , and that's it. As far as i know, you need it for minish cap and zelda III gba remake.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
A bit unrelated but, how can i back up a GBA VC save made on one 3ds so that i can inject it to the other one? I take it these are installed to NAND.

erickmena

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Hi, so I just cfw my O3DS with Luma, and have converted a few gba roms to cia’s. I injected them via fbi. They all work normally, my trouble is with the ones that use autosave, for example Final Fight One says it’s aunable to autosave and despite giving me an option to try again it just doesn’t. With Klonoa it doesn’t give me an error but it just doesn’t save my progress. I tried Mario World Advance which has no autosave but instead prompts the option, with this one I had no trouble. Has anyone experienced this? Did I miss something like creating a folder or enabling a save option? Please help me cuz it just drives me crazy. Thanks!

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, so I just cfw my O3DS with Luma, and have converted a few gba roms to cia’s. I injected them via fbi. They all work normally, my trouble is with the ones that use autosave, for example Final Fight One says it’s aunable to autosave and despite giving me an option to try again it just doesn’t. With Klonoa it doesn’t give me an error but it just doesn’t save my progress. I tried Mario World Advance which has no autosave but instead prompts the option, with this one I had no trouble. Has anyone experienced this? Did I miss something like creating a folder or enabling a save option? Please help me cuz it just drives me crazy. Thanks!
I believe this is a problem with the rom's save type.

Have you used New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI) to convert the roms to .cia? Or have you used the old GBA injector standalone (I don't remember the name rn, I believe it's Ultimate GBA Injector or something like that)

Try to use NSUI and set the save type to different ones until it saves properly, I know that using the ones with RTC fix the Pokemon titles not saving at all

erickmena

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
I believe this is a problem with the rom's save type.

Have you used New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI) to convert the roms to .cia? Or have you used the old GBA injector standalone (I don't remember the name rn, I believe it's Ultimate GBA Injector or something like that)

Try to use NSUI and set the save type to different ones until it saves properly, I know that using the ones with RTC fix the Pokemon titles not saving at all
Thanks @THEELEMENTKH. I resolved the issue and it’s exactly what you are pointing out. Cia’s created with “ultimate” weren’t able to autosave, but once I used “new” the issue was resolved. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

cimerio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would be happy if I was able to least save the games. I convert the roms to cia, install in 3ds but no game is saved.

Lauranq

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Step 6:

open both files in HXD,

select all the data in the
"existing game name.sav"
and copy it,

Step 7:

"paste write" that data into
titleID.gbavc.sav and save it.

When I try to copy anything, or paste it it says "Cannot open clipboard %s"

I have checked and I am using the latest version of HxD

EDIT : I fixed my problem using something else (i was trying to use PKhex on a firered sav but it wasnt working)

But I would still like to know why copy and pasting isnt working in HxD in case I have need for it later!

Last edited by Lauranq,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ