trying to remove a virus . . . ?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Jan 14, 2011.

Jan 14, 2011
  1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    so my friend has a virus apparently .
    he might be getting a new computer , so i asked if he could give me his hard drive so that i could check it out .

what are some recommended things i should install on his computer ?
    i won't be connecting it through my network , however , i have 2 ideas so far:
    - install Linux on a USB Drive and attempt to remove the virus
    - add a bunch of possible "solutions" onto the USB Drive then try installing them and removing the virus .

of course , i have more than 1 computer , so i will have access to the temp still . what only worries me is that the virus could spread through the network so that's the reason on why it isn't connected to the internet/network .

ideas on :
    - programs to be added and installed on computer
    - recommended Linux Distro that can fit on a 8GB pen drive . [how does this work ? am i suppose to scan the HDD while in Linux to remove the virus/possible malware?]

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Get a free trial of a proven anti-virus and scan the drive.

I suggest AVG, Avira, or even Norton (sure, false positives suck, but it shouldn't matter here).

3. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
  4. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    alright thanks .
    i'll read through those guides ,
    and what i really want is a Pendrive Linux Virus/Malware removal guide [​IMG] .
    -searches for one on google-

it'd be cool, a portable virus/malware remover [​IMG]

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
  6. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    The way I would do it is to first check the Task Manager in Windows and go to the processes tab and check if there is anything fishy. You can order it by Memory of CPU Usage so that it is easier to find. If there's something using an obscene amount of RAM or CPU, Right Click and Open File Location. Take note of this location.

Now, get your Linux Live CD and put it in your CD drive. Restart your computer and boot from the Live CD. This is different for every motherboard, so find out how to do that. You don't need to install Linux, just search through your HDD to the location of the virus and delete it.

EDIT: You can create a bootable USB key for Ubuntu if you don't want to use a CD. The method is the same, you just have to go to your BIOS and find out how to boot off the USB instead of a CD.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  8. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
  9. R3yn4rd

Newcomer R3yn4rd Newbie

France
    What is the specification of his computer? The anti-virus software should be appropriate to his computer. If he is running a low specification of computer then he must use Avira. Kaspersky is also a good anti-virus for high specification of computer.

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Welcome to GBAtemp. Note that the last post was 10 days ago, so we can assume that the OP has resolved his problem using Rydian's guide and is now using an AV that he's happy with.

Dead thread can die again.