Hacking Trying to play GBA game on DS using R4 and EZ-Flash 3 in 1

dccharcoal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, sorry if this information is stashed somewhere in these forums... I've been trying to get this to work for hours with no results.

I'm trying to play a GBA game on my DS using an R4 and an EZ-Flash 3 in 1. I watched a tutorial on youtube, changed the GBA file into an NDS file, and attempted to patch it with some kind of DLDI thing. The only problem was that with the DLDI program, I couldn't put the DLDI file into the top box. I've tried playing the file without this patch thing, and it gave me some kind of FAT error...

I'm new to this whole thing, and I've been searching online for answers, but I just can't find anything... If anybody here could point me into the right direction, I would VERY much appreciate it!

Oh yes, I guess this also doubles as an introductory post. So, uh, hi. My name is Dan. Nice to meet you. Oh and also, thanks in advance.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
what the? what were you watching :wtf:

the GBA is not supposed to be changed into a NDS file. that's not any method I'm familiar with anyway...

Try just dragging and dropping the .gba file into the microSD of the R4. Also copy a homebrew program like Rudolph's 3in1 tool onto the microSD.

Run the homebrew app, and navigate to the .gba file. Choose to write it to the RAM. You should be good afterwards.

dccharcoal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, that's one obstacle cleared. I got the games running just fine, but now I have no idea how to save.

ExpLoader works really well, the game is perfect. I have no idea what that youtube video was saying, but it was the only tutorial that used the R4 and EZ-Flash 3in1... Ah well.

Anyway, about the saving, I read the README that came with ExpLoader, and it mentions it a few times, but I really don't have any idea what it all means. I'll continue researching and trying to figure things out, but it might go a little faster if I got a small push in the right direction!

Thanks again, I'll let you know if I figure it out...

EDIT: Okay, just did an SRAM check. Battery's not dead or defective, worked fine. I also found the save file, I just don't know how to load it.

EDIT: Wait, so, PSRAM mode just...loses the save file once you turn the DS off? What's the point then? NOR mode actually has a permanent save file? Then why even bother using PSRAM? Just because it loads quicker? I've looked at a couple of FAQs, but nothing says why to even bother using PSRAM since you lose your save file (I think...?)...

EDIT NUMBER THREE: Okay, nevermind I guess, in NOR mode the games won't even start...huh.

dccharcoal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, new sort of problem. Saving works pretty fine. I tried it with a different game and it worked. Just doesn't seem to work with Rhythm Tengoku. Maybe it's because that particular game auto-saves? I dunno...

So I'm just thinking NOR mode would probably solve the saving problem for this particular game, but it won't run it. Will NOR mode only run games between 16-32MB or something? Because Rhythm Tengoku is between 15-16MB... I have no idea why else it won't run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night