ROM Hack Trying to extract the music files from Professor Layton and the Last Specter

Pablopa99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello!
I've been trying to extract the music files from Layton and the Last Specter, however with no success. I tried using VGM Toolbox and VGM Trans-
With the former I managed to extract an sdat however I could not replicate the process, though that might probably my unfamiliarity with the software... and when I tried to Import that file into either VGMTrans or NitroStudio it won't work (VGM trans wont even react and nitro studio says: "error could not read file from disk. it requieres a number that is not negative"). Also if I try to put the rom directly on VGM trans it wont react at all, though it does work with other roms. Any idea on what might be the issue? Thank you!

templeofhylia

homo supreme
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i'll do more research, but if you open up the rom in nitro explorer 3 and "expand all", you can see a bunch of .sad files which contain audio and can be played in foobar2000 with the vgmstream plugin.

i'm not sure how you managed to get an .sdat file as there doesn't seem to be one at all in the rom. probably why you can't replicate it.

Last edited by templeofhylia,

Pablopa99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey thank you! Nitro Explorer 3 worked, however it seems none of the music is in those formats.. There is a WAV folder with .SWD files, how would i extract the music from those files, in case it where there (the .sad files where cutscenes and other audio effects)

LukeMans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Late, but the program Tinke can convert the audio files in the game. If you open the rom in this program a folder structure will appear, audio files are in lt4/str/bgm/

You can select these files and then click on "view", Tinke will convert the file and you can hit export in the menu that appears.

I'm still stumped on the sequenced music though, seems to be some uncommon compression method.

You can find Tinke on Github with a quick Google.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*