Hacking Trying to decide on a 3DS flashcart

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
14,000 posts and you can't take time to read my actual post? Assuming that post count correlates to the ability to read and interpret? Nah, he just spams contributes a lot to the community. :P

My wife actually plans to buy a DSTwo in a couple weeks, and after shipping it will probably be a few bucks under $50 as we only order from the Realhotstuff website due to our previous satisfaction with their speed and service.

I stand by my previous thesis: that no card is automatically the "best" for every person. Your needs may differ from those of other users, so the card that is "best" for you may not be "best" for me and vice versa. There's another cart that emulates gba natively (iSmart MM), but as far as I know, it has no 3ds support (the iSmart Premium does, though); the only 3ds compatible ds flashcart that can emulate gba natively is the dstwo. With no competition, the DSTwo is, essentially, the "best" to emulate gba on a 3ds.

Some cards, like the Cyclo iEvolution, are generally not "best" for almost any user due to lack of support. But because both Supercard and Acekard seem to have good support networks ensuring continued compatibility, they are both good candidates based on a user's specific needs. Don't forget the r4i gold 3ds (from r4ids.cn); it has faster support than the ak2i and has official support from wood r4. Also, the ak2i has severe hardware problems (contact issue and crappy springs) for some people, so that's some negatives for the ak2i. In terms of firmware, though, I personally like akaio > wood r4 (and YSmenu at the top-most because I've been using it since I joined the ds scene =D)

Note that we have a comparison chart so people can make the decision on their own--instead of just some sticky saying "This card is the best, any other decision is just stupid." Still, taking the OP's requirements (a 3ds compatible cart with native gba emulation) into account, the DSTwo would still be the best.

It seems to me the DSTwo is the premium card that can do a ton of stuff.

So what is the difference between the acekard and the r4i gold 3ds?

Also, what are good places for someone like me in Canada to buy? I think it's probably cheaper to get from asia rather than canada right?

Thanks!
The main difference between the ak2i and r4i gold 3ds would be the firmware/loader used; acekard 2i uses akaio, while r4i gold 3ds uses wood r4. Since both were made with the same source code, the UI is very similar (even skins can be used interchangeably), but only the ak2i has an AntiPiracy bypass feature, which, supposedly, boosts compatibility to newer games. To be honest, I've never felt much benefit from using it, but it might just be me. But some hardware-defective ak2i's may have contact issues and crappy springs, so, for now, I'd say the r4i gold 3ds would be less hassle to use. Of course, contact issues and crappy springs aren't limited to ak2i's (and not all ak2i's have those defects), but it is certain that it's more severe on acekard 2i's.

Updates to counter dsi/3ds firmware updates comes fairly quickly from both and compatibility to newer games are high on both.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
14,000 posts and you can't take time to read my actual post?
I was referring to you equating the DSTwo to a $100,000 watch. You were blowing things WAY out of proportion there.

Note that we have a comparison chart so people can make the decision on their own--instead of just some sticky saying "This card is the best, any other decision is just stupid."
The stickied one? Yeah I made it. :P

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks so much! This really answers all my question, you guys are awesome =).

I think i'll get an r4i gold, just gotta find a good buyer now. Any suggestions? (im in canada)

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I went with the R4i Gold since I'm not satisfied with Acekard as it gets much less support and the team are really slow when it comes to releasing stuff. The reason why I didn't get the DSTWO, because I have a PSP which can emulate what the DSTWO can emulate and even better. The choice is yours.. Do you want a flashcart that offers extra features other than playing DS Roms? Or do you want a flashcart just for playing DS Roms?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well I bought an acekard 2i yesterday, did the latest update on their website, and guess what? On 3.0.0.6 it works! So the card speaks for itself, besides, the product quality is good and the kernel is robust.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I bought an acekard 2i yesterday, did the latest update on their website, and guess what? On 3.0.0.6 it works! So the card speaks for itself, besides, the product quality is good and the kernel is robust.
Almost EVERY card works on 3.0.0-6.

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just went through the wood r4 tutorial, it seems harder to do than hacking my wii was =S! lol

Maybe the acekard is easier, I'm going to have a look.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just went through the wood r4 tutorial, it seems harder to do than hacking my wii was =S! lol

Maybe the acekard is easier, I'm going to have a look.
Not really hard. This is pretty much all for setting up both carts:

1) format micro sd card
2) place firmware (wood r4 if using an r4i gold 3ds; akaio if using an ak2i)
3) place roms/homebrews

If you're talking about updating the bootloader, that can be a little complicating to some that are new to this, but that's what we're here for. :D

sero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think I'll buy an r4i gold, just need a place to buy. Do you guys have any suggestions?
I get my stuff from the Realhotstuff website? Why? Because I've ordered from them once before and they didn't mess with me, get my order wrong or anything else pointedly stupid, so I got my second card from them too. They are also what I would consider fast, shipping out the day after I bought.

Are there better sites? I have no clue--but they were close to my location in the US, had free shipping for the cards I wanted in each case, and did not go out of their way to be a bad vendor--and there were a LOT of dodgy vendors when I was looking.

Note: I recommend getting your actual flash media elsewhere. If you're a student at a college (or someone in your family has a *.edu address, you qualify for Amazon prime for FREE. That means regardless of the price of items in their warehouse, they ship them to your home free in 2 days. I paid about $6.50 for my 8GB microSD card a couple weeks back from there and got it in two days with free shipping. Even if you aren't eligible for Prime they have some pretty affordable rates anyway.

Now that I just sounded like a horrible walking advertisement for realhotstuff and Amazon I'll log off for a bit :P

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Whiteman007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I think I'll buy an r4i gold, just need a place to buy. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Got mine before on Lightake.com
I am sure allot of people in the Temp would also recommend this site.

Here is the link:
http://lightake.com/...i_DSL_NDS-36776

Thanks a lot! I've sent them a message asking them if they could flash it for me (because I don't have access to a ds lite).
No problem.

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
i recently buy a dstwo and is like an all i one card(snes emu, gba, free cheat..) but i have to pay 60 buck for it
Anyway if you just wanna play ds games grab a acekard 2i

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom