Misc Try to get wii on a university connection.

2shoes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,
So basically my problem is getting the wii online on my university connection.

Problem :
- There are two wifi signals. One is secure and requires a username and a password to get in. The other is unsecure but requires a browser login.

What I have tried :
- Tried the unsecured connection and tried browser login, but Internet channel wont let me go on because the connection does not connect. But for me to connect I have to get through Internet channel and do a browser login.

- I cannot connect to the secure connection because the connection asks for a username and a password , but the wii's interface only allows me one line of input when entering the security key.

- I have also tried to setup a virtual acess point but the wii cannot connect, well when I connect to it, the test for the connection fails.( I used virtual router and Connectify to create acess point).

Ideas I had:

-Is there another internet browser for the wii that can allow me to go online without a connection so I can enter the username and pass for the browser login and get connected?

- Is there any way to get the wii to accept a connection and give me two lines of input for the username and password.

Thanks for your time guys.

P.S please suggest another way I can connect if you can think of one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have tried some of what I would but something to note is a lot of "open" connections like this (especially schools/educational establishments) will block certain mac ranges. Are you sure that is not what is happening here?

Not sure if you can do a virtual mac address with a wii or otherwise hack to something different (if you are already doing a PC based hotspot you might have an option there).

2shoes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think the mac ranges are the problem because my friends who have a ps3 can log on by just doing a browser based login. I would be able to do the same but the Internet channel will not allow me to go onto the browser unless i have a connection which can connect to the Internet, but i cannot get a valid connection unless i can enter the browser where it promotes me to enter my login info. Its kinda hard to explain but please ask to clarify if you do not understand what i'm saying.

So is there another browser which i can use (btw my wii has homebrew) instead of the internet channel?

Livy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
clone your wii mac address to your laptop.
go to the weblogin with your laptop, login.
then enter the wifi details on the wii,
might work if the login is mac based?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What kind of security they are using? WEP, WPA, or WPA2? Be aware if it is WEP it must be 64 bit for it to work. For WPA or WPA2, if they are using different encryption, it may not work on your Wii.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe this will work.

1: Buy the Nintendo WiFi dongle
2: Plug it into your laptop w' internet connection
3: Hook up your Wii to the signal from your Nintendo dongle

2shoes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the fast replay guys, i'll try out the dongle and mac cloning and let you know how it turns out. Oh and trump-205, its an unsecure connection based on a browser login.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
2shoes said:
thanks for the fast replay guys, i'll try out the dongle and mac cloning and let you know how it turns out. Oh and trump-205, its an unsecure connection based on a browser login.
NONONONONO

The Nintendo dongle is a piece of garbage, so I ask that you don't spend a dime on the thing. Not to mention it's XP only. If you're running the newest version of Connectify, then we're probably having the same issue as my phone won't connect either.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, Ive used the nintendo wifi USB dongle on vista, it works fine.
Also, not sure if this would work, but have you tried setting up an ad-hoc network?(if the wii can even connect to those)

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just crack the secured network with backtrack
biggrin.gif

2shoes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so your saying the dongle is useless. I'm sure the wii doesnt have a ad-hoc mode.
Any other suggestions?

p.s There is no need for me to break into the secure networks since i know the username and pass for it.
- I cannot connect to the secure connection because the connection asks for a username and a password , but the wii's interface only allows me one line of input when entering the security key.

Stavros90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an ethernet connection running to your room you could plug in a router or just an Access Point and use that instead. You would have to check with your help desk because it probably isn't allowed but worth the try.

2shoes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so good news, but I still need some help.
I was at a party at my res and these guys from the floor below got their wii online.
I asked him how he got online, and he said he just opened up the wii internet channel and used the browser based login.
But i cant do that because my wii internet channel says i need a valid connection before opening the browser, but i need to go into the browser to and type in the login to get a valid connection.
Now I have been wondering why my friend's internet channel allowed him to load up the browser without a valid connection
and i'm guessing cause maybe there is a new version of the channel which allow people to do that.
So i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the latest internet channel wad?
..and yes i tried googleing it
glare.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo