FIXED Trusted "Developer" User type and Color

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Dartz150, Sep 12, 2019.

?

Do you agree with this petition?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2019.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. I don't really know/care

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I can kind of agree that there should be a trusted source of info from reputable devs with GBAtemp, although.....it seems there needs to be a bit of ironing-out. Just a little, though.

----------
    I have a preliminary plan, but I keep finding unworthy candidates.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, Sep 13, 2019
    Sono likes this.
  2. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Probably not worth all of the work involved
    overcomplication

3. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Devs could easily have the EXACT same opinion about providing you with software to hack your console and do cool stuff with it.

But they don't, and you benefit from it.

Sono and H1B1Esquire like this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It's a good and bad idea. I like it in theory, because some devs have really put in some amazing work to create incredibly useful content for users on GBAtemp. But you'd have to be very picky with who gets it, and then it becomes a "why didn't I get one?" issue, when smaller or more notorious devs start wanting glorification too. I mean, everyone knows the bigger scene devs by name already, so it's really only prestige rather than anything.

Perhaps, as was stated by someone earlier, if there were certain parameters. Like maybe having a major "official thread" from the dev ala ReiNX (Reisyukaku ), Atmo (SciresM), with over x amount of replies/pages would denote them getting a dev banner? It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and having something that makes use of the major community that gbatemp has would be beneficial. You just have to consider the attention-wanters and braggers that would come with it.

chaoskagami, NoNAND, shaunj66 and 6 others like this.
  5. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    @Chary
    Do it. Give us the bridge.

6. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    It'd be great if developers receive some kind of recognition for their work here, but imo an official "trusted" tag would just create a false sense of security. After all, there have already been cases of known and community-trusted devs releasing malware completely out of the blue (see DarkFader's infamous DS brickers, for example) so a tag like that would do no good in similar situations (or, depending on the requirements needed to obtain it, it could even become a target for malicious devs).

TL;DR - I'm all for a "developer" tag, but without the "trusted" part.

chaoskagami, Rahkeesh, NoNAND and 4 others like this.
  7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    This isn't going to happen. I suggested it a long time ago.

NoNAND, Sono, Dartz150 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    I never mentioned about a downvote system. :creep:

We don't have dislikes either, why have downvotes for dev rep? It can also discourage work.
    Just simply have them need a necessary amount of points to get to a certain point to earn a simple dev title, and if they do anything malicious, the mods can take care of it from there, that's why there's the report function.

chaoskagami likes this.
  9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    So did I :P

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I am personally all for it. The developer tag could also give them access to a private or normally read only section for communicating with other devs without it being cluttered by non-dev related posts.

11. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    They already do that on Discord :P

12. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I mean a more general dev section. With threads for each project of course.

13. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    They still would use Discord since THEY have full control there (atleast the illusion of it) and not have to worry about prying eyes of GBAtemp where some people seem to dislike (for unknown reasons for me but I haven't tried to poke more about it).

Sono likes this.
  14. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    To make things simpler, a thread tag like Release would do, I think we already have something like that. So an additional sort by Releases would be ideal.

NoNAND and The Real Jdbye like this.
  15. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Many would, but I still think people would use it.

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I made that suggestion too :-p

And yeah I think they would - Discord is very ephemeral and it is hard to find older information when you need it again. On a forum it's there for reference pretty much permanently.

gamesquest1 and NoNAND like this.
  17. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    France
    i cant exactly really put my finger on why but i have a problem with the idea of "i decided to do something on my own on my side so now im owed stuff" (and the "since i took my time to do such great stuff i post on this forum then the forum admins owe me to put in place somethink that will make me shine")

dont get me wrong, i'm really gratefull for any dev work that make stuff possible for end user without the skill to do it themselves, but i dont thing the "they are owed stuff" mentality is the right route, it could make the atmosphere go south fast (ego competition and sht)

also about the notion of "trusted developpers", remember that a dev that was really trusted back then was one who stole some vulnerability to bounty them to nintendo, apologyzed, then did i again, and remember that another one was responsible for the pokemon go bricker...

also a system based on user popularity seem weird, imagine drama ensue based on dev personnality that make him go bombed when its still a great developper?
    and also what do you do with some developper that have great skill but have also really toxic ethics and business plan for the whole community? (you know, like some that patent the name of an already existing tool to suck the popularity of it, and then do closed source stuff, and sometime do it in a way it break functionnalities with other popular solution to try to force people to stop using them)

Last edited by Engezerstorung, Sep 16, 2019
  18. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Bumping this because I want to see more input from the community on this. Is this something that the majority of users would enjoy/want? We appreciate any feedback on the matter.

Sono likes this.
  19. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Personally I feel what had to be said has been said on this matter, all that remains is to see what happens if more people share what side they choose instead of choosing to be indifferent to it.

If this is what I think it is and it is actually being considered seriously, would be nice if this was a front page poll instead of the what is the future Xbox's title gonna be poll.

Dartz150 likes this.
  20. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    I would be against this happening for a good few reasons especially as it would make it way harder for new devs. Cast you minds back to when the homebrew sceen on the 3ds was beginning to get going. Several new devs popped up only for them be bombarded with messages saying stuff like I'm not trusting your homebrew when you only have 1 post on the site ect ect.

Adding a trusted developer label for well known devs is also going to make it even harder for new devs to get people to try thier homebrew. I can see it now

Oh they only have 10 posts and are not labelled as a trusted dev no way am I risking my £300 system to try something by a dev that is new here and not trusted.

Also going from the early days of homebrew to the present there has been several casses of devs getting a huge reputation then they realese nefarious homebrew the bricks systems or does other kinds of mischief. A trusted dev label is only going to make it easier for the type of incident to happen.

So basically if we introduce this we are going to end up making it easier for reputable devs to do something shitty (should they wish to) simply because they are trusted. And we are gonna make it even harder for new devs to get there work noticed.

The site should be encouraging and supporting all devs not just the well known ones.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Oct 12, 2019 - Reason: Fixing drunken spelling errors
    Sono likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.