Trouble Unraring off Usenet

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I downloaded a 360 iso off of usenet, and I'm having trouble unraring it. I don't know what these .par files are and when I extract one of the .rar files, it gets all the way, then I get an error. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I just get a corrupt download?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I downloaded a 360 iso off of usenet, and I'm having trouble unraring it. I don't know what these .par files are and when I extract one of the .rar files, it gets all the way, then I get an error. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I just get a corrupt download?

Sounds like a bad download to me.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Don't re-download. PAR files are used to fix bad rars. Google QUICKPAR and install the app, it will fix the rars using the PAR files. They are used with bigger downloads to avoid the hastle of having to re-download should you have a few bad files. It is very common to see them with 360 isos, movies etc.

Parchive | Parchive (or parity volume set archive) is a forward error correction-style system that can be applied to one or more files to allow recovery when data is lost or corrupted. When used with collections of files, some missing files can be regenerated. @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PAR / PAR2 files are "parity" files. These files are used to rebuild incomplete RAR or HJSplit file sequences when some of the needed files are missing. The program Quickpar can use the data in the PAR files to fill in the holes in the other files. WIth PAR files you usually need ALL the PAR parts to rebuild one missing RAR or 00X file, but with PAR2 files you can try downloading just a few of the PAR2 files and see if Quickpar can rebuild it, and if not, leep downloading a few more PAR2 files until there is enough to rebuild everything.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thankgs Thug! Worked perfectly!
biggrin.gif

1.1k posts woo

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't re-download. PAR files are used to fix bad rars. Google QUICKPAR and install the app, it will fix the rars using the PAR files. They are used with bigger downloads to avoid the hastle of having to re-download should you have a few bad files. It is very common to see them with 360 isos, movies etc.

Parchive | Parchive (or parity volume set archive) is a forward error correction-style system that can be applied to one or more files to allow recovery when data is lost or corrupted. When used with collections of files, some missing files can be regenerated. @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

Good to know Thug. I'll keep that in mind next time I get a bad RAR. All those times I redownloaded files...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1