ROM Hack Translator needed

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,806
  • Replies 25
D

Deleted User

OP
I am looking for help in translating the script of Color Changing Tingle’s Love Balloon Trip from Japanese to English. It is a spinoff of The Legend of Zelda series and a sequel to Freshly-Picked Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland.
I am told that the game uses a preschool level of vocabulary and grammar, so it’s not too complicated.
Also as the script is rather lengthy you can just translate some of it if you want. Either post here or PM me if you're interested.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"Ripened" seems like a more fitting/accurate translation than "Color-changing"... but I haven't played the game yet. Reading the synopsis, this sounds absolutely hilarious, though.

Is there a lot of text?

D

Deleted User

OP
Well, I was just using google translate so if you say that ripened is more accurate, then we can use that.

There is actually a pretty big amount of text (imo, i don't know what's considered "a lot" when it comes to game scripts) , but like I said you can pick if you want to translate something specific like dialogue, level names, inventory names, etc.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You had me up until google translate.
Well... Why do you think he's looking for a translator? ;)

Anyway, played a bit of the game. Wow, I did not expect it to be a point-and-click adventure game! And a really funny one, at that.
If no one else offers, I'm willing to translate some of it. I'm a novice at translating, but it's at a level I'm comfortable enough with.

D

Deleted User

OP
Okay, so what would you like to do? (menus, inventory, dialogue, etc.) I can PM you the script, or if you want I can put it on pastebin or something if you want.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The menus should be easy (and are kind of indispensable to do), unless the game suddenly has a ton of them at a later point. Note that I only played the first three chapters (which follow up in really, really rapid succession for some reason, so don't be surprised about that).
The dialogue/story stuff also seems like the most important part of this, since it's an adventure game after all and the items already speak for themselves with the icons. So I'd love to focus on working on the dialogue.

Why don't you put them on a pastebin and post them publicly here? That way, other people who happen to know Japanese can also freely jump in and help out. :) But if you're more comfortable sending this over PM, that is fine by me too!
No promises I can start right away, though - going to bed soon and I already have some plans for tomorrow. Well, I'll have enough free time to contribute to this, at least.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks! This looks surprisingly clean. I suppose I should write the translated text on the same line numbers?

<2><1> seems to be used to switch to a fresh new text screen, is that right? (I want to use that to my advantage in case the translated text ends up needing more text screens than the Japanese version uses. Unless that causes complications...)
<8:8> and <8:1>... Is that a color code switching thing?

Edit
Also, how many characters can I approximately fit on one line?

D

Deleted User

OP
I suppose I should write the translated text on the same line numbers?
Yes, that would make it easy to reinsert it.
<2><1> seems to be used to switch to a fresh new text screen, is that right?
Yes, and don't worry it won't cause complications.
<8:8> and <8:1>... Is that a color code switching thing?
I believe so, you can just leave those where they are.
Also, how many characters can I approximately fit on one line?
Well, if you mean like is there any restrictions on how much you can reinsert, there is no restrictions (well, kinda but we don't need to worry).
If you mean physically on the screen, than approximately 27 (counting spaces)

Reactions: DaVince
D

Deleted User

OP
Oh! and also <0> is a linebreak. I'll do them for you if you want since you can't actually see the text in the game, but if you want to make estimates as to where they go, that would be helpful.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I meant physically on the screen. If it's 27 characters total on one screen, how much is that per line? 14 for the first and 13 for the second line or something?

I'll manually try doing line breaks first as this game tends to have exactly one sentence per text screen.

D

Deleted User

OP
Oh, I mean like 27 per line. You can usually fit 2 (maybe 3) lines in the main dialogue.

Reactions: DaVince

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, that is awesome. Probably plenty, considering the game itself tends to use around half that for most dialogs! :)

Edit: that text file might not contain all of page 1's text... The descriptions from the old clock in Tingle's room aren't in there.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah, I wasn't able to upload all of page 1's text (pastebin didn't allow it). You can use the tool that Kelebek linked to to extract the whole script.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The tool for extracting the text is here DaVince: http://gbatemp.net/threads/making-a-text-editor.362107/

Tried it. dsbuff and dslazy seems to work okay under Linux, but TingleTrans shows an error message in the console and does nothing when I try to load/export the text.
Code:
[Message Log]
Unable to initialize: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for TingleTrans.CustomEncoding

Since it's failing, I'll leave the messing with the ROM to someone else... I'd just like a complete script of the first page! Maybe zip it up and attach in the post, it or send it over Mediafire or something?

Edit: I think pastebin allows you to paste much, much larger text if you register and log in. Heck, I know for a fact it can handle much more than just 200 lines...

Edit 2: by the way, regarding the name, "ripened" works better than "color-changing" because it fits with the naming theme of the last game better, which was "freshly picked"! :)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Translated and PM sent. I also pretty much have to play the game alongside to get the context of the lines right.

Time-consuming, but fun. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e