^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reason for this topic is people are arguing too much in the new JUS translation thread about which format for the komas is the best. Please, keep all argument in this thread (but no flaming!). Anyways, which do you think is best:

Example #1
T F
R O
A R
N M
S !!

Example #2
F T
O R
R A
M N
!! S

Example #3
T R
A N
S F
O R
M !!

edit: click here to see the modified koma that mixinluv2u made that has been controversial, and the one that I am quoting in the examples.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I say Ex# 2, since that's the way manga is supposed to be read. And well, personally, I like it that way.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
clearly number 2 is best.

when i read number one, it just didn't look natural to me, and it doesn't suit with the game (which after all is based on manga an danime characters)

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO that #3 is the better one only because I read alot of books, and the text is formatted left to right. I'm pretty sure option one would suit avid manga readers or those that read things that are of a foreign language like chinese or japanese. I don't like #2 at all, because it gets really confusing unless your REALLY REALLY used to reading like that, and i'm pretty sure that alot of subbed manga goes like #1 not #2.
Example for | Num Exa | Exa Num
number | Two for | for three
three |

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Example #1 is the easiest to read, so I'd go with that. Not everyone is used to the 'right-to-left' reading in manga.

#2 would only be good for manga readers, like myself.
unsure.gif

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say Ex# 2, since that's the way manga is supposed to be read. And well, personally, I like it that way.

ya same here i think a change might even overcomplicate things a bit.

Example #1 is the easiest to read, so I'd go with that. Not everyone is used to the 'right-to-left' reading in manga.

#2 would only be good for manga readers, like myself.
unsure.gif
Valid point, but lets be reasonable. This is a game based on mangas, so non-mangareaders probably wouldn't understand/cae about any text not needed for gameplay.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think there isnt a poll needed for this
just follow the way how it would be translated in the english manga's

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to think about the way the game would look it it were actually localized by the game companies.

They obviously wouldn't have it backward in North America/Europe.

They'd make it like option #1.

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm a big anime and manga fan, I'm also learning Japanese (very slowly), so when reading from right to left, it's no problem for me but that's WHEN IT'S IN JAPANESE!!

English goes left to right, simple as. If you want to read right to left, don't use the translation and learn Japanese for fucks sake.

Nothing is perfect when translated, the meaning, emotion, etc. can't always be conveyed the same way in two different languages, the fonts that are used for Japanese, don't necessarily have an English equivalent, so we have to comprimise. We're losing some of the essence of the dialogue just by translating it, we don't need butchered english helping it along.

I voted #1, y'know, the one that makes sense.

(sorry for the rant)

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country

Whatever she said. Japanese base game, should be read Japanese.
QFT. Voted #2.

To be honest, thats just ridiculous. Why does it have to be in the format the japanese use when you're translating it to english?
I'm studying a language in depth right now at the moment (arabic) and I find that there are many things that don't have an english equilavent. Also, If you were to translate an arabic poem it CAN'T be in the same format as it is in arabic. The rhyming and the way its written( arabic poems have to written in 2 columns) are completely gone when translating to english and if you want to keep the feeling of the poem, you will have to compensate to some degree.
Japanese is a lot more complex than english and so I find it stupid to want to translate everything literally. It should be in a format that looks right in the language your translating it in e.g. english.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended