• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Transgenderism in speedrunning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a fan of GDQ for years now. Lately, however, it seems as if there is no bastion against SJWs and virtue signaling.

I thought gaming would remain one of the only forms of media that might possibly be immune to politics, but sadly, I was wrong. I thought perhaps video games could be enjoyed without adding the element of cancel culture, but again, I was wrong.

Lately, 95% of the videos posted by GDQ also feature the runners' preferred pronouns in parentheses next to their name. About 30% of them do not accurately represent the chromosomal biology of the runner being featured.

There is an entire feature called 'Frame Fatales', obviously being a play on 'Femme Fatales'. My only sticking point is, 90% of the Frame Fatales are biologically male.

I consider speedrunning and competitive gaming to be very akin to competing in athletic endeavors and professional sports. I fully disagree with the idea of allowing men to compete fairly against women.

I believe that women, throughout history, have really been given a raw deal when it comes to competition and recognition for their achievements. I also recognize that there are actual, proven, REAL physical differences between men and women, fundamentally, physically and biologically. Bone density, fat proportion, musculature, etc.

It isn't being a bigot or any kind of -phobic to state the truth that men and women ARE physically different. I personally believe that it robs women of their chance to fairly compete and to receive the recognition that they are justly due if a man can just "transition" and then get into a fistfight with a person who has been a female for her entire life. Fuck you, Fallon Fox.

By the same token, I believe that women in gaming are vastly under-represented. Girls LOVE video games just like guys do. But, guys typically don't have to deal with the level of harassment that women do when they play games online. Yes, trolls are trolls, but what women receive is quite a bit worse than just having a 15-year-old scream homophobic and racial slurs at you because you murked his ass on Call of Duty.

The reasons I am not down with how GDQ is making an issue about a speedrunner's chosen gender identity are myriad, but the number one reason is that I believe that "transgendered" speedrunners are essentially guilty of what can be likened to stolen valor. I do not believe any human being can change his or her gender. I believe your gender is defined by your chromosomes, not your feelings. Your dangly bits DO determine your gender AND your sex. Fewer than 1% of humans on the planet suffer from a condition like Klinefelter Syndrome, or are actual hermaphrodites. All of the rest of them, in my personal opinion, are simply boys who think they're girls, or girls who think they're boys. Mutilating your organs and taking hormones to be a better fake version of what you can never be isn't going to actually make you the man or woman you fantasize about being.

The qualifier that makes a speedrunner whom is demanding personal pronouns that do not match their dangly bits guilty of stolen valor is the fact that there are millions of ACTUAL female gamers out there, just as talented and committed and passionate as any male gamer. The ones demanding that you refer to them as the opposite sex, regardless of the fact that they have to shave their neckbeards and still have deep voices and prominent Adam's Apples (and in almost all cases, a set of functional cock-and-balls), are stealing glory and respect from ACTUAL women.

The secondary reason that this new snowflakery bothers me is that it takes away from the game, entirely. I just came to see someone stomp the shit out of Final Fantasy IV. I don't CARE about your fantasy regarding your genitals. I just want gaming to be the one refuge, the one aspect of modern existence that isn't subject to this recent virtue signaling/cancel culture/woke/scold/SJW/snowflake life. Just play the goddamned game, people.

How do you feel about this? Do you think it matters enough what a speedrunner or gamer identifies as that a community event like this needs to be shaped by the fantasy of a few folks suffering from a mental disorder? Does it add ANYTHING to a speedrun to see personal pronouns assigned to the runner? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who identify as "transgender" or believe that "transitioning" is an actual thing that humans can do. Please join me in this debate.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one speed runner I follow, I remember telling him in Twitch "Please don't ever try to become a girl!" His response was "Don't worry bro, I won't!"

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Politics infects everything because people are political.

Let people play dress up if they want to, I don't give a hoot. I am interested in your statements on demographics though, because the inclusion of 'trans' players has no impact on the number of biological females engaged in high level gaming.

This may be hard for some to hear but women at gaming events are not under represented. If you remove shitty phone games from the picture, demographic breakdowns are heavily weighted in favour of males and that's unlikely to change. The disparity only gets deeper when you get to high levels of play because it's overwhelmingly men who put that kind of time and effort into the hobby, to a point where they can do it professionally. The only thing stopping women from being represented more is women not caring about video games. Also briefly, contrary to popular belief, men deal with more general harassment than women do on a regular basis. It's not even a close comparison.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just how they want to be addressed. You don't have to agree with it, but I don't think it really takes anything away from watching speedruns as a whole. I can understand your point on competition, atleast in regards to physical sports, but in gaming there generally isn't afaik male/female categories so I feel the point is moot.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I believe that women in gaming are vastly under-represented" and then goes on to dictate who is and isn't allowed to call themselves a woman.

Allow me to come back with a one-liner:

Stop worrying about what's in other peoples pants if you're not trying to get in them.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I very casually watch speedruns, only tuning in when I'm linked videos from friends telling me that xyz run is super cool, or such. Therefore, I don't care about the runner themself, and care more about the skill shown off, cuz that's what the speedrun is about, the gameplay, not gender identity. Just show me cool tricks and glitches to complete old games wildly fast.

That being said, pro gaming isn't akin to sports in the sense that women and men should be split. It's not like football or wrestling where your muscle mass matters--unless you want to argue that a man's thumb is stronger than a woman's, therefore it's unfair to pit them against each other or something.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All I have to say to OP is that people are people. It doesn't matter what gender they are. It doesn't what they identify as. As long as they aren't causing you or anyone else any harm what does it matter. Are you going to start on furries next ? Nothing we see today is new. People have been identifying and wishing they could be an animal or a the other gender for centuries. The only thing that has changed is that these people have been able to be what they want to be, because they can see other people living how they want to. If it makes them happy why take that away from them ? Are they hurting you by being happy ?

As far as GDQ tho, there is so much toxic bullshit that goes on behind the scenes its not worth it anymore.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always love that the people who are offended about trans people are the ones complaining about people being offended. I put it to the people that the OP is, in fact, the truest of snowflakes here.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And in the other part of your head you have Uiaad saying "go rip him limb from fucking Limb. PAINT THE FORUM RED!!!"
I am going to keep it friendly and just post the following.

“Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than anyone on the temp”

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If only identifying as something would make us become that thing...

That superhero dream...

identifying as anything actually has nothing to do with this thread because its irrelevant. Being transgender in no way affects a speedrun in anyway shape or form.
Do transgender people have any advantage in speedrunning ? No

It's a complete non issue

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone with skillz is someone with skillz. Women are underrepresented tough so they stand out I guess.

bell1-1010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Living proof that you can be articulate in your writing and still manage to say nothing worth reading...

Claiming your context is not bigot or “any kind of-phobic” it’s not really up to you to decide.
Deciding that the “valor of millions of ACTUAL female gamers out there“ needs to be defended from (Apparently) people suffering with a mental disorders” is, again, not really up to you, women have a voice, they will speak up if they need to.

But hey, as long you’re not harassing or discriminating anyone, you can still think it the way it suits you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs