Not open for further replies.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Alejandro Velasco,
  1. Add these to your SD card: 3DS_NVRAMtool and CTRTransfer (Type D9)
    • sdmc:/3DS_NVRAMtool/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
      • This is if you use Homebrew Launcher and 3DSX apps. Otherwise, FBI install the CIA version to HOME Menu.
    • sdmc:/gm9/scripts/CTRTransfer (Type D9).gm9
  2. Insert the SD card to the 3DS, turn on the system, hold the (START) button to access Luma3DS chainloader.
  3. GodMode9 → (HOME) button → Scripts...CTRTransfer (Type D9)Reset NVRAM image → (START) button → etc.
  4. Exit the script. Press (START) to exit GodMode9 and boot to HOME Menu.
  5. Homebrew Launcher3DS_NVRAMtool Press B to write nvram.bin to 3DS → press (START) to exit app.
  6. Go to System SettingsOther Settings. Change all the information in:
    • Profile: User Name, Birthday, Region Settings
    • Date & Time: Today's Date, Current Time
  7. Go to Profile → Nintendo DS Profile. Change the Message and Color.
  8. Go to System SettingsNintendo DS ConnectionsOK.
  9. When the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup appears, press (B) to exit.
  10. Back out with (B) button and exit System Settings pressing the ☒ Close.
Hi again. I have followed this guide by now. The 3DS touchscreen is still not working in DS mode, bottom right corner still detected as touched. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By the way, the touch doesn't work in DS Download play (as expected) and when I close download play (Press B to go back to download play menu) both screens go white and the app gets stuck in that state. I have to press the home button and close it to fix it. I don't know if this is related to the touchscreen issue or it is because of the Homebrew Launcher injection into the Download play app or something.

About the NVRAM, I also tried dumping my other 3DS's nvram.bin using the 3DS_NVRAMtool and copying it to the SD card of the 3DS with the touchscreen issue. Went to the tool and wrote that nvram.bin, then tested the Nintendo DS Connections behavior. Touchscreen still not working, even though my other 3DS's profile data appears in the Nintendo DS Profile menu.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Alejandro Velasco, your nonworking DS mode touchscreen is exactly like this person's 3DS.
CodyWGamer and I were never able to fix his 3DS. We tried everything we could think of.
  • Reinstalling TWL system title CIAs.
  • Touchscreen calibration (System Settings → Other Settings → Touch Screen)
  • Format System Memory (don't do this as it'll erase the user profile & Nintendo 3DS folder)
  • Cross systems (CTR+TWL)Transfer {ctrnand_full.bin, twln.bin, twlp.bin partitions) between his o3DS ⇄ my o2DS.
  • Reflash or reset NVRAM image.
  • Screen cleaning, even though the touchscreen works on 3DS mode but not DS(i) mode.
None of those worked for Cody. I think this broken touchscreen bug is hardware based but have no clue how one goes about fixing this.

There was one other person who presented a broken DS(i) mode. His n2DSXL was bought with a hardbricked NVRAM, possibly an accidental drop by the previous owner that damaged the NVRAM chip.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Alejandro Velasco, your nonworking DS mode touchscreen is exactly like this person's 3DS.
CodyWGamer and I were never able to fix his 3DS. We tried everything we could think of.
  • Reinstalling TWL system title CIAs.
  • Touchscreen calibration (System Settings → Other Settings → Touch Screen)
  • Format System Memory (don't do this as it'll erase the user profile & Nintendo 3DS folder)
  • Cross systems (CTR+TWL)Transfer {ctrnand_full.bin, twln.bin, twlp.bin partitions) between his o3DS ⇄ my o2DS.
  • Reflash or reset NVRAM image.
  • Screen cleaning, even though the touchscreen works on 3DS mode but not DS(i) mode.
None of those worked for Cody. I think this broken touchscreen bug is hardware based but have no clue how one goes about fixing this.

There was one other person who presented a broken DS(i) mode. His n2DSXL was bought with a hardbricked NVRAM, possibly an accidental drop by the previous owner that damaged the NVRAM chip.
Sad to read this, it's actually my sister's 3DS that I'm trying to fix and she really likes those NDS games. Did @Confused3dsUser ever fix his?

Also, do you know if the Download play DS white screen is related?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad to read this, it's actually my sister's 3DS that I'm trying to fix and she really likes those NDS games. Did @Confused3dsUser ever fix his?

Also, do you know if the Download play DS white screen is related?
Same results for Confused3dsUser, albeit his was a New 3DS. Everything done on Cody's o3DS was also tried on Confused's n3DS [I have/had both o2DS and n3DSXL to cross (CTR+TWL)Transfer].

The white screen in Download Play could either be outdated TWL_FIRM (requires updating to 11.13), missing/uninstalled Download Play, broken DS(i) mode due to CTRTransfer (incorrectly listed TWL system titles & DSiWare games from swapping the NAND's title.db), or hardbricked NVRAM.

Can you take a hex look at your o3DS nvram.bin image? Make sure you're not examining the image of the working o3DS. Use HxD if you don't have a hex editor preference. Compare yours versus what should be found in this example. Does yours look anything like the * block 0x000–2FF?

Edit - * What does the nvram.bin looks like at the top?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It looks good, the header is the same as the one in the example, then the CRC16 hash is BA 64. The rest of the file also looks good, I could find the Wi-Fi and profile info at the end. I attach the file so you can take a look.

Btw, I deleted nvram.bin from the sd:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool folder and dumped the nvram.bin again with the 3DS_NVRAMtool to make sure to be looking at the right file.

Attachments

• nvram_laura.zip
    807 bytes · Views: 144

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's something else. The nvram.bin file generated by your CTRTransfer script is always detected with a bad crc16 by the 3DS_NVRAMtool after being generated.

In fact, something happened: Yesterday, I started noticing that my R4 cart (the good one) wasn't being detected by the 3DS anymore and sometimes it froze (being in Home menu) whenever I put the cart in and I had to reboot. Trying to fix it, I repeated the procedure you told me for repairing the NVRAM, as follows:

I deleted the nvram.bin from the SD. I generated the nvram.bin again using the script. Went to the 3DS_NVRAMtool and wrote the file to the 3DS. Checked crc16, detected as bad and repaired. Wrote the file to 3DS again. After doing this, I closed the tool, closed homebrew launcher and inserted the R4 cartridge. The cart was detected but with a weird looking icon (something like a mini collage of pictures), I tried to open it and got the following:

"
An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic

Process ID: 67115840

Address: 0x000005ea
Error code: 0x0000005e

Press any button to reboot
"

Just to be clear, the cart did work in that console when the touchscreen problem first appeared. I don't really know for sure when the cart stopped working but it was after I started trying to fix the touchscreen issue (even after I had installed the CFW into the console). I guess it has something to do with the NVRAM or TWL procedures.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's something else. The nvram.bin file generated by your CTRTransfer script is always detected with a bad crc16 by the 3DS_NVRAMtool after being generated.

In fact, something happened: Yesterday, I started noticing that my R4 cart (the good one) wasn't being detected by the 3DS anymore and sometimes it froze (being in Home menu) whenever I put the cart in and I had to reboot. Trying to fix it, I repeated the procedure you told me for repairing the NVRAM, as follows:

I deleted the nvram.bin from the SD. I generated the nvram.bin again using the script. Went to the 3DS_NVRAMtool and wrote the file to the 3DS. Checked crc16, detected as bad and repaired. Wrote the file to 3DS again. After doing this, I closed the tool, closed homebrew launcher and inserted the R4 cartridge. The cart was detected but with a weird looking icon (something like a mini collage of pictures), I tried to open it and got the following:

"

"

Just to be clear, the cart did work in that console when the touchscreen problem first appeared. I don't really know for sure when the cart stopped working but it was after I started trying to fix the touchscreen issue (even after I had installed the CFW into the console). I guess it has something to do with the NVRAM or TWL procedures.
im going to take a wild guess that it was when ya ran ahead and flashed ntrboot to the card. seeing as nvram and twl procedures had nothing to do with flashcarts.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
im going to take a wild guess that it was when ya ran ahead and flashed ntrboot to the card. seeing as nvram and twl procedures had nothing to do with flashcarts.
Nope, cart worked after that and cart still works in the undamaged console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But maybe they have something to do with the 3DS ability to detect DS carts.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks good, the header is the same as the one in the example, then the CRC16 hash is BA 64. The rest of the file also looks good, I could find the Wi-Fi and profile info at the end. I attach the file so you can take a look.

Btw, I deleted nvram.bin from the sd:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool folder and dumped the nvram.bin again with the 3DS_NVRAMtool to make sure to be looking at the right file.
Nothing looks out a place for the image you provided. That CRC16 is different for every system. 0xBA64 (in endian) is correct for nvram_laura.bin. You can check this for yourself in HxD by highlighting block(h): 2C–163 and clicking AnalysisChecksums...CRC-16.

If this touchscreen bug was related to a corrupt NVRAM, the simplest way to fixing this would have been to replace the WiFi board module.

The script created nvram.bin image has bad CRC16 hashes due to the erased WiFi slots filled with FF hex values. This is what a reset NVRAM would be after a Format System Memory.

"

"

Does the o3DS has the same problem reading and running 3DS game cartridges?

Luma3DS v10.0.1 does not provide insightful error reports whenever something crashes. Do you get a different error code with the older Luma3DS v9.1 ( replace the sdmc:/boot.firm ) ?

I can't interpret that exact error because it's too vague and doesn't appear to be documented on GBAtemp. There are previous crashes with that exact process id but with different address & error code. Almost none of those crashes are alike despite the similar errors. For example, here's a o3DS that had a disconnected WiFi board where Luma v10.0.1 and v9.1 reported the same problem differently.
Luma3DS v10.0.1 said:
Error Type: generic
Address: 0x00000cea
Error code: 0x000000ce
Press any button to reboot.

Luma3DS v9.1 said:
Error Type: generic
Process ID: 25
Process name: nwm
Process tittle ID: 0x0004013000002d02
Address: 0x00109466
Error code: 0xf9606c02
Press any button to reboot.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

likudo

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
no updates huh

I'm having the almost same condition as you guys,
using 3DS XL (not new)

found that DS games on my DSTT with NTR Launcher
every touch I made goes to the top left of the screen.
even in the DS WiFi setting in 3DS's system setting, I cannot use touch controls.

But I found only one exception, that this is very very weird and
I couldn't find any other touch-working games but
ZOO KEEPER's touch screen control is working perfectly.
you can try that and tell me.

so in conclusion, I hardly believe this is a kinda software issue, not hardware things at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7