Torrenting Programs

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Jiehfeng, May 13, 2014.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    Heya guys, I just wanted to ask some questions about torrenting programs.
    I use Bittorrent, never had a problem with it but I noticed it takes up a lot of bandwidth. So is there any way I can change the settings or is there a better torrenting program in my case? Cause my bandwidth is going out like crazy, I have 4 gigs left and I had 85 the start of the month.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Delete/stop torrents after you finish downloading them.
    That's about all you can do.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    The majority of that is probably from uploaded data. Once a torrent is finished download (As well as whilst being downloaded), the client uploads the files to others who are trying to download it.
    Simply stopping the torrent from seeding will prevent this, however is a fairly bad idea as it can cause torrents to die quickly (You should always seed a torrent back for a 1:1 ratio).

Wasted data is a problem. Have you ever been downloading something via your browser and the download cut out somewhere along the way and got corrupted? Bittorrent clients solve this problem by performing crc checks on the parts[of the torrent], if the crc is incorrect, the bittorent client will attempt to redownload the incorrect data.

You have several options:
    1. Limit your upload speed to a reasonable speed that won't kill your internet data. (Recommended)
    2. Stop torrents from seeding. (This is known as 'hit and run' and is considered a bad practice, as well as harmful to torrent and could get you banned from certain sites). (Not Recommended)
    3. Seed torrents back 1:1 and then stop them from seeding. (Recommended)
    4. Monitor the wasted data to verify that it's not caused by constant redownloading of bad parts. (Slim chance that here lies the problem)
    5. Don't torrent...

Jiehfeng likes this.
  4. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    As for programs, on most of my PC's I have uTorrent and on my gamming desktop I have Tixati. Those are the only two that I still use nowadays, plus, the programs are very light.

5. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Deluge all day

6. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria

Ah, I think I'll go with a minimum upload speed. Thanks for the info guys!

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Note that this will also limit your download speed, at least that was my experience.
    The system is set up so that people who upload will be prioritized over people who don't. I gained no benefit from limiting my upload speed back when it was really slow, because it severely affected my download speed as well.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  8. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria

I'll give it a go anyway, if the download speed doesn't decrease for me a lot then it'll be great.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Not sure about Bittorrent, but with uTorrent you can go into the preferences and set up a "transfer cap" that will automatically stop any torrents running once the cap has been reached within a certain number of days. If I were you, I'd set it to around 10GB under your data cap so you'll have enough bandwidth for whatever else.

[​IMG]

Jiehfeng likes this.
  10. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Hah, nice. I'll check that out.
    Also, is there a way to limit youtube's upload speed? Cause my net speed is 8mbps so the videos load pretty fast. I usually don't view more than 1 min of a a video and youtube has almost downloaded the whole video for me. So is there a way I can limit the download speed so the downloaded bar (grey) goes very close the the circle thingy? And if it is possible, what speed do you guys recommend?

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I always have my torrents stop seeding when the torrent download is complete, by setting it to stop after seeding 1%. Seeding is how people get caught. I'm a leecher, and damn-proud to not have a single DMCA letter in my mailbox.

12. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria

You get DMCA letters for seeding? Is that detectable? ;o

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, seeding is usually how people get caught pirating stuff, so I avoid it at all cost. Unless you pay for a VPN, then that shit's private.