Hacking Torrent client for Wii?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah chill. People are entitled to their own opinions.

My opinion is why "waste" my Wii on it I could easily do torrents with my pc.
Others might not have a pc so it would be great for them.

Now if you don't have a pc, and you are with most torrent sites. you will get warnings when your wifi drops, and if you don't and you manage to seed to rules...lets say 72 hours seeding. If you do this often you will shorten the life of your wii. Google if interested about what happens to Wiis that overheat after being online 24/7.

If anyone is thinking about running things like torrents from a Wii fairly then I would suggest investing in some extra cooling.

The people that thought it would be cool to have and swap over to pc, well it's ok I suppose, just not for me (I have a pc).

We can have different opinions without calling the site a "cesspool"

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Slimmmmmm said:
Woah chill. People are entitled to their own opinions.

My opinion is why "waste" my Wii on it I could easily do torrents with my pc.
Others might not have a pc so it would be great for them.

Now if you don't have a pc, and you are with most torrent sites. you will get warnings when your wifi drops, and if you don't and you manage to seed to rules...lets say 72 hours seeding. If you do this often you will shorten the life of your wii. Google if interested about what happens to Wiis that overheat after being online 24/7.

If anyone is thinking about running things like torrents from a Wii fairly then I would suggest investing in some extra cooling.

The people that thought it would be cool to have and swap over to pc, well it's ok I suppose, just not for me (I have a pc).

We can have different opinions without calling the site a "cesspool"

I agree , if it comes in anyway handy , that will be cool , but since we all have pc , so what the point , and this is just an opinion , if you don't agree that's cool , don't jump of your chair please
tongue.gif

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*shrug* I'm not the one throwing derogatory names around and putting words into peoples mouths (where did I say he didn't read?).

And on the cooling point, I've left mine on (by accident) over a weekend with a full game running and never had a problem aside from a very warm console. Yeah, overheating is a very valid concern, but I'd wager a bet that most who have the issue in the first place are either living in a very hot climate or don't give the machine enough breathing room. You'll get the same heat concern with any other piece of electronics in the same situation.

The ultimate fact is that there are no technical reasons for a torrent client not to be made. With the state of homebrew currently, it is very much possible if someone was to get down and do it.

Do I care though? Not really. I have about a dozen other machines around that I can delegate torrent work to if I wanted. But that's not necessary. But I do see, as part of a larger picture, where this would be a very nice app to have on hand.

And the site is a cesspool until the population IN GENERAL starts to actually read and not spam up threads with useless garbage making it even hard to dig through (*starts over at the 3.4 thread and Wiigator backup launcher thread*).

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
get the iPhone/iPod UI for uTorrent, and enjoy! I have for quite a while... just jot down all the mini**** torrent ID numbers (the 7 number code of the torrent in the URL), and click the + to type said number in to add it!

mowfax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well the biggest point in my opinion that speaks PRO torrent on wii is:
The Wii sucks MUCH less power while seeding/downloading than my PC.
Energy is expensive nowadays... so that a alone would be a very useful reason.

harryk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Woah, I didn't mean to get so many people so angry here :wtf:

My point is:
- I go to work with my laptop, can't download torrents there
- I could start a torrent for some new TV show episode at home before I go to work
- The torrent finishes and seeds for like 8 hours. Also very nice for other people.
- When I come home I start the MPlayer on my Wii and watch the episode.
Plus, the power saving aspect is very nice, too.

Seems like a perfect match to me. Maybe I'll get into it myself and see what's left of my C knowledge...

felix123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
harryk said:
- I could start a torrent for some new TV show episode at home before I go to work
- The torrent finishes and seeds for like 8 hours. Also very nice for other people.
That.
If you can get RSS working, you don't even need to manually do the first step. Plus if this works in standby mode, it would save even more power.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
is there a torrent client on xbox ?

imo, torrent on wii is kinda dead in the egg because of many restrictions (RAM, storage access speed,etc), no matter what you are dreaming/speculating

seems rather pointless and dangerous (welcome wii brickers) too

harryk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Wow, I didn't even know there were RSS feeds for episodes. What a nice idea
wink.gif

I doubt standy download mode would be possible yet. Downloading/reading/writing to SD seems like a hard job while Wii is on standby.

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jacobeian said:
is there a torrent client on xbox ?

imo, torrent on wii is kinda dead in the egg because of many restrictions (RAM, storage access speed,etc), no matter what you are dreaming/speculating

seems rather pointless and dangerous (welcome wii brickers) too

My God, what does storage access speed and RAM have to do with a torrent client? Storage acess speed would only be a problem if you had a 1gbit INTERNET CONNECTION, which i bet most people do not have! And RAM usage...where do i start? We have emulators, media players, games, but we can't have a tiny torrent client?! Do you know how much ram uTorrent uses? And we're talking about a full featured torrent client!

james4204

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it would only be of use if you could run your software off of the external hd rather then burning to dvd everytime

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
To the OP, if you code in C then there are a few open source torrent clients you could try to port.

People saying that it has really bad sides just means it's more challenging. I can see lots of great uses for this in a very stripped down way and torrents have great advantages for distributing FAST, so this could be good for some developers working in a group to share files quicker.
Having said that, to "make" a .torrent file on a Wii would be really pushing it on larger files. hash checking is out of the question, so conventional clients are a no no, but there are others that don't "check".

Using it for normasl torrenting imo if you have a pc is insane, but I did think about that and understand some people here only really have access to the internet through their Wiis. I don't think it's "pointless" , just not useful for most.

It would be a challenge to make it work, but it could be done. The WebUI is a great idea, and I will be one of those people to set that up and make myself a few custom tools to help browse from the comfort of my chair with a remote but let the PC do the grunt work.

*EDIT
Why has this been moved to NDS - Homebrew Games & Applications ?

Should it not be in the Wii section
tongue.gif

Chemical_Warfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, at least they left the shadow copy.

edit: looks like it was moved back

note: this actually wouldnt be that bad of an idea for ceretain usages and whatnot. who's to say where it could go?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok if you know how (I won't write a guide) you can have torrents from your wii (kinda)

WebUi + http://tor.imageshack.us/tor/ + some reading = a cheat way to grab and seed ready for collection.
Info:
The popular media hosting website ImageShack launched a service that lets you download torrent files onto their servers. When the download is complete, you can download the files from ImageShack via an http link.
This ain't what your after, but might help the OP out, hope it does. I myself am a bit sceptical about the terms on imageshack, but that's just me.

setack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
felix123 said:
harryk said:
That.
If you can get RSS working, you don't even need to manually do the first step. Plus if this works in standby mode, it would save even more power.

bump, anyone which finally got into this? Any news? It would be really useful for this scenario.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work