Hacking Tony Hawk

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its not the fact that the microsd is too slow. The quicker ones like the Kingston Japan microsd still run the game at the same speed. The game itself needs patching or the R4 firmware needs updating to make it work quicker. Its only 1 game so if you really wanted to play it at full speed that much you could just wait until you can pick up a cheap one second hand or in a sale.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a jap kingston as well and Downhill Jam runs slow for me. You can just feel that it's struggling.

I don't get how a firmware update could fix it. Being a slot-1 card wouldn't it just work like the old SNES backup units where it loads the rom into the ram and then sets start pointer to the start of the rom? Or does it actually load the rom into it's memory and the bios passes the instructions to ds as and when they're executed (if that makes sense)?

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at what percentage does this game run on an ezflash 4 lite dlx...b/c if that also runs at 80% than yes its playable b/c i have no problems playing it on my ez4 dlx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got a jap kingston as well and Downhill Jam runs slow for me. You can just feel that it's struggling.

I don't get how a firmware update could fix it. Being a slot-1 card wouldn't it just work like the old SNES backup units where it loads the rom into the ram and then sets start pointer to the start of the rom? Or does it actually load the rom into it's memory and the bios passes the instructions to ds as and when they're executed (if that makes sense)?

The r4 doesn't have onboard ram - it plays directly from the microsd card (imagine a wildcard playing snes games direct from floppy :> ).

It just patches all calls on the fly.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually really glad to see a topic about this -- I think it's kind of frustrating when people sum up the R4's compatibility as "everything works 100% except for some freezing in PoR if you're not using a Toshiba card". For those of us that aren't really into Castlevania games (but do enjoy hurling our eSelves downhill on wheels at remarkable speeds whoa-whoa-whoa!!!), it's sad to be told that compatibility is perfect when Downhill Jam's choppier than a vegetable-slicing circus.

I'm inclined to side with those of you who say that Downhill Jam's issues are not necessarily related to microSD speeds, but issues that will hopefully be corrected in later iterations of flashcart firmware. Sk8land works 100% on the R4, and from a technical standpoint it's pretty much the same song and dance -- 3D cel-shaded graphics with streaming audio. Additionally, while Downhill Jam plays much cleaner on my G6 Lite (which is incidentally where I play it from all the time), there are still a few little framerate hitches that not even the fixed-capacity awesomeness that is the G-fucking-6 could correct.

You can certainly see the difference when playing it on the legal game card. And I would just play it on the legal card, but I love the R4 too much -- and any game card that usurps that the R4's resting place (read: inside my DS) is a game card that won't be seeing much use.

Hopefully they get a fix together for it sometime soon. I'd like to play it from my R4DS without issue.

joedodgy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, Downhill Jam plays like a dog in races on the R4. It's funny tho, because it's obviously to do with the way it is patching this particular game. The DS-X plays this game at decent speed (no slow motion), just with graphical glitches.

I'd definitely prefer the graphical glitches running at a decent speed, compared with accurate graphics on the R4 running in slow-motion.

oh well, who said the DS-X isn't good for anything?
smile.gif

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok if sk8land works fine than i couldnt give a crap about the dumb racing game..when i read the first time i thought he was referring to sk8land...and i dont care much for castlevania game either = all the games i like will work just fine :-)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a jap kingston as well and Downhill Jam runs slow for me.  You can just feel that it's struggling.

I don't get how a firmware update could fix it.  Being a slot-1 card wouldn't it just work like the old SNES backup units where it loads the rom into the ram and then sets start pointer to the start of the rom? Or does it actually load the rom into it's memory and the bios passes the instructions to ds as and when they're executed (if that makes sense)?

The r4 doesn't have onboard ram - it plays directly from the microsd card (imagine a wildcard playing snes games direct from floppy :> ).

It just patches all calls on the fly.

Aaaah, nice one. I totally had the wrong idea about how it worked. I just assumed it worked like the old Wildcards and stuff! Damn, I'm even more impressed by the cart now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.