Today, the Nintendo Game Boy turns 30 years old

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 21, 2019.

1. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    I hate that gray old color, looks low quality plastic... I prefer everything in black, after so many years its still looking like new...

Every old stuff in that gray or white color I ever had turned very yellow disgusting color (PC's, Dreamcast, keyboard\mouse, Fridge...), they need a UV treatment to return back to original state.

I only buy my stuff in black... Black PS4, Black X360, Black controllers, Black TV frames, black phones, sadly dark gray Switch (there was no pure original black version) made a table and painted the wood with cool metallic black paint (similar to my 3DS but a bit more black), I love BLACK...

However I never liked gameboy's and never will neither I ever wanted to buy one... I was more a PC and Sega guy back then, even before I was born I think my father was one of the few here to have a PC (though I only remember the Pentium 1 with crap MS-DOS, 1995 was the best year when I saw Wind95:huh:, was like magic, though MS-Dos was still the 1st boot and had to manually boot to windows :ph34r:), however I remember that until like 1995 or 1996 our TV was black and white and with no remote controller even remember playing some games in it using antena input since it didnt even had scart lol what a garbage, though we already had colors in the PC monitor :bow:.

Last edited by guily6669, Apr 22, 2019
  2. Wanderer0891

Wanderer0891 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Happy 30th Anniversary to the Game Boy. Even after all these years I still have my Grape Game Boy Color and my Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon game carts. I really should get the batteries in those changed at some point...

3. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Sadly i took mine apart and combined it with a payphone to my alien home planet

Last edited by TheZander, Apr 22, 2019
  4. face235

face235 GBATemp's Official Lurker

Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Beyond the 4th Wall
    At least I still have my GBA. My OG GB broke 20 years ago, never got a GBC.

5. hakd88

hakd88 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2019
    Australia
    You said it looks like a grey brick, it makes me think of "Luma3DS cfw Brick Protection" and the joke "So I can drop a brick on a 3DS with Luma3DS cfw without it breaking because it has Brick Protection?"
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6. digixman

digixman Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2018
    Hong Kong
    DIGIretroboy

02-s.

Last edited by digixman, Apr 22, 2019
  7. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    As much as I enjoyed the GB back then, I'd rather do this on my beloved Switch:

Mr. Looigi and CrisFTW like this.
  8. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Ooh, man. That big 'ol grey brick has given me some of my best gaming memories as a kid, playing Pokemon Blue, and Silver leaning over the couch slightly, to get some light on the screen so I can...

just get a... freakin'...

good angle, c'mon...

maybe if I mess with the contrast and...

AHA! There we go. Yeah.. Despite its shortcomings, still a huge part of my (and certainly many others') childhood.

9. hakd88

hakd88 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2019
    Australia
    Did you like my joke where you can drop a brick on a 3ds with luma3ds brick protection without it breaking? (in this case, the brick is the gameboy)

Note: Don't try this, you'll break something.

10. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Oh I don’t know. I’m pretty sure I’d throw money at a GameBoy “Mini”.

Though I’m thinking a backlit GameBoy Color, modern high refresh rate screen, in the format of a GameBoy pocket. With at least 50 of the best games. With, wait for it..... An actual cartridge slot, so we can play our collection of games from the good old days.

Are you listening Nintendo? Take my money now, I’ll throw it at you for this wee gem to add to my collection.

And yes, I know we can achieve this ourselves these days. But it’s not the same as getting an official Nintendo version.

11. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Have you thought about buying a replacement screen made out of glass instead of plastic?

I just updated my original GameBoy, GameBoy Pocket (Silver Limited Edition) and GameBoy Color. Got the glass replacement screens of eBay, silly me I accidentally ripped the LCD ribbon cable on the GameBoy Pocket, you don't have to take apart the case, but I did so to clean the insides. LCD are hard to come by so I'm just going to get another Gameboy Pocket.

12. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Totally agree, the real glass screens are a big improvement over the plastic ones. I got them for all of my GameBoy’s (except Micro, which doesn’t seem to have them) and Game Gear. If only I could find them for my Lynx as well.

xs4all likes this.
  13. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    That is the worst review I've seen for anything ever.
    Also, build quality looks poor and people in the comments are pointing out it has screen issues on some games.

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Apr 22, 2019
    supaplex likes this.
  14. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    The ones that made me chuckle were the comments because they didn’t know what turbo was for. Ok, I’m old, I remember it from back in the day. But come on, it still gets used on the occasional controller? Doesn’t it?

Even if it didn’t, come on. Ffs.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So I was OK with this. Thought nice, remember it coming into the UK at least (probably was not paying attention to Japanese fads at this point). Not so old after all.
    Then I saw

Apparently minecraft is now old enough for people to feel nostalgic over it...
    Wow I am old.

It may actually be getting worse.

Can I suggest the following for playing such a game
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3784/
    Adds colour, fixes the lag, adds the option to play as Luigi (with some different physics) and otherwise does good stuff.

Reploid and loler55 like this.
  16. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland

Mine craft, nostalgia???? Surly not, ffs, I’m older than I thought :P

Yeah, that SM2 DX hack is superb on a GameBoy Color. Really well done.

17. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The

WoW now looks really like an Super Mario World for Snes thank you thats pretty amazing I try it on my Switch!

wow its 100% better for my eyes!!

Last edited by loler55, Apr 22, 2019
  18. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Super Mario Land 2 is quite easy, compared to the first game.

I don't wanna break my old brick gameboy, so nope.

Last edited by raxadian, Apr 22, 2019
  19. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    You wouldn’t break it. The screen cover literally just lifts off, it’s only held in place with double sided tape.

You can lift it off using your nail, give the surface a wee clean if needs be. Then just plop the glass screen on. Totally worth it.

20. PapaJohn2019

PapaJohn2019 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    I just found Gameboy on the grandma cellar . I thinking to sell it on the ebbay . It is a cool game and almost work fine.