NULL

Today, the Nintendo Game Boy turns 30 years old

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 21, 2019.

1. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    What mean almost either works or dont:lol:

2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    If the screen is too scratched then it's worthless unless you fix that.

3. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    I still have my original GB. Got it for Christmas in 1989. Still looks like it did when I unboxed it 30 years ago.

4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Does anyone keep ther receipts has anyone got one from the 80s 90s be interesting to see:lol:

5. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    One of my favorite consoles of all time!

6. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    It has such a great diverse collection of titles and so many experimental things. The GB lib is surpisingly amazing. So many smaller titles that where obviously developed in rather short time and still don't feel like shovelware paired with a decent amount of larger titles like Pokémon, Zelda games, Mario platformer, the Wario platformer, Havest Moon and and and... One of the very few consoles where it's totaly worth to scroll trough all the rather unknow titles and look-up what to find. Battle City, Survival Kids (maybe the only good entry in the series), Choplifter, James Bond 007 (a good license title which was even more rare back then), Sword of Hope series, ...
    Beeing build in a time where still a single developer could easily make a handheld title and yet beeing in a time where computer games overall where fairly developed did you a favor. Happy Birthday GameBoy.

7. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    forgot to say this.
    Congratulations :D

8. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    It's just a bummer nobody really celebrated this milestone. Sure, we got a small taste of GB Studio, but that's it! I've seen not a single Youtuber talk about the DMG Game Boy on that day!

9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    A shame that all these years later, and there is still not a GOOD, proper screen replacement mod for the game boy color.

Backlighting and bivert for improved contrast is a thing with the original DMG and pocket series, but i find those screens far too blurry to be usable anymore. In other words, I'm nostalgic for the game; not so much, for the handheld's design constraints. GBC is about as far back as i would want to go on real hardware.

To date, all i have found has been among the following:
    • Tao bao screen replacement, which used a second-hand sourced cell phone screen and some custom logic board. Fit perfectly without damaging the shell, but also not mass produced nor reverse engineered. And in videos that did a teardown of a unit, it's like the chip labels were deliberately scrubbed to try and thwart copying. Kind of hilarious tp me, considering it came from one guy in China.
    • Harvesting a gba 101 screen. Not only is this already bad because those SP screens were hard enough to source already, but the required modding to the game boy color shell to fit it makes it so it doesn't hold together like a finished product.
    I'm aware there is a knockoff gbc that is rather good for its purpose, but I already have an original GBC on hand. I'd rather mod and upgrade that. But i want it to look and feel like a finished product that could have come from Nintendo that way. Get what I'm saying?

To date, I've not heard of any way to make this possible. And that's really disappointing.

10. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    There's no point in a gameboy mini, the gameboy micro already exists.

11. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    my only memory of the gameboy oh boy, that is a darn long time ago, i barely remember it.
    but i believe i was fortunate enough to play mario on it..

now im 28, back then i was in zakho (iraqi kurdistan) and i was probably around 5 years or so.
    1994 or 1995 phew..

edit: and oh ,the gameboy was not mine, it was my uncle's i have no idea where he had gotten it from... and so yeah its not like i often got to play with it, but it was a fun experience. (we owned a sega genesis back then at home , damn!)

Last edited by leonmagnus99, Apr 22, 2019
  12. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Highlighted in Bold, I thought I was the only one whom played that game, that was a fun game, but didn't like the fact it uses password system instead of the save system, however the second sequel used the save function though so there is that.
    Anybody that played Shadowgate on the NES should play the original Sword of Hope, it has a remarkably similar concept, except for the battle, Shadowgate didn't have any battling going on.

13. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Should re read my reply, reason why I broke my Pocket was because I took it apart for cleaning, you DO NOT need to take it apart and @Stwert explained it spot on what you need to do.

14. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Game Man? :tpi:

Jacklack3 likes this.
  15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Going by some of the comments in lifestyle rags said gaming types are in fact afflicted with peter pan syndrome (I thought that was for frogs/tadpoles but who knows) so might have to revise that further.

NULL