Hacking To update or not?

ramidavis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 3.4U on a non-chipped wii, using cIOS v8(latest non usb) and have installed HBC by latest twilight hack. i am using wiigator gcbackup loader, and wii backup loader 0.3 gamma, and installed hackmii's DVDx for 3.4. I have a WAD manager, but only used it to put on cIOS, could care less about VCwarez. I want to know if i should update, or if some one is working on a way to patch-install this IOS. As long as my HBC, DVDx wiigator, and 0.3 gamma will still work, thats all i care about. Also, i have not gotten a wii message from nintendo yetabout this update... Normally they send a note telling you there is a new version. I can not get into the wii shop, it is telling me to update. So i know the update is out there, i just never got the nintendo release note about it... Strange. So, any help? Wait it out or just update and be done with it?

ramidavis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the best of both worlds, the latest system menu and features, and homebrew. As for the backups, they are legal copies. I only play backups of what i own. Thats why i need the shop to work. I do not pirate anything, i just use the backups to preserve my games. I am also against chipping, unless it is the last reort. The only wad on my wii is the cIOS. Oh, and i was wrong, i have cIOS 249 rev7, not rev8.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
well, you are already on 3.4 so you can not take benefit of the "pre-3.3" advantage anyways (signature bug everywhere sot it does not require a CIOS to install stuff)

then, you have IOS249 (CIOS) already installed so you still have a way to play backups from a Backup Launcher or/and install upcoming CIOS versions

finally, IOS249 is not overwitten or deleted by the last update, neither are any previously installed channels (Homebrew Channel or Backup Loader channel)

Conclusion: I would say it's safe for you to update, you won't really lose anything to go from 3.4 to 4.0

ramidavis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I will wait it out a few days anyway though, to see what hackmii, and others release. Hoping to see a new TP hack, or maybe they will come out with "mario galaxy" hack or what not.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Technically, the TP hack is still there, the bug it uses is still in the Zelda game anyways and have not been patched

The thing is the System menu now implements a smarter way to detect and delete the modified game save used to trigger the hack. Note that this is their third (or fourth) attempt to do this and that twiizer team always found a quick workaround before ...

not going to happen this time unfortunately, anything involving modified saves seems to definitively BLOCKED, which means that any other hack should rely on another technique, no matter what the bugged game is

ramidavis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just heard about system menu 4.0 updater by Waninkoko, downloading it now. Now, lets see if hackmii does anything, or just leaves us hanging, waiting for a new hack...
Waninkoko, if you are reading this, you the MAN. I do not care what they say about you, your stuff is great. Maybe Waninkoko should release his own channel or something, to compete with hackmii lol.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
his own channel to do what ?

what he released is nice but it's not a new revolutionnary hack
it simply downloads and patches IOS60 to re-enable the trucha bug (which is in fact code publically shared by hackmii people in patchmii) then download/install system menu/shop/ios61
without any modification (just like a normal update would do so I'm not sure why it was *really* necessary to include that too)

a new hack would mean to find a way to run homebrew code on a virgin Wii (4.0 and no HBC neither CIOS installed)... actually, only hackmii people have the ability to do that

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The urge to just update through Nintendo is rising.

What does a re-enabled trucha bug allow one to do?

Convincing myself to update has been a process. The only thing I'm kind of wary about now is if somehow in the future Nintendo can somehow remove homebrew (or maybe more likely?) cIOS.

I guess no one would have the answer to that now.

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
About the same problem here.

3.2E installed, no pirated wads, some cIOS lies somewhere in the NAND, don't know which one. And a shitload of legit VC and WW-Titles, some import (Back with the Wii Shop Region exploit) channels and discs. No Backups.

So, I'm in desperate need to be able to launch channels from SD-Card. And I do not really trust Waninkoko, also it's comfirmed that preloader does not work anymore, also no region unlocking - currently - on 4.0.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PrincessPeach said:

3.2E installed, no pirated wads, some cIOS lies somewhere in the NAND, don't know which one. And a shitload of legit VC and WW-Titles, some import (Back with the Wii Shop Region exploit) channels and discs. No Backups.

So, I'm in desperate need to be able to launch channels from SD-Card. And I do not really trust Waninkoko, also it's comfirmed that preloader does not work anymore, also no region unlocking - currently - on 4.0.

if you don't trust Waninkoko just figure it out your self, if not for Waninkoko there would be no backups loading at all (i know you don't use it)
and if your VC and WW are legit why do you want region free?

sems to me that you don't need a hacked wii, cuz you just don't use the hacked functions, thats what you are saying ...

if that is the case, just update your wii normally

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kimikal27 said:
PrincessPeach said:

if you don't trust Waninkoko just figure it out your self, if not for Waninkoko there would be no backups loading at all (i know you don't use it)

sems to me that you don't need a hacked wii, cuz you just don't use the hacked functions, thats what you are saying ...

As I don't really need to, but there is still the issue of my import discs for Cube and Wii, and also some Japanese VC-titles.

Also, there is still homebrew for other stuff than pirating, you know.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kimikal27 said:
guys, be very careful whit updating to 4.0 cuz it's suppose to have a auto-update

3.4 was also "supposed" to have auto update, according to the panicked doomsayers. Is there a single person on this planet who was automatically updated from 3.4 to 4.0? Nope.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
kimikal27 said:
guys, be very careful whit updating to 4.0 cuz it's suppose to have a auto-update

3.4 was also "supposed" to have auto update, according to the panicked doomsayers. Is there a single person on this planet who was automatically updated from 3.4 to 4.0? Nope.

sure, go on and do it

ill just wait and see

Posts merged

PrincessPeach said:
kimikal27 said:
QUOTE(PrincessPeach @ Mar 26 2009, 04:11 PM)

As I don't really need to, but there is still the issue of my import discs for Cube and Wii, and also some Japanese VC-titles.

play backups is not pirating, you know

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kimikal27 said:
PrincessPeach said:
kimikal27 said:
PrincessPeach said:

play backups is not pirating, you know

That is absolutely correct (Depending on where you live), but I think we all would be interessted in a single way to regain functionality for our backup or import discs, or import channels.

And I didn't want to offend you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In other news GeForce experience is still shit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: In other news GeForce experience is still shit