x64 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Three!!?? But why?

2. mowsie

mowsie Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I recommend you do some reading. Everyone giving you advice is very biased or in the case of one person, pushing a fear agenda. You clearly don't know anything at all about the scene so before you make up your mind do some reading, don't take the advice in this thread as gospel or you're as stupid as they are.

3. Issac

Issac I
    Supervisor

Sweden
    Quite rude there, but where should he read? Do you have any good resource with proper info?

I wouldn't dare hack my console only to do some save editing. There have been reports on banned consoles from running unofficial software - and extracting and injecting edited saves? I don't know how it works on Switch, but on the 3DS you use Homebrew apps.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  4. Myshkin

Myshkin Member
    Newcomer

really? it says you do e.g. here for method 2 - i don't understand why? do the efuses auto-burn if you boot in to normal mode (without RCM patches)?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You are correct. Without AutoRCM, you will burn your efuses on the next non-RCM coldboot.

6. Myshkin

Myshkin Member
    Newcomer

oh ok. thanks. I suppose ChoiDuJour can't do anything to stop this?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You're correct. This is a limitation due to how the Switch works, and it's unlikely to ever change. If you want to upgrade without burning efuses, you must install AutoRCM.

8. Myshkin

Myshkin Member
    Newcomer

:-[

thanks. much appreciated. i guess auto RCM is the way to go for now internal chipping.

9. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    i only hack offline games mind you.

also getting banned for using a infinte money cheat is bullshit also for offline games.

10. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Portugal
    IT's not bullshit because it counts as illegal modification of the game and thus goes against the TOS

11. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    it is bull shit. i don't feel like grinding the same shit over and over again it's so damn stupid IMO... plus sony's not going ban any stupid enough for paying almost 10,000 over PSN store stuff. plus if i wanted a SWITCH i would buy only first party.

12. Ashura66

Portugal
    It's against their TOS. As such it's NOT bullshit, it's an illegal modification no matter how you look at it

13. roflrabbit

roflrabbit Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I've only used homebrew (and got errors) as well as LayeredFS (w/ crashes & DevMenu usage), zero ban as of yet and it's been a very long time now, heheshh.

14. Ashura66

Portugal
    If you got errors then you have error reports. Did you go online at any point? If so you most likely got flagged and might get banned during the next big ban wave

15. roflrabbit

roflrabbit Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Haven't played a single online game but I know error reports were likely sent out, come at me Nintendo!

16. Ashura66

Portugal
    No need to play an online game for error reports to be sent, just connecting to like wi-fi does it. But hey i have't been banned yet and i actually PLAY backups so

17. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

United Kingdom
    What I would do is create a clean NAND backup before you do anything. Do whatever you want offline and when emuNAND comes around you can migrate the sysNAND you've been using homebrew etc. on to emuNAND and restore that original clean NAND backup onto sysNAND. Whenever you want to play backups, run homebrew, use cheats etc. you would therefore be able to safely do that offline on emuNAND whilst retaining the ability to play legit online on your clean sysNAND.

18. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't do it if ever using the Switch online in the future is important to you. Nintendo has cracked down with the Switch and any modifications you make to the console can get a ban. I hack whatever because I don't care anything about online multiplayer on any platform. Before I hacked my Switch I hadn't played it in 6 months. Now I play it everyday. I was the same way with the PS3 and Wii U.

Last edited by Clapmaster, Sep 8, 2018
  19. Skeet1983

OP Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hi guys. Been reading all your thoughts on whether or not I should hack my Switch. I don't really care about online play, I never even play Smash games online. I do however care about playing new and upcoming games such as Mega Man 11, upcoming Smash and Pokemon games. Lately, I have been thinking about getting a 2nd Switch. Use my current one for hacking, other one legit. However, if I save my money, I won't be able to get it until after Mega Man 11 comes out. I am also concerned about how high my ban risk is if I only do save editing. Further thoughts appreciated :)

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    If all you're going to do is use Checkpoint, then your ban risk is low, but it is not 0%. I'm unaware of anyone being banned for solely using the Homebrew Launcher. Error logs related to homebrew used to be an issue, but this is unlikely to cause problems if you're using modern tools.

If you don't care about online play, then you can do all of the hackery you want while always keeping your Switch offline. If you decide later that you want to use online play, you can restore an old NAND backup from before you used Checkpoint.

There is nothing about hacking your Switch that will prevent you from playing new games like Mega Man 11, etc.

Last edited by Lacius, Sep 8, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted