Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Neither of the two in front are IPS at all.

EDIT: which funnily enough I pointed out in my post that people assumed one was IPS while the other TN

that is just so weird.. to be honest i am still confused.

my og3ds'es both screens are ips and my n3ds xl top screen only is ips and the thing is, my n3ds xl top screen looks 2x better than my og3ds'es screens.

i think it is just because it is a newer ips panel on the n3ds xl and because it is the 'new' 3ds haha.

and btw. i dont know if it is just me, but my og3ds (small version) the top screen looks somehow clearer/smoother/crispier than my og3ds xl's top screen.
and i think this is mainly because the smaller screen of the og small 3ds.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The smaller system will always look "sharper" than the XL because they usually have more PPI than the XL. The resolution is the same on both. I've also never read of an IPS old model 3DS at all. It could be that you're just seeing a warmer screen tone and confused it with IPS, just as you did with my photo from earlier

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
Does the IPS screen look better in 3D? I have n3ds dual TN right now, and I'm ok with it mostly, but it'd be worth replacing if the IPS screen had less colour bleeding in 3D.

H0thTr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the IPS screen look better in 3D? I have n3ds dual TN right now, and I'm ok with it mostly, but it'd be worth replacing if the IPS screen had less colour bleeding in 3D.

Yes, the IPS tracks and adjusts better with the new 3ds systems, my eyes were always fighting the camera and 3D when they were TN panels on my first pokemon Lunala 3ds XL. With the IPS panels on my Fire Emblem N3dsXL, it's much better

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, the IPS tracks and adjusts better with the new 3ds systems, my eyes were always fighting the camera and 3D when they were TN panels on my first pokemon Lunala 3ds XL. With the IPS panels on my Fire Emblem N3dsXL, it's much better
In a low contrast scene (like one of the coloured default Home Menu themes) the 3d works fine for me, on my n3ds with TN panels. When there's higher contrast, some of the brightness that should be shown to one eye "bleeds" onto the other screen, so the other eye sees it too. Do the IPS screens improve that specific issue, do you think?
I guess a simple test is on the home menu icon of the AR games default app. If you turn your 3d all the way up and look at the spinning card, the white edge of the card is doubled onto the black middle, no matter how you look at it (particularly the part that's further away). Does the IPS improve that?

(Sorry for being so specific, but this issue makes the 3D near unusable in any game that suffers from it. I'm happy to hold my 3ds at specific angles or whatever, but it's just annoying when the screen itself isn't actually capable, no matter what you do!)

Last edited by ~Poke~,

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
@~Poke~ those issues are caused by your eyes, not the screen type. In fact, that's why there's a depth slider.
Other kinds of 3D don't do that though. I hooked my computer up to my 3D tv one time to check it out and had no issues.

My eyes are focusing correctly, and if there's not much difference in brightness/contrast then the 3D looks perfect.
In this high contrast situation, even if you close one eye the other eye can still see parts of that image. It happens no matter where the depth slider is set, though of course on low settings there's only a very small area where the bright and dark overlap.

I'm starting to wonder if I've just got faulty screens, but, I'm pretty sure this happened on my o3dsxl too...

Nyanko-sensei

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help me? Is my N3DS LL have IPS sceen?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 379

Nyanko-sensei

Trophies
XP
Country
Run screeninfo.3dsx and then you tell me. Since soundhax is available, you have no excuse not to.

Let's not confuse the noobs. screeninfo.3dsx gives a simple answer, 3dsident gives a bunch of extra info.
I'm not know much about 3DS so I don't know where can I run sceeninfo.3dsx. Is there any way to tell by eyes?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not know much about 3DS so I don't know where can I run sceeninfo.3dsx. Is there any way to tell by eyes?
Go to https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ and download the homebrew starter kit. Unzip it to the root of your microSD card.
Go-to https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-exclusive-screeninfo-3dsx-by-sciresm-check-ips-or-tn.440510/ and download and extract to the 3ds folder on your sd card. (Not the Nintendo 3DS folder)
Go to https://gbatemp.net/threads/soundhax-a-new-primary-3ds-entrypoint.454753/ and follow the instructions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think