tmp files

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an hdd that had gotten corrupted. I've recovered almost everything, but in some folders (maybe 5 or 6) there are .tmp files, almost as if the system didn't know what these file(s) went to. I don't know if they are related or go to the non-corrupted files that are in the same location. is there anyway to tell what these tmp files go to or rebuild the file with the missing data?

edit: here's what they look like. they were in various folders.

YZoQEpf.jpg

Last edited by godreborn,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It will depend upon what the recovery method you used was, and probably also how damaged it was -- a tool just grabbing sectors of data on the drive vs a tool reconstructing a bad file table and grabbing things results in very different things to poke.

That is a fair old mix of sizes there, though at the same time also around that of many video files but that might just be me reading into things.

You can try force loading the files into a program to see if it manages to detect what goes.

What happens if you open it up with a hex editor? Header values and footer values, possibly also some strings, might help here.

There is probably a program out there that is loaded with a thousand PC formats but I am less familiar with those. Results of a casual search http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...information/preserving-digital-records/droid/ but ew java.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm. it's my wii hdd. several files show up in the Ben 10 Omniverse wbfs folder. dropping them into a hex editor - it identifies them as a wbfs file, and Ben 10 Omniverse is listed in the text field. what's odd is that there is a wbfs (non tmp) file for that game. could chunks be missing from the wbfs? I think all of the tmp files for that one game may come out to be larger than the wbfs, non-corrupted file. I'm redownloading the games.

edit: I checked all of them. all report them being a wbfs file, and the game name is correct for the folder they're in.

Last edited by godreborn,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again it will depend what tool/method you used and how the drive was damaged. WBFS might complicate things as well, though if it is just WBFS containers in an otherwise common filesystem then they are so much normal files as far as this sort of thing is concerned.

Duplicates for a file system level approach are very much to be expected here. In the classic "recover my family photos" scenario you don't much care if you have a duplicate if it in turn means you might not miss being able to recover a specific valued photo*.

*never mind the sectors thing where it dumps a jumble of file sectors into a massive blob of a file and I then run a scan across it, pull a slightly corrupted but still mostly visible image from it all and maybe give it a light fixing in my image editor of choice saving someones wedding photos or whatever in the process.

Sizes wise that would match for Wii games (I don't see too many in the 200 to 300 megs range but there are some, and if they are Wiiware or something then yeah). There are tools that work at internal file level for Wii games these days that might in turn be able to verify things. I am less familiar with what goes here but I would probably start with that ISO reconstruction tool (aka unscrubber) https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-wii-unscrubber-swiit.511181/ and also have a look at the services/databases it draws from.

Edit. Thanks for that Kwyjor. Might have to poke it a bit and see what goes as far as making it do some good for ROM hacking, especially if I do get around to doing a proper look at a whole DS set.

Last edited by FAST6191,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night