Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you can? XO teach me o grand master!
tongue.gif

In the menu, go to custom, then go to volume, and volia! No more horrible voice acting.

But really, it's not such a bad game. It just seems that, unless you plan to play it on the road with your GBA, (or DS), you're better off emulating the translated SNES rom.

theOtherGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuglx.net
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the ROM, so what. Well, on the VisualBoy Advance 1.7.2 emulator, if you turn off Direct Sound A, that turns off the voices too...but you lose the music as well. So during battles, all you have are the sounds of monsters getting hit/dying.

moogle87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I loved this game so much that I already beat the (J) version without knowing a word of japanese. I don't think the battles are any more sluggish, or maybe I forgot about that. I do know that they had a sound test and the voiced song in the (J) version.
I'm wondering if they got american voice actors for the characters in this
version, cause if not, only mint's voice got to me.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ingrates. Who here that is whining would like some cheese with it?

Geez grow up and be happy you even get the blasted game. So what if a few of you whiney nitpickers had the chance to play a translated ROM of the game before. Boo hoo. Most the english speaking world has not had the opportunity to take a crack at this one so just chill.

damiussus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ingrates. Who here that is whining would like some cheese with it?

Geez grow up and be happy you even get the blasted game. So what if a few of you whiney nitpickers had the chance to play a translated ROM of the game before. Boo hoo. Most the english speaking world has not had the opportunity to take a crack at this one so just chill.

I agree. I think for a gba rpg this is the best non final fantasy classic rpg on the system. I played it and so what f it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the snes version didn't have. For anyone who hasn't played the snes version it really doesn't matter. And they may have been able to do better putting it on the DS, but how fair would that be to those who still don't have a DS, either b/c they can't afford it or whatever the reason. I think this was a great play for the gba and I also can't wait to see ff V and VI.

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry I can't feel grateful for a project that obviously did not have full effort put into it. Really though there's nothing wrong with the game. Pretty good I'd say but the GBA has seen better games. Better RPGs. Still, it's a fun game for the RPG starved GBA fan base, especially during this season.

Suzaku X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, played a bit. Considering I already played most of the Japanese GBA version, and beat the SFAM version, I'll do a comparison. Since the gameplay is unchanged, I'll just look at the localization aspect.

Translation: Sub par in some areas. But not bad.

It's not awful, in any way, but some things are really inexcusable. Misromanizing character names, for example. I can understand that in most situations, but not this one. The names were spelled out in English all over official Japanese products. Hell - the Japanese ToP websites have them spelled out in plain English. The fact that you can't rename the characters is just retarded. Why not? You could do it in the Japanese version. I wouldn't mind the misromanization of their names if I could correct them myself.

It seems to me that the translators probably were just hired on, got the script, and did little to no research on the game. If they got on the internet and looked up the game real quick, they could have at least spelled the names correctly. There are also several problems with the names of special attacks. Primarily, that the translations in this game don't match up with translations of the same attacks in other games in the series. Another problem that could be solved by a bit of effort or research.

Why they removed the music player is also beyond me. I'm guessing they only removed the sound test and renaming feature to save on memory, which probably went to something like fitting an extra 2 characters in the names of items or something. But maybe it had something to do with some of the song titles featuring the proper English names of several characters. >>;

Voice Acting:

Okay, let me preface this by saying I respect them for actually taking the effort to dub the voice acting. I just wish that they had put in enough effort to hire some decent voice actors, or maybe buy some time in a real recording studio. Because this shit is bad. Old Godzilla dub bad. Laughably bad. I found myself laughing out loud at this stuff. And I'm pretty sure I heard air and spit hitting the Gateway brand microphone that it sounds like it was recorded on.

Well, maybe I'm overexaggerating. A little bit. But it does sound like a bad fandub. The Japanese version had some talented voice actors. It just isn't up to par. Now, before you start calling me a weeaboo and telling me that I'd hate it even if the voice acting wasn't good - I'll let you know that there are some games, movies, and anime that I prefer dubbed. This definitly isn't one of them.

Overall:

Doesn't compare to the Japanese version, and the fan translations are probably even better in a lot of ways (check out the project to translate the PSX version which has been in progress for 5 years and you'll see what I mean). But if you haven't played the original Japanese versions, or don't want to download fan translations, then pick it up. If you can get past the dubbing and the blinding bright sprites*, you'll probably really enjoy it.

I am, however, loathing the prospect of hearing people refer to Klarth F. Lester, one of my all-time favorite video game characters, as "Claus".

*This is my biggest complaint about the GBA version in general, but it's present in the Japanese version as well. They took the PSX version sprites, which looked really good, but then they brightned them about 3x. This kind of kills a lot of the details, because the colors tend to wash together and there is a lack of contrast. The sprites also look absolutely horrible against the GBA version's backgrounds, which are nowhere near as good as the PSX or SFAM versions.

Kezane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry, but it ISN'T misromanized. The original Japanese rominzations were, if anything. This is the official english version.

Cress Mint

Both are plants. They chose the names for a reason.

QUOTE said:
I am, however, loathing the prospect of hearing people refer to Klarth F. Lester, one of my all-time favorite video game characters, as "Claus".

Up for calling Mega Man, Rockman? Tidus (FFX) as Ti-Dah (jp pronunciation)? Hell, maybe even Ash Satoshi?

QUOTEIt seems to me that the translators probably were just hired on, got the script, and did little to no research on the game.

IIRC, the name Cress already appeared in another game, namely Tales of Destiny II(Eternia). Didn't do their research?

Suzaku X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already call Rockman "Rockman", I also play all those games in Japanese, because I hate the translations for the English versions, ever since playing Rockman Zero. Funny note, the creator of Rockman, Keiji Inafune, HATES the way they changed the names of his characters, and has said so more than once. "Tee-dus" is the ONLY official way to pronounce his name, even in English. It was never spoken in FFX because you could change his name, but his own (English) voice actor pronounces it that way in interviews, and it was correctly spoken as "Tee-dus" in Kingdom Hearts. I'd know - I work for adventchildren.net, and we've interviewed him more than once.

And yeah, you're right. "Cress Albane", and "Arch Klein" are actually perfectly viable ways to romanize them. But the Japanese creators marked down "Cless Alvein" and "Arche Klaine" on all their artwork, websites, and other official materials, so I'm guessing that was the original intent there.

On the other hand, Claus F. Lester IS a misromanization, as is Chester Burklight. That, or they just ignored the kana because they thought it looked better that way.

チェスター・バークライト (Chesutaa Baakuraito). First, 'aa' is 99.99% of the time intended to be translated as "ar" or "er". Certainly not "ur", which would be 'uru'. But with a stretch, I could see this change.

クラース・F・レスター (Kuraasu F Resutaa) is an entirely different matter all together. Once again, you have double 'aa' there, which means either "ar" or "er". Claus - no matter which way you pronounce it, wouldn't be romanized that way. If the intent is like Clause (Santa Clause), the kana would be "kurasu" or "kurosu", same as 'cross' or 'claws'. If it was Klaus, the German name, the kana would have been kurausu. Not to mention they called him Clark in a previous official translation, thus contradicting themselves.

They contradict themselves a few more times later on, causing some character and attack names not to correspond properly to their other translated games, and also mixed up some character genders, occaisionally referring to a single character by more than one gender.

Anyway, I'm perfectly okay with liberal translations, but I would have just preferred them sticking with what the original creators used, or referencing their previous translations and some other official Japanese materials before changing them.

Then again, at least they didn't change Suzu into "Susan Wisteriawoods" or something.

Kajitani-Eizan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but it ISN'T misromanized. The original Japanese rominzations were, if anything. This is the official english version.

Cress Mint

Both are plants. They chose the names for a reason.

i don't see why you can't change one letter in the name (cress -> cless) and still retain the idea behind the pun. "cress" isn't right just because it fits the pun. "cless" is right because THAT'S THE WAY THEY WROTE IT. if they screwed up and they really meant "cress", well, they sure didn't make any efforts to change it in the last ten years.

the US version name really stems from them not doing their research with Tales of Destiny. they should have called him cless there.

Kezane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"Tee-dus" is the ONLY official way to pronounce his name, even in English. It was never spoken in FFX because you could change his name, but his own (English) voice actor pronounces it that way in interviews, and it was correctly spoken as "Tee-dus" in Kingdom Hearts. I'd know - I work for adventchildren.net, and we've interviewed him more than once.

For the English version, that is correct. However, in the JPN version, it is pronounced "Ti Dah", which is the whole point of the example.

[quoteBut the Japanese creators marked down "Cless Alvein" and "Arche Klaine" on all their artwork, websites, and other official materials, so I'm guessing that was the original intent there.[/quote]

クラース・F・レスター (Kuraasu F Resutaa) is an entirely different matter all together. Once again, you have double 'aa' there, which means either "ar" or "er". Claus - no matter which way you pronounce it, wouldn't be romanized that way. If the intent is like Clause (Santa Clause), the kana would be "kurasu" or "kurosu", same as 'cross' or 'claws'.

Terra as Tina then? Relm as Realm? I believe localization teams have the authority to change these things. I don't think they have to always follow the Japanese names. They can change the name if they feel it should be so.

well, they sure didn't make any efforts to change it in the last ten years.

Considering it hasn't been translated to English for the last ten years...

---

Of course, I do not feel that the translation is absolutely perfect, as I've already noticed some errors on my own between the instruction manual and within the game itself, but I find it silly to keep harping on the change of names. The names we see now are the official english names now.

damiussus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God! Whine, whine, whine. How about someone talking about it as a game instead of as a port. As I said before there are people who have never heard of the game or at least never played the japanese versions. How about giving them a fresh, fair review.

I agree with the voice acting thing. But if you haven't played the japanese games hardcore then what the hell does it matter what the names are in the english version. The story so far has kept me interested, especially the time travelling aspect. the combat is slower than some other games but still highly enjoyable. And I see nothing wrong with the colors.

For anyone who wants a more than decent handheld rpg pick this one up. don't listen to the whiners who don't like americanization in their japanese games.

Paladin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is okay, (i'd give it around a 70) although there are some odd graphical bugs.. Like you can obviously see that the backgrounds weren't fixed up after they converted or created them for the gba. Blocky textures and such can be seen. And the seeming whitewash of the colors is a bit garish to the eyes.

The Menus going from a across the top to the left side of the screen. I think that could have been left alone. The original 4 block look.

If you wish compare the way animals look in the snes compared to the gba, the animals don't seem to look like you'd expect them to in the gba version. Owls look like gray crows instead of owls and wolves look like minicats. Maybe they felt the game should have a more cute looking base instead of a more mature look.

Also try pushing the up+left, down+right, etc, buttons in the level parts of the game. You can't go diagonally cept on the worldmap. I don't think it was like that in the SNES version.

The gameplay speed is much slower. It takes longer to do things in the gba version. Unlike my first post (which wasn't a rant), I am trying to explain why I felt that way. In the SNES version your attacks were more powerful to start with than the NES version, which allowed you to get into the story faster.

I do find it interesting that they changed the method of attacks. The system for special attacks seems different in the GBA than in the SNES version. I don't think there is a comparasion between long and far in this version and the key combinations are different as well.

I'm not going to complain about the translation. Since my exprience with the Japanese language is limited. Although I do agree it seems less than perfect.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Has this thread been hijacked into a "I'm more wapanese than U" contest?
Just sayin', it's pretty pathetic. Enjoy the game, on the commute, I won't be able to hear the voice acting anyway, so see me give two tugs of a dead dog's cock.

kingkong

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
word

this thread proofs there is many unhappy kids here who like to bitch at a GAME.lol

tales of phantasia is the best gba game in 3-4 months. dont fuqin care about ANY of the whining ive played this game 4 hours now and i had a lot of fun and i'd give it a 80-90 score out of 100. i find NOTHING annoying in this game its all fun. cheers
biggrin.gif

taipion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s just one of my biggest peeves. When games are translated state-side and they actually removed content from them (I played one of the One Piece games for GNC, because there was a character or 2 not et seen in the American version of the tv series, they made those characters inaccessible in the game). I mean come on, why not keep the sound test and let us change character names. Why not keep all the Japanese voice acting and give us the option to chose which we prefer in the options menu. This is one of the main factors the forced me into emulation, that simply put a lot of the good stuff is Japan-only. Either learn Japanese and do imports, or get into emulation with fan translations.

Someone asked this earlier I believe, in the PSX version they kept the song opening and drew a full anime opening. In fact the made a 4 episode anime in japan of the series and just released the last episode a few weeks ago.

crescentsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lunarist.com
XP
Country
eh ? you serious or what ? =___= Tales of Destiny is one of the best Tales series, and altough Eternia wasn't as good as its predecessors, its still decent to be called an RPG.. I mean, c'mon, where have you been all this time ? ^^ its RPG time yo !

Superabound

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are the colors of the sprites so horribly washed out? It looks like they were ripped from another game and just pasted onto the backgrounds. And the menus...why do they look like theyre from Final Fantasy 1? Its really a damn shame because this was originally one of the best looking SNES rpgs of all time. Were the size limitations of the cart so severe that they had to significantly downgrade the graphics to fit it on there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.