ph34r.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
We have a video of this and my little sister watches it all the time, the worst thing is that it is the christmas one. IT'S SO DAMN HORRIBLE!

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone explain to me what said-Incident was?
In approximate chronological order:
1) American McGee releases Alice, and gamers go nuts, as it's a good game with a fresh take on Alice in Wonderland.
2) McGee announces that he's going to try a game based on The Wizard of Oz. Gamers are heavy with suspense, as McGee is sure to use another fresh take on it, right?
3) McGee announces that it's going to be "darker" and "more mature" -- in other words, he's a one-trick pony, doing this same stunt with everything. Gamers grind their teeth.
4) Penny Arcade creates the infamous comic, sort of as a sarcastic "What's next? American McGee's Strawberry Shortcake?"
5) American Greetings, the company that owns Strawberry Shortcake, demands that the strip be removed or they will press legal charges. Tycho and Gabe comply, and here is the result.

Later on, American Greetings takes a HUGE hit in their profits (something like 25% in only three or four months), likely due to this. PA also does a retouch. Check the newsposts on the days between these to see it unfold.

Question 14 here also touches on this, with Tycho's own response on the denoument. You can also see another recounting of it, along with an instance of the comic, here, albiet at a lower quality than I'd have hoped for.

-Tempest out.-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY