Hardware ThinkPad X250: swap TN panel for IPS one, possible and worth it?

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
As the title says I need to know if it is actually possible to upgrade my ThinkPad X250 display from a TN to an IPS panel. This ultrabook actually had the optional 1080p IPS display but it is not clear if it is just a drop out - drop in upgrade or it requires a lot more (ex. different motherboard). I Googled around on the matter but informations are very sparse but a lot hints that it is just a simple pane swap, can anyone confirm this or not? Thanks chaps!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I did that with my X260.
I got lucky and it was just a drop in for me.
Depending on your configuration you might have to replace the cable and/or the top cover.
Also you need to get a Lenovo FRU screen part, otherwise brightness controls won't work on Windows.

Reactions: MasterControl90

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
I did that with my X260.
I got lucky and it was just a drop in for me.
Depending on your configuration you might have to replace the cable and/or the top cover.
Also you need to get a Lenovo FRU screen part, otherwise brightness controls won't work on Windows.
OH cool, another confirmation that often x series has super easy to swap parts. Thanks!
By fru part you mean an original part from Lenovo? I am asking because it is really easy to find aftermarket parts on ebay marketed for my x250

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
OH cool, another confirmation that often x series has super easy to swap parts. Thanks!
By fru part you mean an original part from Lenovo? I am asking because it is really easy to find aftermarket parts on ebay marketed for my x250
It's pretty easy to swap parts or do repair on business laptops.
And yes it has to be a Lenovo part.
Watch out for sellers shipping "compatible" panels, they ship out panels that may fit and has the same specs, but might not be a Lenovo part or not the requested FRU. Ask for pictures of the panel if possible.
Certain LG FHD IPS FRUs are known to be defective, for the X250 you should get the FRU 00HM745. I got a 00HN899 and that might work too, even though it's for the X260.

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
It's pretty easy to swap parts or do repair on business laptops.
And yes it has to be a Lenovo part.
Watch out for sellers shipping "compatible" panels, they ship out panels that may fit and has the same specs, but might not be a Lenovo part or not the requested FRU. Ask for pictures of the panel if possible.
Certain LG FHD IPS FRUs are known to be defective, for the X250 you should get the FRU 00HM745. I got a 00HN899 and that might work too, even though it's for the X260.
OH good call for the defective fru, thanks! These are a lot of info, I'll take a look around and I'll update this post if something happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1