Hacking Thinking of buying a DSTWO...

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So I'm currently a somewhat unhappy Cyclo customer, haven't been able to play GS:DD, but most games I do play work, so there isn't a real need to buy a new card. However, I keept hearing about these new features that DSTWO has, and I wanna ask the owners if it's worth buying a new card for?

I specifically want to hear about the emulation part. How is the GBA emulation (and a game I;ve never played but always wanted to: Mother 3)? For SNES, I'm interested in playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on the go, as in, if it works well it almost warrants a purchase already for me. Also Bahamut Lagoon.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Amici said:
So I'm currently a somewhat unhappy Cyclo customer, haven't been able to play GS:DD, but most games I do play work, so there isn't a real need to buy a new card. However, I keept hearing about these new features that DSTWO has, and I wanna ask the owners if it's worth buying a new card for?

I specifically want to hear about the emulation part. How is the GBA emulation (and a game I;ve never played but always wanted to: Mother 3)? For SNES, I'm interested in playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on the go, as in, if it works well it almost warrants a purchase already for me. Also Bahamut Lagoon.
Mother 3 runs near perfect. Although I'd wait for the preview of the CycloDSi, unless you choose to buy a GBATemp edition DS2.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I won't really be able to take advantage of the Cyclo because I only have my good 'ol Lite
biggrin.gif

RedBaron

Trophies
XP
Country
Amici said:

Don’t buy a DSTWO, a lot of people did just on the promises and they got burned, yes they did deliver on the promises but it was half baked software, get a PSP 3000 V5.03 and play nearly all of them GBA and SNES not just %50 of them
yaypsp.gif

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RedBaron said:
Amici said:

Don’t buy a DSTWO, a lot of people did just on the promises and they got burned, yes they did deliver on the promises but it was half baked software, get a PSP 3000 V5.03 and play nearly all of them GBA and SNES not just %50 of them
yaypsp.gif
We need this
258Troll_spray.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amici said:
Wait so what really is the truth? Is the firmware really that bad?

Please do not listen to RedBaron. He is merely a trashy troll that needs to be disposed of, being the little kid that he is, whining about how the Supercard Team has not lived up to his full expectations.

The firmware is not bad at all. It has a nice and smooth GUI that is somewhat very easy to use. If you need help imagining the GUI, go here and flash over your mouse over "Quick Preview."

Other than the fantastic GUI, the SCDS2 comes with many features, such as the In-Game Menu, near-perfect game compatibility, and several other good plug-ins.

First of all, the In-Game Menu allows you to enter a quick menu in ANY game by pressing the specified buttons (in this case, the firmware that you will have just downloaded has set the Hot Key (buttons to bring up the In-Game Menu) to L+R+(some other button). You press the specified buttons and will see several other features, which are Real-Time-Save/Load, Real-Time-Game-Guide, Slow Motion, Real-Time-Cheat, and Free Cheat.

-Real-Time-Save/Load enables you to save at ANY point in ANY game and load that save file ANYTIME.

-Real-Time-Game-Guide enables you to access .txt files for a specific game that you copied-pasted a guide for.

-Real-Time-Cheat enables you to use cheat codes for DS games ANYTIME.

-Free Cheat is a unique feature that is only available to the DSTWO. It allows you to search up and modify code values. Free Cheat is merely a "shortcut" for quick cheat codes.

-Slow Motion is pretty much self-explanatory.

Second of all, the DSTWO Game Compatibility will absolutely amaze you. Every new game that I've tried so far only have a few problems, none that are major, so I'll say that the Compatibility is around (99.5%, IMO). This is also another reason why the DSTWO is the best flash cart out there. Plus, updates to the EOS and patches for popular games are pretty frequent, or at least, used to be, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the release of the DSTWO SDK.

And finally...DSTWO plug-ins. These plug-ins are also known as the "SNES Emulator, GBA Emulator, iReader, iPlayer," and many others. Here's a link to the descriptions of the plug-ins.

I'm not really sure about the SNES Compatibility, because I've never really used the Emulators that much. Though, the SNES Compatibility for the DSTWO SNES Emulator isn't that bad. Since the DSTWO SDK is out, I'm pretty sure that the SNES Emulator will receive unofficial updates that will drastically change the Compatibility for it, along with the GBA Emulator, I guess.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Rockstar said:
Amici said:
Wait so what really is the truth? Is the firmware really that bad?
Nah its really good firmware is smooth and pretty, gba and snes are really good
Originally when the DSTwo first came out the [GBA] emulator was a little sluggish & compatibility was a major concern, but it has improved greatly since then, especially when you also used the 'game_config.txt' file

However I have read that the latest GBA emulator (v1.3) doesn't seem to 'like' the game_config file anymore and people suggest using the 1.2 version of GBA Emulator & the current 'game_config.txt' file for better compatibility

Like all other emulators - it's not perfect, so you will expect to still see some games etc will nt work properly

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Alright, I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the emulation part then. No biggie
biggrin.gif

I've read the review, I would like to know which are still true and which are overstated (i.e. not really too much of an issue). There seems to be a lot of issues in this review. How many of the cons are still cons?

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
I bought it a couple months ago, and I'm pleased. The GBA wasn't quite as good as advertised, but I can play MVSDK again
biggrin.gif
(DSiXL has go GBA slot
frown.gif
) On some games, SNEmulDS works better than NDSSFC, and the other way around. It's a hit and miss on that one.

I haven't tried the media player yet because I still like Moonshell and don't care to switch because I just want to be able to play my MP3's, and don't want to learn something new.

The in-game menu is nice, and IT DOES WORK ON MaLBiS! You just have to pause to use it (the full one). Go Save States! Slow-Motion is kinda bad (doesn't slow music, is funny), but in-game cheat menu is really handy as well as the cheat search thing.

I prefer the default 'pink' skin, because it fits well (and I'm too lazy to try very many others)...

I have a (somewhat crummy, first review) review of it on YT and I focus mainly on GBA and SNES.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdX8iiposh4

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ayt, thanks! What about build quality of the cart? Does it seem like it'll last? I've had my Cyclo for nearly 2 years already, hopefully a new cart can also last that long
biggrin.gif

RedBaron

Trophies
XP
Country
Rockstar said:
RedBaron said:
Amici said:

yaypsp.gif
We need this
258Troll_spray.jpg
No that is no what we need what we need is a DSTWO that’s works properly

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Amici said:
Ayt, thanks! What about build quality of the cart? Does it seem like it'll last? I've had my Cyclo for nearly 2 years already, hopefully a new cart can also last that long
biggrin.gif
Mine has survived drops on floor, drops down stairs, and a dip in the dog's water. I think it's sturdy enough
biggrin.gif

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey.

Take it from an owner of a new-run DSTWO: They're a lot stronger now
biggrin.gif
and they fit in DSes like a retail cart (at least in Phats, in which the first production run got stuck indefinitely
tongue.gif
)

Also the firmwares are really good as are the updates. SuperCard team had trouble with the new MvsDK DS game, so what did they do when it wasn't working? They fixed it FIVE TIMES until it worked for everyone. They also fixed Portrait of Ruin the other day for slow SD cards, even though it already worked on most.

Now THAT'S a team that gives a shit.

They also did the same for the ol' DSone. When was the last official update for the first cyclo, hmm?
wink.gif

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Amici said:
I've read the review, I would like to know which are still true and which are overstated (i.e. not really too much of an issue). There seems to be a lot of issues in this review. How many of the cons are still cons?

- Missing SNES emulation Added
- Missing drag/drop video support Added (Xvid/divx, avi, rmvb, etc are supported)
- Missing E-book reader support Added
- DLDI patching problems Haven't had any problems, so no idea...
- Poor GBA Homebrew compatibility Again, no idea - GBA Homebrew isn't that great anyway.
- GBA emulator is buggy Improved
- EOS v1.02 software is buggy Updated, and works like a charm
- Some in-game menu options are buggy Improved in some games
- Lack of Homebrew soft-reset support I'm pretty sure this was added, but I don't see this as a problem
- below average build quality, shell is poorly secured The limited edition GBATemp SC2 seems to be secured better
- Soft-reset always returns to the top most menu I don't see this as a problem...
- Lack of Slot-2 PSRAM and SRAM support No idea
- Lack of native Slot-2 flashing options No idea

Ya, this review is quite un-updated...

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
personuser said:
They also did the same for the ol' DSone. When was the last official update for the first cyclo, hmm?
wink.gif
just last month
mellow.gif

http://gbatemp.net/t266689-new-firmware-update-is-out

Hmm, not bad considering the new card they're working on
tongue.gif

Still, the SC Team is pretty good, as is the cyclo (and both are GODS of firmware updates compared to the awful M3 slot2 support that I had to deal with at a time
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL