Thinking about starting to develop a starcraft wii port

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by nano351, Dec 2, 2009.

1. nano351
    OP

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I've been hacking starcraft for a few years and pretty much know the ins and outs of the program and am fairly fluent in C++. So I was thinking what's the one thing the wii could need and starcraft popped in my head. The project would of course be open source and designed so that you'd still need the starcraft CD(s) or MPQ(s) to runt he game. The wii's system specs look plenty good enough at a first glance to be able to run the game. Now, I have a few questions about developing homebrew applications.

What kind of premade code is out there for doing tasks like drawing to the screen, getting input from USB mouse and keyboard and reading files from USB source? Is there anything for support for TCP/UDP connections?

What are actual limitations of homebrew? (like how much RAM do I have access to?)

Is it possible to debug my applications without getting a USB gekko? (like can I run my applications in dolphin or some other emulator?)

2. Dookieman

Member Dookieman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds awesome. FYI, there was a homebrew port of Starcraft for the DS called Starlite, which Blizzard shut down very quickly. So if you are serious about taking on this project, do not make it public until it is near completion.

3. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    I fully approve this project, I even suggest port some RTS to Wii some time ago =P

Best luck! I´m not a programmer so can´t be very useful.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    This or Warcraft would be welcoming to me but yeah keep quiet about it until its ready and good luck.

5. nano351
    OP

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hm, I see. Well I don't see how they'll shut it down if it's open source ;o

pretty sure what you're referring to is starlite. I tink it seemed to blizzard that it would either hinder sales of their product or hurt their profits in some way. Since I plan on enforcing a valid cdkey being required hopefully there won't be any issues and unlike starlite this will be fully open source so they can't possibly threaten the millions of people that could download the source code.