They don't make just games (Sony)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
SifJar said:
Well to be fair, I haven't got a "new" Sony product in a while now. The most recent Sony product in my family was a phone two years ago (still working fine). I haven't tried any of their touch screen products, and I have always sort of had the impression their Android devices are generally to be avoided (poor custom UI leads to the OS becoming quite laggy, very expensive etc.) - not that I'd be getting an Android phone anyway. But I digress. What I meant to say was, I suppose their quality could have dropped somewhat from what I have experienced of their products.
To me (no offense to anyone, esp fanboys)

the reason why some of sony's products have lowered in quality is because their focus on too many products.

TVs, Cameras, Video cams, Handhelds, Consoles, Home Entertainment, Laptops...
That's a lot, considering that Sony started off with just TVs.
moogle.gif

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that's a good point.

Sony needs to reduce the amount of things they're focusing on.

Though they do still have damn good quality when it comes to sound. I wouldn't dream of getting headphones from any other company, Sony's are some of the best.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
SifJar said:
Well to be fair, I haven't got a "new" Sony product in a while now. The most recent Sony product in my family was a phone two years ago (still working fine). I haven't tried any of their touch screen products, and I have always sort of had the impression their Android devices are generally to be avoided (poor custom UI leads to the OS becoming quite laggy, very expensive etc.) - not that I'd be getting an Android phone anyway. But I digress. What I meant to say was, I suppose their quality could have dropped somewhat from what I have experienced of their products.
To me (no offense to anyone, esp fanboys)

the reason why some of sony's products have lowered in quality is because their focus on too many products.

TVs, Cameras, Video cams, Handhelds, Consoles, Home Entertainment, Laptops...
That's a lot, considering that Sony started off with just TVs.
moogle.gif
Not to mention the film studio and recording company. (which by the way has made some hit movies and hit albums, so they definitely should not abandon this, they're good money makers)

SONY is a good company (revenue wise, they are the fifth largest media conglomerate in the world, when we use money as the factor), but the interwebz seems to hate them. However, as far as I know most people just hate their gaming division. It is quite idiotic (and uninformed) to think that a company will "burn in hell and go broke" when the gaming division isn't probably the biggest part of it's revenue. (I'm willing to bet that)

While Samsung is much ahead in revenue, difference is they sell different things. Samsung is the 2nd biggest chip maker in the world. And since technological devices are extremely commonplace, Samsung's earnings alone from the factor are huge. Include that with other typical computer components such as screens and such that Samsung typically makes, it's bound to earn money real quick. Also, 2nd largest cell phone manufacturer in the world. Sony on the other hand primarily creates consumer products and entertainment. TV's, video games, laptops, cameras, an extremely large music recording company, and a movie studio. It's not really that fair to compare the two since their priorities are set much differently.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supreme Dirt said:
Yeah, that's a good point.

Sony needs to reduce the amount of things they're focusing on.

Though they do still have damn good quality when it comes to sound. I wouldn't dream of getting headphones from any other company, Sony's are some of the best.

Sorry, but I gotta say it. Sony pales in comparison to dedicated sound companies like AT or Sennheiser.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Twoacross said:
When is the PS Store coming back? I heard it was around May 24, but sites are saying the 31st and such
Sony has reportedly told developers 24th May, and I'm sure they don't want to upset devs more by promising them and not fulfilling, so I'd say it'll be May 24th. Sony publicly announced a week or two ago that it would be the 31st, but I'd say they were overestimating so they look better ("Oh look, Sony have fixed the issues so quickly"). But anyway, this isn't really what this topic is about, there are threads better suited to this question.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like Sony for its games, but being a Nintendo fan, and a bit of an ignoramus, I never really cared about Sony as a music industry until I got an iPod at age 10. Even then I still didn't give them much thought; the gaming industry was the only part of Sony that I knew. And as far as my opinion goes, I'd say that they have good quality products (mostly) and that when it screws up, they do their best to fix it to keep the customer happy. Pardon me if that's naive, but it's the way I see it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even as a gaming company, I don't believe this will be the "downfall" of Sony.

Each company has hit their major humps. Microsoft had the RRoD. Nintendo had the Virtual Boy and even the Gamecube (which is a good console but was spanked thoroughly by Sony's PS2 and beaten by Microsoft's new Xbox). Sony now has the PSN outage. The PS3 has grown successful (it's pretty much tied with the Xbox 360 currently and it still has some big releases like Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, etc, coming for it) and arguably the same with the PSP (even though the PSP sales were much less than the DS, it still pulled good sales and even today it's getting top spot on Japanese charts).

Most current PS3 owners I see aren't exactly throwing away their Sony products. Most of the haters I've seen here don't even own a PS3 or a PSP or don't even use the PSN. Odds are most of the people who are selling their PS3's for Xbox 360's are just tards who do nothing more than multiplayer gaming anyway. And ya know what, it's good they sold off their PS3s. The used price for PS3s becomes cheaper and I can nab one for a cheap price. Then I can buy more software and Sony will get money in the end. Considering they've been selling PS3 Slims on a loss anyway, it might actually help them in the long run.

This is definitely a kick in the pants for Sony, but it won't break them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Wish they would give a season on Herbert