there is a ppiece of tinfoil stuck in my switch and it wont turn on

thumperthestupid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i wanted to mod my switch and i needed to simulate a jig so i used tinfoil because i couldnt cut the paperclip i was gonna use and i was too lazy to buy a jig and so i put the tinfoil in my joycon and it got stuck in the console, the joycon wont even fully get in there. anyways i tried getting it out with a paperclip which i bent but didnt cut in half and after trying the switch wouldnt turn on. is there anything else i can do to get it out? did i brick it?
Post automatically merged:

crap i just noticed the spelling mistake in the title

thumperthestupid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like your switch is either fried (which doesn't seem that likely) or, possibly, booting into RCM.
Use a computer with an injection tool like TegraRCMGUI to see if that's the case by injecting, say, hekate, into it.
wasnt i supposed to press the power button and the volume up button to boot it into rcm?

It seems like your switch is either fried (which doesn't seem that likely) or, possibly, booting into RCM.
Use a computer with an injection tool like TegraRCMGUI to see if that's the case by injecting, say, hekate, into it.
ok i pressed the power and volume up buttons and that seemed to turn it on

wasnt i supposed to press the power button and the volume up button to boot it into rcm?

now i just need something else to get the tinfoil out since the paperclip isnt working

Last edited by thumperthestupid,
  • Haha
Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

now i just need something else to get the tinfoil out since the paperclip isnt working
maybe try some tweezers?

Reactions: BigOnYa

Deetlemore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful you don't jam the foil into the pins and bend them. Worst case scenario, the rails are replaceable on their own. I've replaced a couple and they aren't too labor intensive.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People would rather waste $300 than spend $3 on a proper jig. Such a shame

Word, I would link the $ 2 jig I bought from Amazon, but OP can probably find it by simply searching for "RCM Jig" on their favourite marketplace. Best $2 I ever spent as far as switch accessories go. I carry it in the same case I carry my switch around in, together with a USB-C cable. Knowing how close I came to frying my switch was an eye-opener for sure. Randomly jamming foil in there makes it likely that one would inevitably bridge the V+ pin with something only expecting signal level input / output before long. I'm glad I could wait the week the delivery took. This was also a great time to read up on things before getting started.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye