Homebrew There is a guide to config Retroarch Wii and his cores?

Draxikor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How about pals, for a long time I have used the direct emulators of retro consoles type FCE Ultra GX, Snes9x GX, Genplus GX etc. Although I always read that retroarch had more configuration options and better emulation.

But whenever I try to use it I have problems that in the emulators I mentioned before I never have. For example, I always notice that the screen tearing is higher compared to the simplest emulators, apart from the fact that the image never has the correct aspect ratio, I have noticed that certain image lines disappear, I have already set the resolution to 240p and the problem persists even when using the Wii on a CRT. So I want to know if there is a guide to configure both the emulator and the cores?

PD I have used retroarch with SD cards, USB flash drives and external hard drives and I haven't seen any difference. By the way at the moment I am using the Superrsonic version.
Sorry for my bad english.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The "screen tearing" and such is because you require to feed the emulation with correct aspect ratios.

For example, a NES core configured for games that use Crop Overscan:
Screen Resolution: 512x448
Custom Ratio: 480 x 448, 2x2 scale)
Aspect Ratio: Custom
Integer Scale: On
Custom Viewpoint: 16, 0 480, 448
Correction Amount: 480
Screen Width: 640

Core Options:
Preferred aspect ratio: 8:7
Crop Overscan enabled (both vertical and horizontal)

With Crop Overscan you can hide garbled graphics loaded on the right side of the screen in games such as Super Mario Bros 3, and they look much cleaner. Not every game uses it, though.

I'll share my config files if you want to try them, just be warned that my paths for games and such are very probably different from yours, so is in your best interest to change the paths before doing anything else.

Rename these cfg files to whatever your core files are named (or viceversa, rename those cores to use the same names as my configs, as they're neatly organized). The repeated cores are for different video options, as I mentioned NES games can use Crop Overscan or not, and TG-16 or SMD games can use different resolutions. Another example would be having two Gambatte cores, one where the screen is stretched to take as much space as possible, the other uses a smaller screen with the possibility to use borders.

Just in case you're in doubt, the PC-Engine / TG-16 core I use is PCE Fast, so those cores are for that version, and not the other emulator is in the RA-SS pack.

In any case you can see them with text programs in your PC and check the video options if you rather put them yourself.

Edit: I mentioned Super Game Boy borders, here's a pack with a bit over a hundred borders I did quite a few years ago. They can be stretched and have their opacity calibrated in the Overlay menu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s16grwhmcov0w2b/105%20SGB%20Borders%20Retroarch%20Wii.rar?dl=0

Edit 2: I just remembered: All the config files and my talk was with using a Wii in 4:3, not 16:9, I hope it still helps.

Attachments

• RA-SS configs.7z
    6.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: Draxikor

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Snes9x Next would be the one to use by default for most games.

The 05 Plus version is recommended for a few games that may have special quirks or lose frames in other snes emulators, for example Kirby's Dream Land 3 works pretty great with it, good frame rate and shows the transparency effects as it should.

The heaviest SNES core (as in, file size) is a special version of the emulator that will let you play the Tengai Makyou Zero translation, which is a rather unique case as far as fantranslations go, and it requires a few extra files provided by the translators.

The others I really don't use much.

All this info is a combination of what I've been seeing myself and what SuperrSonic told me time ago. In fact how to deal with the configurations and such is stuff I learnt to do thanks to a very old SuperrSonic post in the RetroArch forums back when they care about the Wii version. He's been doing good for a looong time, lol.

Shadow-Zero

Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: rogerioronin

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the RA-SS version (https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/g5b8rc/a_mod_of_retroarch_with_autoresolution_switching/), but it lacks an installation guide. The package also differs a lot from the WiiBrew version (https://wiibrew.org/wiki/RetroArch_Wii).
Do I just copy "RA-HEXAECO" in the apps dir of the SD card?
Yes, that works. As a general matter, don't expect vanilla RA configuration details to apply to RA-HEXAECO. They're (almost entirely?) separate software when both installed on a Wii.

Reactions: rogerioronin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-