Hacking There are too many ways to launch homebrew for the Wii.

Gnimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the homebrew channel beta 8, but I noticed that many of you are installing entire channels into the front menus. That seems like a terrible idea, to have all that software taking up channel space.

Why not let your SD cards hold the programs? You're going to need them anyway.

The reason I say this is because it's likely that you're not going to see a solution to the Wii's paltry 512 MB flash memory for a very long time. So why take more of it with Wii channels that are just going to become obsolete a week (or less) later?

For example, I just downloaded eke-eke's Genesis-Plus channel, which now allows for horizontal/vertical fill on an HDTV. This wasn't possible before. If there had been a Genesis channel installed on the front menu, that would have been a big hassle for me.

In other words, we should focus on the software, not the means to load it or the way it looks on our menus. You're going to brick your Wiis if you aren't careful.

ZombiePosessor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people just like channels. I myself loved seeing all the unofficial channels for emulators, while they were prevalent. Now I enjoy seeing the homebrew channel just as much, and its menu, with all its customization, has replaced my love for the channels. Plus I really love having all my stuff on the SD card, it can hold way more than the Wii could if I wanted all these ROMs injected...

I suppose, for the casual gamer who just wants to play a few old snes or genesis games, channels would be the way to go, just because most of them look good and are impressive to people who have no idea how you got a Super Nintendo emulator on your Wii.
ph34r.gif

But yeah, people who have serious love for the old consoles would benefit more from an SD card, way more storage space. USB is/will be around the corner soon, so that's even better. Waiting for Snes9X w/ usb storage support, that would be great. Hell, any emulator with usb storage support.

I don't know if my reply was worth anything, but oh well.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gnimm said:
I use the homebrew channel beta 8, but I noticed that many of you are installing entire channels into the front menus. That seems like a terrible idea, to have all that software taking up channel space.

Why not let your SD cards hold the programs? You're going to need them anyway.

The reason I say this is because it's likely that you're not going to see a solution to the Wii's paltry 512 MB flash memory for a very long time. So why take more of it with Wii channels that are just going to become obsolete a week (or less) later?

For example, I just downloaded eke-eke's Genesis-Plus channel, which now allows for horizontal/vertical fill on an HDTV. This wasn't possible before. If there had been a Genesis channel installed on the front menu, that would have been a big hassle for me.

In other words, we should focus on the software, not the means to load it or the way it looks on our menus. You're going to brick your Wiis if you aren't careful.
why would you constrict ways to run homebrew? if they like channels, let them have their channels. Usually homebrew makers release their stuff in the form of a channel AND sd-based-homebrewchannel-loaded. So I really don't see the problem.

HJBSCX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Xbox1 had too many dashboards with different features. Only time will tell which one will prevail. I like to have the choice but I can kinda understand what you mean.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, if you use a certain type of emulator a lot of the time, I suppose it would be more useful to have the channel. Also, it just looks nicer than the Homebrew Launcher Channel menu.

Though, personally I agree, loading straight from your SD card is a lot easier and quicker. It's just a matter of taste really. Also, space problems aren't as far off from being solved as you think. The big hurdle is making CFW however, which is what we'll need to run VC and WiiWare games straight from a USB device. Also, we might need USB2.0, though I'm not entirely sure, VC and WiiWare probably don't require such fast speeds.

And seeing as Bushing may well be working on CFW I think we'll be seeing it before the end of the summer quite easily.

EDIT:
Of course, I could be wrong on the count of Bushing working on CFW, that's just a guess from the 'HackMii' app seen in the HBC beta video, and the fact he's been messing around with firmware constantly since then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi