There are only two genders. Change my mind.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GhostLatte, Apr 26, 2018.

1. GhostLatte
    OP

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    Please keep this civil.

XAIXER, ELY_M, Vorde and 19 others like this.
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Gender is an outdated concept and you can present as basically anything you want to. In that sense sex and gender aren't equal, but in the same way that one can have many different sexual orientations, there's also a spectrum ranging from masculine and feminine presenting that a person might chose to present as

Henx, DarkWolf658, sks316 and 16 others like this.
  3. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018.
    Apr 26, 2018
  4. GhostLatte
    This message by GhostLatte has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018.
    Apr 26, 2018
  5. ItsMetaKnight
    This message by ItsMetaKnight has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 27, 2018.
    Apr 26, 2018
  6. shadoom
    This message by shadoom has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic.
    Apr 26, 2018
  7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    want me to convince you the earth is flat too?

seriously though people seem to have conflated personality, interests hobbies and kinks with gender at this point though, there has always been masculine females and feminine males and people who dress up in weird outfits for sex, we don't need to make new genders for every single different thing or every combination of things someone decides they want to do

Last edited by gamesquest1, Apr 26, 2018
  8. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Biologically there are only two genders or to be more specific two sexual "tools" in our biological make up. I'd like to hear a compelling argument as well.

XAIXER, Vorde, E1ite007 and 22 others like this.
  9. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  10. GhostLatte
    This message by GhostLatte has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  11. Sharinflan
    This message by Sharinflan has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  12. ShroomKing
    This message by ShroomKing has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  13. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Same here, I agree with OP (what's there to NOT agree with?)
    Our DNA is made to basically have either chromosomes XX or XY.
    Sure there are some instances where someone might be born with the sexual organs of both male and females, like it's the case of Intersex/Hermaphrodite, but taking into account nature and our genetic makeup of the human as it is, there is only female and male.

If you are a transvestite, a transsexual, a Trans-Am, a transylvanian or whatever, or have god-knows whatever sexual orientation or social tendecy (because damn I don't know where people come up with that stuff), it's a matter of psycology and personal preference, it's not a "sex" by nature.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Apr 27, 2018
    Vorde, E1ite007, duwen and 21 others like this.
  14. Sharinflan
    This message by Sharinflan has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    It's times like these where I wish gender was tied to sex to avoid confusion, but that's not how it works.

16. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I filled out a form this week that asked "male/female".

I was shook.

Coolsonickirby, Blue_Mew, Eix and 9 others like this.
  17. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Let's define some terms before continuing. This is important. Most people conflate many concepts, or have incomplete understanding.

Sex - Biological.
    Gender - Social.

Gender is just "oh hey, this is how this sex kind of looks", and you humans kind of just build loads of stuff into that definition. Men do and look like this, women do and look like this, men have more of this, women have more of this, etc. a two-gender system is just kind of a...stereotype of how one of the two most common sex expresses itself. And like a stereotype, it has a lot of falsehoods baked into the assumption. Think of folks fighting against a strict 2 gender system as fighting against stereotypes. As gender is way of saying, this is how people express their sex. So some folks are fine with 2, some are fine with a varying scale of attributes.

Sex is biological. and *usually* has just two. But genetics is not super strict like most folks think so. Someone could have XXY and be male, but have a lot of female attributes. sometimes you can be XY and have mainly female attributes because of hormones. It would be difficult for these people to fit into any gender norm, so for these people in particular, it can be difficult.

So yeah, "only two genders" is just kind of...vagueness so you don't have to think too hard about things. But once you get into it and look closely, it's nowhere near descriptive of reality.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 27, 2018
  18. ShroomKing
    This message by ShroomKing has been removed from public view by Issac, Apr 26, 2018, Reason: Off-topic / shitposting.
    Apr 26, 2018
  19. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Biologically there are only two sexes. Gender is a social construct, and as society changes we may end up with a thousand. Now i honestly think it's a little bit iffy to add on more genders. I can agree to a third for the few people who fall beyond the standard male/female. But most of those will still identify as male or female.
    Anything more than three is completely pointless tbh.

Last edited by dimmidice, Apr 26, 2018
  20. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    One important point to make:
    Who the hell would want to find a bathroom from 72 door choices? :^}
    Fuck no I prefer to have only 2 doors in any food place, thank you :lol:

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Apr 27, 2018
  21. kbmarinha

kbmarinha Life sucks...

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    I agree with OP
    There is only XX and XY.
    Even if a guy cut of his dick, implant tits and use hormones it wont turn him on a woman. You cant change DNA

22. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    There's nothing sexual about someone who presents as either intersex or the opposite gender as they were born, though. It's a purely personal choice that they present daily, rather than just for the bedroom. It's not a kink, nor should it be

lexarvn and dimmidice like this.
  23. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I mean, you can try radioactive materials, perhaps that will change your DNA beyond recognition, but I doubt radiation can make you change sex :lol:

DCG, BetterDuck and Soulsilve2010 like this.
  24. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    This topic is about gender, not sex though.

25. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    See, gender IS psychological, whereas sex (not sexual orientation) is the physical aspect

Exactly

26. kbmarinha

kbmarinha Life sucks...

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    So if I believe im an angel that means I dont have a gender at all?

Neo Draven, Blue_Mew, V0ltr0n and 4 others like this.
  27. TangentingTangerines

TangentingTangerines Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States

So remember kids, when you use the term gender, you're using the unproven terminology of a mad scientist, who happily committed human experimentation, tortured a pair of twin boys, drove them both to suicide, and got away with it!

28. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No, but you can be non-binary and achieve the same thing

29. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I refuse to identify as human. I'm a Xenomorph now

30. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Maybe far into the future, someone or some people can find away to change sex as well, but then you could probably change a lot of other things too.

Unisex bathrooms were and are a thing before genders got out of hand.

DayVeeBoi, Minox, VinsCool and 2 others like this.