Gaming [Theory] Nintendo Intentionally limiting stock for popular 3ds games

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What people are forgetting is that if they preordered their games they wouldn't run into problems. Every big game coming out for the 3ds that I've wanted is one that I've preordered. Aside from the idiot at my job from the food court selling the reserved copies to people without preordered, making me wait a week, I was able to pick up luigis mansion very shortly after it came out. We've hardly gotten any in since then, and I've had to break the bad news to many an eager young child.

But at least I've been able to play it.

Because, you know, I did the smart thing.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry for the fools that bought digital over physical because they felt like "I couldn't find it" as being an acceptable reason. There are just so many advantages physical has over digital, with digital's only plus being not having to carry THOSE GIGANTIC HEAVY CARTS IN OUR TINY MALE POCKETS OR FEMALE PURSES.

But on a serious note... buying digital when it can be avoided or isn't beneficial financially is like foolishly putting all your eggs in one basket. Nintendo's warranty lasts only a year, and their restrictions of coverage are so limited. If your 3DS gets stolen or MORE LIKELY broken due to falling or getting sat/stepped on or whatever, Nintendo will not only not "help" you, but they will charge you a ridiculous half-assed survice fee that costs more than half your system is worth. Maintenence fees for the 3DSXL not covered are $130+Shipping. You break your 3DS, and you break your games.

And we're not even going into details about theft or resale value here...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel sorry for the fools that bought digital over physical because they felt like "I couldn't find it" as being an acceptable reason. There are just so many advantages physical has over digital, with digital's only plus being not having to carry THOSE GIGANTIC HEAVY CARTS IN OUR TINY MALE POCKETS OR FEMALE PURSES.

But on a serious note... buying digital when it can be avoided or isn't beneficial financially is like foolishly putting all your eggs in one basket. Nintendo's warranty lasts only a year, and their restrictions of coverage are so limited. If your 3DS gets stolen or MORE LIKELY broken due to falling or getting sat/stepped on or whatever, Nintendo will not only not "help" you, but they will charge you a ridiculous half-assed survice fee that costs more than half your system is worth. Maintenence fees for the 3DSXL not covered are $130+Shipping. You break your 3DS, and you break your games.

And we're not even going into details about theft or resale value here...
Nintendo replaces your games for free if you show them the police report stating that your 3DS is stolen, I've seen a couple of people doing that. Also if your system is broken but still turns on you can always do a system transfer if you don't want to go through Nintendo repairs.
You can buy digital download codes for 3DS games online at a much cheaper price. The added price of the eShop is there so they don't damage their relationship with retailers like GameStop.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
-Useless bitching about physical is better than digital-.
Why do you care about it so much? Everyone can make their own choice and, in fact, people buying digital benefits even people who buy cartridges since it means there are less chances of shortage and when they do occur they last less time. Digital-only copies have some great advantages, like:

- Being able to backup your game at your computer
- Being able to backup and restore your save file without the use of special hardware for this
- 0 chances of losing or someone stealing the game itself (not the 3ds), it was very common for me at parties to find out that there was some game missing.
- Being able to put many games in just one SD card
- No necessity of switching cartridges each time you want to play another game

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why do you care about it so much? Everyone can make their own choice and, in fact, people buying digital benefits even people who buy cartridges since it means there are less chances of shortage and when they do occur they last less time. Digital-only copies have some great advantages, like:

- Being able to backup your game at your computer
- Being able to backup and restore your save file without the use of special hardware for this
- 0 chances of losing or someone stealing the game itself (not the 3ds), it was very common for me at parties to find out that there was some game missing.
- Being able to put many games in just one SD card
- No necessity of switching cartridges each time you want to play another game

It's pretty much a tie and depends on who prefers what. I only use digital when there's no other option, since I love having physical games and covers, swapping the cartridge and the disk is part of playing a game for me, just clicking on it just isn't the same. xP

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know how to mutil quote people so i'm going do one of those @ things at 2 person who quote at me.

@ShadowSoldier i should say it was my dad only and i'm not boycotting nintendo cause of that. it's just i don't understand why things have to be charged tax digital... and once we get rid of a system why can't we keep the stuff we have on the severs like sony does.

@xwatchmanx really i did something wrong sorry this time i'm bitching about sales tax and ways to keep stuff you bought off the eshop once you buy it.

maybe i should of raged on the gamefaqs a little more or something ah well at least i can't get warned there... (for now at least)

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is worst than Hitler, guys. Just come to accept that fact.

here's my look of things

nintendo=unholy based of things (which if you sell you never get back)
mircosoft=i don't know.
sony=the holy grail of things you can get back

nuff said.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here's my look of things

nintendo=unholy based of things (which if you sell you never get back)
mircosoft=i don't know.
sony=the holy grail of things you can get back

nuff said.

...I don't even know what you mean.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I don't even know what you mean.

nintendo=once you sell your system or lose it for good you stuff on the ESHOP is SOL and you can't rebuy it back at a later time if you plan to get a different system.
sony=if you sell and deactive your system and get a system at a later time you can acess you content again.

i think nintendo should take a look at sony's way of life.

Reactions: kehkou

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solution - don't sell your game consoles and then have seller's remorse.

If you were to put a whole bunch of mods on a car and throw out the stock parts, then some day sell the car with mods, then eventually buy another car because you liked how it was back in the day, you're not gonna have your mods because you didn't save the original parts.

mods in this sense are equivocal to games in concept, and "original parts" being physical cartridges.

Buy the physical cartridges and you get to keep your games.

"But they're sold out"

But you could have preordered

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't, though. I don't trust digital distribution for long term file support when the files are centralized on a third party's servers and not your own in-house storage. However, I don't buy my games in any other way than cartridge form (I don't buy disk based games to begin with) when the option is presented. If the game is digital-only and my options are buy it digitally or don't buy it, I'll buy it digitally. My Steam library, however, contains a mix of optionally-disk based and digital only games, because I don't forsee Valve going anywhere with the market they're sitting on

Edit - many problems with digital downloads, like on the 3DS, however, can be avoided if you purchase good flash media, make a backup of it every so often, protect your system, don't lose your system, don't damage it beyond repair, and be able to service it yourself when the need arises.

Reactions: Skelletonike

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't, though. I don't trust digital distribution for long term file support when the files are centralized on a third party's servers and not your own in-house storage. However, I don't buy my games in any other way than cartridge form (I don't buy disk based games to begin with) when the option is presented. If the game is digital-only and my options are buy it digitally or don't buy it, I'll buy it digitally. My Steam library, however, contains a mix of optionally-disk based and digital only games, because I don't forsee Valve going anywhere with the market they're sitting on

Edit - many problems with digital downloads, like on the 3DS, however, can be avoided if you purchase good flash media, make a backup of it every so often, protect your system, don't lose your system, don't damage it beyond repair, and be able to service it yourself when the need arises.

that's what i do with my ps3 but i fucked up one thing with it. (look at my new blog entry if you want to find out) and what the sad thing is for ps3 is there are only some games you can get disk.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo=once you sell your system or lose it for good you stuff on the ESHOP is SOL and you can't rebuy it back at a later time if you plan to get a different system.
sony=if you sell and deactive your system and get a system at a later time you can acess you content again.

i think nintendo should take a look at sony's way of life.

You mean likes Sony's, "You bought a PS4.. So all your PSN stuff won't work!" attitude?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You mean likes Sony's, "You bought a PS4.. So all your PSN stuff won't work!" attitude?
More like Sony's "you bought a PSVita, now you need to buy a protest proprietary non-SD card that costs multiple times as much, just to do digital or saves (?)!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ