Hacking Theoretically, what would happen if you updated a homebrew 3DS?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,407
  • Replies 5
D

Deleted User

OP
Does an error occur? Does it update like normal but just erases homebrew data? Does the 3DS explode? Thanks for answering.

Last edited by ,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what you mean. If you're just using an exploit to run software off your SD card, assuming the update fixes the exploit, you won't be able to run the software through the exploit anymore.

D

Deleted User

OP
Depends on what you mean. If you're just using an exploit to run software off your SD card, assuming the update fixes the exploit, you won't be able to run the software through the exploit anymore.
OK, I just wanted to make sure I'm safe if I ever want to update the system in case a future version of 3DS also supports homebrew/I decide to quit using homebrew.

One more thing, it is possible to play online games on older firmware, right? Or do you need CFW for that?

otto888

I break things for a living.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I just wanted to make sure I'm safe if I ever want to update the system in case a future version of 3DS also supports homebrew/I decide to quit using homebrew.

One more thing, it is possible to play online games on older firmware, right? Or do you need CFW for that?
As long as the game itself is up to date, yes. If its not, you'll have to update the game somehow.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general rule, as long as you don't muck about with your NAND, you'll always be safe to update. You'll just lose your exploit for running homebrew.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does an error occur? Does it update like normal but just erases homebrew data? Does the 3DS explode? Thanks for answering.
If you are on 9.2 or below using CFW then what happens would depend on your setup. Running an update on sysNAND from CFW will generally cause a brick but updating normally without running CFW first would just block the CFW from working (not recommended as you can stay updated using emuNAND instead so there's no benefit to doing s)
If you're on 9.3+ then not much happens since Ninjhax 2.0 hasn't been patched yet, but obviously when it does, homebrew would simply stop working. The exploit would probably just crash the game, crash the 3DS or do nothing at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey