TheFlow manages to activate debug settings on PlayStation 5, no ETA on a release

Playstation-5@2000x1270-696x442.jpg

TheFlow has managed to shake up the PlayStation hacking scene with just a single screenshot. If you're aware of TheFlow, you'll know that he's known for a variety of homebrew projects, especially centered around the PlayStation Vita, with noteworthy releases consisting of a PlayStation 4 OFW 7.55 exploit, a port of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to the Vita, h-encore, Adrenaline, and VitaShell for the Vita. Now he's set his sights on a new PlayStation system, because posted today on his Twitter account was a picture of a PS5's settings menu, with a special option that's normally not seen: Debug Settings. Presumably, this means TheFlow has found an exploit for the PlayStation 5, but before you get your hopes up, there are no plans for this to be disclosed, and no ETA for a release. Still, it's quite interesting to see.

:discuss: Discussion Thread

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Nah, I would be surprised if anything is released for the next couple years.
$ucks. Maybe I should just buy a Ps5, leave it sealed in its box and wait for an exploit.

What about Ps4 8.0 or 9.0 exploit?
My Ps4 1200 series cr@pped out and I've been in a dilemma, buy a Ps5, I don't update and wait for exploit?
Or try my luck for a 7.55 Ps4? I've seen Fifa 21 pro and slims hopefully below 7.55

I know Sleirsgoevy has website for 9.0, but only works on 9.0 so useless for 8.xx, and speculation has it that cTurds $10,000 Sony bounty was a kernel exploit, hopefully to be disclosed in a few months but it's probably a 8.xx kernel exploit.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do consoles have debug features like this in their retail models even if they are hidden?
It's cheaper all round if they are essentially the same hardware.

They get economy of scale during manufacturing and it will behave more like a retail console.

We only know that the menu appears though, not that anything works.

Reactions: gbatempfan1

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm kinda the same way. sometimes I put people on my ignore list too quickly. he may be autistic, but he's also one of the most intelligent hackers I've seen. I say leave him alone for now. if he wants to release the exploit, then that's great, but if not, that's also okay. I don't blame him for feeling the way that he does. some people in the scene have truly frustrated me as well.
he will probably release the exploit after $ony's patched or bounty program expires.

Why would he release it to an ungrateful, stingy and toxic community to pirate games for free when he can sell the exploit for many K of dollars??

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have to edit the firmware, yes, but the ps4 and probably 5 change the memory. since the ps4 at least uses a race attack, that's why it sometimes fails. it really depends on what's happening in memory at the time the payload is deployed. there's no real way to make it work every time afaik. at best, it might be 99% if everything is perfect, but never 100 percent.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, that's the category_game.xml in dev_flash1_vsh_resource_explore_xmb. you can make it appear, but it won't work without a patch. it's probably the same with the ps4 and 5. I think the ps3 actually calls the hdd packages folder "og" lol, that's where rebug puts rebug toolbox, but it's in the flash in the rebug folder. it doesn't care where it's located really, but yeah, you still need a patch. on psdevwiki, it mentions where the patch is, but you'd need an exploit to get at the patch. ps3, vita, probably ps4 and 5, are encrypted and compressed using zlib.

Reactions: xstationbr

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's one person in particular the flow has mentioned who made him quit the ps4 scene. he deleted his tweets though.

Just sounds like a manchild more than anything, if he's going to make it seems like "X made me quit". I can name a few people in the Wii U hacking scene who did that lol.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well maybe that's just because no one has thought to ask him for one yet.
No, he has stated himself that there is no ETA or plans for disclosure.
I'm kinda the same way. sometimes I put people on my ignore list too quickly. he may be autistic, but he's also one of the most intelligent hackers I've seen. I say leave him alone for now. if he wants to release the exploit, then that's great, but if not, that's also okay. I don't blame him for feeling the way that he does. some people in the scene have truly frustrated me as well.
As someone who is Autistic, I can vouch that it really is a super power sometimes. I wouldn't be nearly as good with technology if I wasn't because I wouldn't put as much of a focus into learning everything.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he has stated himself that there is no ETA or plans for disclosure.

As someone who is Autistic, I can vouch that it really is a super power sometimes. I wouldn't be nearly as good with technology if I wasn't because I wouldn't put as much of a focus into learning everything.
I have schizoaffective disorder, which is why I'm on disability. I try to stay focused, mostly with helping people on the internet, but it's like there's a constant needle in my brain, so sometimes I go off on people when I've had enough. I do feel bad about that, and I've tried to keep calm, but it's not always easy, lost a lot of friends that way. I've been very open about my condition so people would be more understanding.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just sounds like a manchild more than anything, if he's going to make it seems like "X made me quit". I can name a few people in the Wii U hacking scene who did that lol.
would you say that about me? I plan to quit after the ps4 scene due to the ps3 scene. I say, "don't bit the hand that feeds you," which is exactly what certain people have done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...