wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
review.gif
The World's "1st" USB 16-bit Retro Dumper
Retrode.org
golden-carts1.png

As of mid June, users can now dump most retro system carts using a custom built USB adapter. Retrode.org is constructing and selling this adapter specifically for SNES and GENS with plans for possible N64, GBA, GBx inclusion. For more information on this device please check the links below.

Features said:
• USB adapter for *SNES and *SEGA *Genesis game cartridges
• Custom-made cartridge connectors of video game quality
• USB 2.0 Full-Speed composite device (Mass Storage + HID)
• SRAM feature: Reading/writing of *SNES savegames
• Driverless operation under all halfway modern operating systems
• Extension pins for up to four *SNES/*NES gamepads. [1]
• retrode.cfg file for easy customization.
• Updateable firmware.
• Aluminum enclosure with logo print.
• Made in Germany. (As if anyone cares ;-))
• Dimensions (approx.): 148mm x 65mm x 25.5mm (5.8? x 2.6? x 1.0?)
• The first batch of Retrodes (”Golden Edition”) is available now! Order yours in my online store or through our friends at Stone Age Gamer.

icon11.gif
 About
icon11.gif
 Development History
icon11.gif
Plug-in Expansion Information (Atari, N64, etc)
icon11.gif
 F.A.Q.
icon11.gif
 Purchase

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool little product, can't say I'd have much of a use for it but it might be nice to have one.

Also, it's made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Awesomeness! This is something I want immensely.

...So you can all add that to your list of things that I want. I know you all keep track and all.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder who their target market is. $100 and compatibility is not yet 100%.

edit:
Found this and lol'd at the last one:
* you like playing legacy video games on your PC, and doing so legally
* you want to preserve your investment in these games, even after all hardware has expired
* you want to back up your game progress, e.g. before replacing the cartridge battery
* you like emulator cheats, but prefer to finish the boss on the real console
* you simply think it’s cool to plug huge game cartridges into a PDA or cell phone

edit2:

This made me laugh too
Extension pins for up to four SNES/NES gamepads. [1]
[1] To use this feature, you have to get an old multitap adapter, take the connectors, and connect each of them to the Retrode using five wires.

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
This device is shipping since Feb 11th, not mid June.

The timing of this article (or is it an ad) is terrible, the Anniversary Bundle offer ended July 18th and they're not shipping between July 21st and August 10th.

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
ShadowSoldier said:
I suppose if people don't want to pirate the games and just have legit backups.....
What's the legal difference between downloading a rom of a cartridge you own using the internet or dumping the cartridge to a rom using this device?

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perkele said:
ShadowSoldier said:
I suppose if people don't want to pirate the games and just have legit backups.....
What's the legal difference between downloading a rom of a cartridge you own using the internet or dumping the cartridge to a rom using this device?

Had this discussion many times and the only answer I ever end up getting boils down to 'principle'. Go figure.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
perkele said:
This device is shipping since Feb 11th, not mid June.

The timing of this article (or is it an ad) is terrible, the Anniversary Bundle offer ended July 18th and they're not shipping between July 21st and August 10th.

thanks for all of your bitching, so helpful. i'm doing my best to bring information to gbatemp. i post it when i find it. i guess you can't understand that and you assume i should be all places at once? if you have nothing productive to "ad", try not posting at all. it works.

-another world

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
perkele said:
It's technically illegal by US law (so don't do it), but there's nothing really wrong with it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
perkele said:

Simple: Obtaining a rom by any method other than dumping your own purchased copy is illegal, in the eyes of US law. It is also illegal to bypass any DRM or encryption. (as was already said in this thread, there is no encryption or DRM on SNES/GNES carts...kind of before DRM).

In both cases (downloading vs dumping) the ROMs are IDENTICAL, and it can very easily be made impossible to figure out how you obtained it. As long as you aren't caught sharing the rom with anyone, and you own the physical game, US law doesn't care (it really doesn't care if you download, it just cares if you upload. While that isn't the actual law, companies/corporations/entities/groups are only going after people that upload/share, and not people who strictly download/leech. Go figure.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Since when has downloading been illegal? I was under the impression (and all the law documents I can find online back it up) that the situation in the USA is the same as the UK - uploading is a Criminal Offence (illegal) yet downloading is a Civil Tort (or Civil Wrong). You cannot be prosecuted for the latter, only sued. Which is what has happened so far, people taken to county court (or US equivalent) and sued.

Also, who'd pay so much for a simple cart copier? I'd rather buy a full copybox (GD, SWC, PF etc) for around the same price that will let you copy a cart or download roms from the net and then play them on original hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: