The Wii will come out on top in the next generatio

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Arm73, Oct 8, 2006.

Oct 8, 2006
  1. Arm73
    OP

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I found this interesting article on IGN,
    SOURCE

I really feel and hope that this is going to happen for real.
    After all if it wasn't for the innovation brought by the Nintendo DS I might as well give up gaming for good by now.....

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I find it funny how they expect so much more out of PS3 than 360.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    There's a girl who never plays video games at all lying on my bed right now playing my DS Lite.

She's yelling some profanity at it while playing the mini games on New Super Mario Bros. She's been playing for about an hour.

I think Nintendo's onto something [​IMG] Lets hope the wii does what they promise.

4. leehom

Newcomer leehom Member

How is it funny? 360 bombed in Japan. There's no possibility the PS3 could do any worse. If you don't believe me, here's a picture...
    [​IMG]
    In fact, the 360 is selling around $200 USD in Japan and it's still not selling....

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    My girlfriend was never into games either, aside the likes of Tetris and Bookworm but shes on the DS more than me and now has made plans for us to cue up to get a Wii on launch!

Nintendo has cracked the female market, not by doing barbie games and all that but by just offering something different and something that none gamers would find appealing.

For the first time since the N64 do I feel that Nintendo could own the market.

6. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Same goes for me...my wife has never ever thought of playing games before but with the introduction of the Nintendo DS, these kind of touch screen games make her really attracted to some of these games...Like Brain Age and Super Mario Bros.

I really really think Nintendo is onto something....I hope they can repeat the same success with the Wii...I long for the time to see Nintendo on top again...they'll make more games that way.

7. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I still say the idiot whos idea it was for Japan to be part of the world wide release needs sacking. Everyone in Europe and the USA was crying out for one and Japan had loads of unsold ones. I pre ordered mine the first day and mine had run out of stock. I had to wait 4 months before I managed to get one, I did cancel my pre order I'd probably have had to wait 6 months for the premium. Anyway back on topic how can you do a survey for the wii in Japan and based on what they've said in Japan about it say its going to sell well everywhere.

8. Arm73
    OP

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    If it sells well in Japan, Wii will see a lot of quality games coming out from the major companys, after all 90% of the games I like to play are from Japanese companys(like Konami, Capcom, Sega and of course Nintendo).
    If the Wii it's a success at least in Japan, it will have a huge support from developers and that means more and more games.

9. Vidikron

Newcomer Vidikron Advanced Member

United States
    I think it's a shame the Japanese won't give the 360 a shot. MS will never succeed over there because they won't buy the system unless it has more games that appeal to Japanese tastes, but the Japanese companies won't give the system more support because they feel like know one will buy it. I see no way out of that situtation.

For MS to succeed over there they need support from a company like Square Enix. Sure, Square Enix threw MS a bone with FF XI, but that game was already old news (had already been launched on PS2 and PC) and really isn't that good to begin with.

As this article states, developers acknowledge how easy it is to develop for the system. It also has far and away the best online service. I don't think Nintendo or Sony will ever be able to match Live with a free service. Yeah, we haven't seen all of what Nintendo is planning with their online stuff, but I have serious doubts it will match Live. Nintendo doesn't like to take losses, so they will likely only provide as much as sales of their virtual console games can support. And will we actually be able to have gamer tags that can be used across all games, or are we going to be stuck with the stupid friend codes we have on the DS? IMO, the 360 has a lot going for it, but it just won't make a difference in Japan. I think the gaming public over there has a bias against the system to begin with and I'm not sure MS will ever overcome that.

10. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    One friend code per console.

11. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Wow, the Japanese really seem to hate the 360, where everyone over here in Canada loves it to death. If the price of the 360 drops here, I'll probably buy one of those alogn with the Wii, just so I could use it as a Media Center Extender.

I thought Sony was on top of the market in that era, but I may be wrong.

12. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Wii60 that´s the way.

hadrian was just talking about his expectations, which are similar to mines [​IMG]

13. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Eh? How come no one is ever touting a PSWii? [​IMG]

14. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I don't think its just a matter of the games. If sony or nintendo made the 360 it would sell like hotcakes. The Japanese only seem to buy products that are made in their own county.

15. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    the 360 has a certain stigma in japan, the think that no american console can out perform their homemade hardware. Im also kinda sick of MS dominating everything first it was computers now its gaming and with the release of the zune their hoping to snatch the mp3 market

16. lagman

Mexico
    I don´t think so.
    The XB360 is mostly a FPS console, the japanese are not really into that.
    They´re not into GTA concept neither, but they have tons of really nice RPGs on Sony and Nintendo consoles.

17. OrR

Germany
    The Xbox was an FPS console but the 360 isn't.

18. lagman

Mexico
    Which is the most anticipited game for the 360?
    And the second?

Halo 3 & Gears Of War, right? [​IMG]

19. OrR

Germany
    Well, there are things I find more interesting... Viva Pinata, GTA 4, lots of Live Arcade games, ...

20. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    i love japanese games and culture, but on the 360 subject, they can kiss my american ass. i have a wii, and i've spent several hours on my friends PS3 (which he didnt like and sold on ebay)...and i still think that the 360 is going to have american market share, hands down. the games are great and the difference in graphics and controls dont make it worth another $200 just to get a ps3.... the 360 is an all around great system. Live is its favorite weapon, but, hey, its got great games too...Viva Pinata is awesome, btw.