Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
I don't think too many people will be bothered about being banned from online

I beg to differ with the imminent release of Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm waiting for wii homebrew to get rolling before I buy my wii. So i'm hoping the scene advances quickly with this.

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sheeeeeeyit.

Just when I thought the Wii scene was starting to slowly fade, this news happens and revitalized my hopes of being able to easily modify my Wii!

132 User(s) are reading this topic (69 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users).
laugh.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know where they teach English in Poland Movi but that is some mastery of doublespeak you have there (almost it is not a bug it is an undisclosed feature grade).
It is not as though Nintendo has not "suffered" at the hands of such hacks before: as I recall nobody to this day has found a way to dump the GB BIOS so an scanning electron microscope was used instead. A situation that I would wager money did more to help the rise of flash cards than almost anything since (GB became GBC which became early GBA which matured and became DS capable....)
I am not saying hardware level hacking is easy but be it hardware or software it is still a hole: if indeed we take your example it could further extend to a remote exploit could then be considered more valid than one that requires me to have physical access.

As for the SNES question, sorry I do not use it.

Still let the speculation continue.

Edit:
Thanks GH0ST, I can not believe I forgot that site. Guess it is time to sleep.

Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fast: I'll take that as a complement
smile.gif

As for the topic at hand, i still think it isn't a grave error on their part. The console was made with simplicity in mind, and looking back at the "security" measures implemented in the Gamecube, the Wii encryption scheme is definitely a step forward in the right direction (at least from N's point of view). Now beeing purely theoretical here (and notice, we're still basing the whole idea on what i wrote before, which could be rubbish) N could either encrypt all of the memory in Wii mode on the fly - which would either slow the whole console down or require more powerfull/dedicated hardware. Both of these reasons point to a "No" answer. They could also be less "sloppy" and clear or at least rand() the whole upper memory region after the jump to GC mode (if the memory is not going to be used of course, which could be wrong).

This got me wondering - does the Xbox360 encrypt its RAM while running?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To the non-believers : Why would someone go to one of the biggest, most high profile hacker events around and lie? Think about it before answering.

Also, remember the hoodie showing the 360 linux penguin hack at the same conference last year.....

And you personally know that this was at said event. If you go on the event's website and so a CTRL+F find for 'Wii', nothing comes up. I don't have time to look through the whole list, so I might be wrong, but I think 'Wii' would be in the event name somewhere...? That seems to be the only thing that guy's presentation was on.

Just for the record, I believe this is real, I'm just trying to check that everything that can be proved true is proved true.
I can appreciate the skepticism due to all the fakes around these days, but this is one of the few cases where it's really not warranted at all, especially considering what happened last year at the same conference: security hole revealed, drivechips sprung up a week later (slight exaggeration).

Personally, I'm just hoping that this can eventually result in being able to examine the disc structure properly (which can have other benefits - garbage data removal anyone?), as well as the structure of the encrypted VC games
wink.gif

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So if they now have the encryption and decryption keys on the disk, does this mean that all the "filler" data can be removed to allow for smaller downloaded isos?

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all you naysayers. These are the same people who presented how to how hack the Wii's dvd drive to accept new commands via a hidden serial port at last year's convention. It's real.

thehive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is demo code that is very close to this that ships with the official SDK. It wouldn't be very hard to record some SDK demo running on NDEV. I'm not saying this is fake...it's just not very conclusive.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol. about five minutes before i read this i was thinking about:

hmmm when they come out with wii HB, will they make their own dedicated VisualStudio-esque thing?

This is good news.

--will cream self soon--
xD

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see no good coming from this :'(. The homebrew potential for this is fairly low, besides the occasional game, due to the fact that most people have a home computer. Also, this will bring piracy to the ignorant ("put in this disc and play downloaded games? Why buy a game ever again?"), which would drastically reduce any profit game companies make
unsure.gif

With nintendo being able to write firmware updates to the wii. Maybe we will see hacked firmware, so they'll be no need for swaping discs. I don't think too many people will be bothered about being banned from online, if they ever decided to do it on the wii.

Brawlol

Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm interested in seeing the whole WMV, but the link doesn't work (checking the IP reveals a machine at the convention, probably a laptop which is down right now). Anybody who has a copy could upload it somewhere (rapidshare would be nice..)

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm thrilled. I don't really know what this means, but it's good progress, I figure. I'm going to continue buying my Wii games for a fair while now, but some day if the Wii scene gets to the point where the DS scene is now (as with the slot-1 flash cards), then at that point I'll look in to picking up a "solution" for Wii gaming. I messed around with the Supercard and Superpass on the DS and was never impressed. So I gave up piracy for a long time, but when I invested in an R4, I really got back in to playing the DS and thought it was entirely worth it. I'm not interested in some sloppy Wii pirating at this point, I have no problem buying my games (see: earning them with GamingLagoon and PrizeRebel) for now, but a year or two down the road, if there's something quick, clean and simple, I'll be all for it. Cheers pirates!
grog.gif

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"They were able to find encryption and decryption keys by doing full memory
dumps at runtime over a custom serial interface."

Assuming it is true it is very similar to how HDDVD was first done (same as a whole bunch of hacks though),

I would like to see this turn into some rom (iso?) hacks too.

Exactly what I was thinking. Hope we don't have another decryption key fiasco, and I certainly hope it doesn't become a meme. 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0 was really annoying.
wink.gif

This is some very interesting news. I can just feel the anticipation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.