Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You people who are calling fake do realize where they were presenting at, right? Why would anyone get up at a hacker convention and try to fool others when they are going right back to their collaboration rooms to show others and further the work?

And as was said earlier, if you have hacked the encryption then modchips will soon be a thing of the past. With so many ways to get code into the machine (SD card, USB, Bluetooth, etc.) it will be easy for them to get the drive into regular DVD mode and read backups. They just have to find a way to get something to load from one of those inputs. It's all a matter of time, just like it was with Gamecube. Always remember, whatever Nintendo does has to be compatible with the millions of Wiis already out there -- they can't stop it.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Really interesting if it's true. I can easily imagine that wii homebrews would be so much more interesting than nintendo's lame channels.
tongue.gif

but what i've seen nintendo's consoles were never homebrew developers favorite ones. Like with psp and ds.
tongue.gif

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isn't the video on youtube proof?
they do a demonstration where they run their own "game" and it shows homebrew running in wii mode.

i think its legit.
The video by itself is not proof. How do you know they've not got a PC running GlovePIE set up on the projector?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
You people who are calling fake do realize where they were presenting at, right? Why would anyone get up at a hacker convention and try to fool others when they are going right back to their collaboration rooms to show others and further the work?

And as was said earlier, if you have hacked the encryption then modchips will soon be a thing of the past. With so many ways to get code into the machine (SD card, USB, Bluetooth, etc.) it will be easy for them to get the drive into regular DVD mode and read backups. They just have to find a way to get something to load from one of those inputs. It's all a matter of time, just like it was with Gamecube. Always remember, whatever Nintendo does has to be compatible with the millions of Wiis already out there -- they can't stop it.

"The" encryption.

Nintendo don't encrypt everything with the same key. See: DS.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
With the encryption details you can bypass the Firmware booting mechanism, removing the restriction to only accept genuine disks. am I right?

Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok so this is my take on this topic. I'll state from the beggining : im not a GC programmer, but i did some work of Systems Programming in General.

So here goes my speculation:

From what he said, it seems the hollywood has a built-in Hypervisor (or at least something that resembles it), and when booting the gamecube mode it cuts off the higher regions of the memory (and also all the extra Wii hardware). What i _think_ they did was forcefully change the memory region (as in switching address lines by cables or something equally barbaric ;]) of the CPU so that it could read the higher memory, in hope of finding something valuable (like temporary encryption keys or whatnot). It would seem they somehow managed to do just that - the got all of the memory and dumped its contents, and found the needed keys to sign code. This kinda means that the Ninty doesnt use any kind of memory scrambling or encryption, and also means that the hypervisor is kinda sloppy
smile.gif

So what can they do now? Well, as someone stated they can write their own code, but i think the next logical step is to try and decode the firmware (which i believe was dumped some time ago), and find the method for creating your own channels.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can make your own channels and thereby extend the firmware? Yes! (Though there would still be the same update incompatabilities, wouldnt recommend it)

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To the non-believers : Why would someone go to one of the biggest, most high profile hacker events around and lie? Think about it before answering.

Also, remember the hoodie showing the 360 linux penguin hack at the same conference last year.....

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so this is my take on this topic. I'll state from the beggining : im not a GC programmer, but i did some work of Systems Programming in General.

So here goes my speculation:

From what he said, it seems the hollywood has a built-in Hypervisor (or at least something that resembles it), and when booting the gamecube mode it cuts off the higher regions of the memory (and also all the extra Wii hardware). What i _think_ they did was forcefully change the memory region (as in switching address lines by cables or something equally barbaric ;]) of the CPU so that it could read the higher memory, in hope of finding something valuable (like temporary encryption keys or whatnot). It would seem they somehow managed to do just that - the got all of the memory and dumped its contents, and found the needed keys to sign code. This kinda means that the Ninty doesnt use any kind of memory scrambling or encryption, and also means that the hypervisor is kinda sloppy
smile.gif

So what can they do now? Well, as someone stated they can write their own code, but i think the next logical step is to try and decode the firmware (which i believe was dumped some time ago), and find the method for creating your own channels.

Very similar to the original XBox.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So with this hack it would be possible to use external hdd to store Games ,Music ,Movies? ,Emulators and all the rest of that jazz.

Thank you Mr Unhooded guy
bow.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With the ammount of firmware updates nintendo puts out to run new games, this seems like a nuisance more than anything.
Plus considering the games that are made by developers wth huge budgets are kind of choppy on the wii I can't imagine homebrew games being all that great.

I do believe it though. They would just detroy their credibility by faking something like this.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
With the ammount of firmware updates nintendo puts out to run new games, this seems like a nuisance more than anything.
Plus considering the games that are made by developers wth huge budgets are kind of choppy on the wii I can't imagine homebrew games being all that great.

I do believe it though. They would just detroy their credibility by faking something like this.
Firmware updates haven't killed the PSP homebrew either. And personally I'm finding the PSP homebrew also more interesting than the games that it has itself... Also it'd be cool if this allowed not only homebrew, but also allowed more region freedom and the virtual console working with any title. (also like psp's psx thingy again
shy.gif
)

ArAcHnId

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
now we need some good coders to come on board

yeah because the standard one at nintendo are really crappy (and no this wasnt sarcasme
tongue.gif
)

Keys hacked > Definately means no more modchips needed
happy.gif

this would greatly suck as i only chipped my wii last week

QUOTE(ganons @ Dec 28 2007, 07:27 PM)hdd attachment ftw

LIKE OMG my media center dreams for the wii become reality =D *does the happy dance*
this would be so cool, if it really was true

but about the hacker convention stuff
maybe no one knows, or don't care, but germany only recently (a month or so ago) passed a law that now forbids olmost every kind of hacking, so i'm not certain as to the extend the convention is infact real (i am so hoping it is, and that it'll continue
tongue.gif
)

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
For the people who have seen the real video, that doesn't prove anything. They could be running GlovePIE on a PC... And also, watch near the end. The Wiimote is barely moving in his hand, yet the pointers on the screen are still moving like crazy... Maybe that's just because it's set to be really sensitive or something, I don't know...

Turn up Wii, and stand about 10 meters from the sensor bar and try keep cursor stable. What do you see?

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If this was demonstrated from someones home I would be suspect that it would be fake. Since this was shown at a prestigious hacking convention I'm guessing that it's real.

I'll wait and see how far they can take it though. WiiMediaCenter? External Hard drives? Games being able to be copied and run from HD? I hope so
smile.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this was demonstrated from someones home I would be suspect that it would be fake. Since this was shown at a prestigious hacking convention I'm guessing that it's real.

I'll wait and see how far they can take it though. WiiMediaCenter? External Hard drives? Games being able to be copied and run from HD? I hope so
smile.gif

Yeah all the possibilities of wii homebrew, and don't forget the possibilities of WiFi homebrew
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night