Hacking The "Which flashcart to get?" Info Thread

Ghork

Trophies
XP
Country
Does/will SupercardDSTwo support connecting to a wii in games?
My brothers R4 freeze when you try it and you cant play gba on R4 so I'm thinking of getting SupercardDSTwo even though I don't have any DS of my own (my brother rarely plays his).

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ghork said:
Does/will SupercardDSTwo support connecting to a wii in games?
My brothers R4 freeze when you try it and you cant play gba on R4 so I'm thinking of getting SupercardDSTwo even though I don't have any DS of my own (my brother rarely plays his).
Supposedly it will...The regular R4 firmware can't support wii connection, but supposedly WoodR4 can (I think)...technically you could play GBA games on the R4 if you get the 3in1 which is half of the price of the SCDS2. You could double check the woodR4 wii connectivity thing and if it really does work, that it might actually be better to just get the 3in1 since its a lot cheaper and you would have about the same ending point (unless you use the SCDS2's extra stuff...)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Densetsu3000 said:
This is a great topic, I think the only thing I could think of to improve it would be to include the typical/average price of each flashcart in the first post, and possibly a table showing all of the features at a glance based on info provided by people who own each flashcart.
NOTE: May have inaccuracies; this is just a mock-up example.
Code:
Flashcart:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAceKard 2iÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂCycloDSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂM3i Zero
================================================================
Price:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂUSD $12ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂUSD $40ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂUSD $25

Cheats:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyesÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyesÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyes

RTS:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂnoÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyesÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyes

RTG:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂnoÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyesÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂyes

Special:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂawesomeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ"stealth"ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂnative
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂunofficialÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂfeatureÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂGBA
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂfirmwareÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂsupport
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ*requires GBA
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂexpansion pack

This is something that I'd like to see in reality in this thread (or just add the Wiki link to the first post).

Something I'd like to see in the first post is actually seeing what features a certain flashcard has. The updates for the AK2i (AKAIO) have been lately released somewhat at the same time as the CycloDS updates and so forth so I don't see how they don't have the same text regarding updates and compatibility. The thing I'm trying to say is that the info parts have same kinds of terms for certain things. Not "100% Rom Compatibility (95% of them time wink.gif )" and "Fairly good rom compatibility" but for example "Near 100% Rom compatibility". There are only a few games that don't work on either said flashcard with AKAIO or CycloDS BETA B.1.

I don't personally want to go telling everyone that one card is better than the other or that a certain card blows because it doesn't have this or that. I'd just like to see an unbiased comparison in a similar way that it is now. Currently the first post of this topic is a bit too anti-CycloDS. I understand that the writer might have something against certain cards and has personal preferences but hey c'mon. How many people here think that only one card is the solution to everything and the best option for everyone?

Kudos to the maker of the thread in any case.

//Qtis

ps. And as for fanboys. I think the AK2i and AKAIO fw have about the same level of fanboys as the CycloDS.. I can't say that I haven't said a thing or two to contribute to the CycloDS part but still. Does that have jack to do with basic Flashcard info?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Qtis said:
This is something that I'd like to see in reality in this thread (or just add the Wiki link to the first post).

That's what I was planning to do, because making my own would pretty much be redundant and be pretty similar to the wiki one.

Something I'd like to see in the first post is actually seeing what features a certain flashcard has. The updates for the AK2i (AKAIO) have been lately released somewhat at the same time as the CycloDS updates and so forth so I don't see how they don't have the same text regarding updates and compatibility. The thing I'm trying to say is that the info parts have same kinds of terms for certain things. Not "100% Rom Compatibility (95% of them time wink.gif )" and "Fairly good rom compatibility" but for example "Near 100% Rom compatibility". There are only a few games that don't work on either said flashcard with AKAIO or CycloDS BETA B.1.

You say you'd like to see features of a certain flashcart (which is what the first post already contains), but then go onto to use examples that show you want a more grammatical change than info change.

I don't personally want to go telling everyone that one card is better than the other or that a certain card blows because it doesn't have this or that. I'd just like to see an unbiased comparison in a similar way that it is now. Currently the first post of this topic is a bit too anti-CycloDS. I understand that the writer might have something against certain cards and has personal preferences but hey c'mon. How many people here think that only one card is the solution to everything and the best option for everyone?

I don't really have any sort of bias are opinion towards any flashcart. My only flashcart (as of right now) is the M3i Zero, but I don't think it's the best just because it's the only one I have. If I am biased I really don't want to be biased (seriously, being biased or trying to feed people info I want them to have makes me almost get sick).

Kudos to the maker of the thread in any case.

//Qtis

ps. And as for fanboys. I think the AK2i and AKAIO fw have about the same level of fanboys as the CycloDS.. I can't say that I haven't said a thing or two to contribute to the CycloDS part but still. Does that have jack to do with basic Flashcard info?

That comment was just a little joke. I added that when I originally made it (during a party at my own house at 3 in the morning), and I had no idea this would be stickied. I've contemplated removing it, but no one has really outright complained or asked me to remove it. I'll remove it if you really find it to harm the CycloDS's "rep".

And the difference between AKAIO fanboys and Cyclo fanboys is that Cyclo fanboys (or the generalization of a Cyclo fanboy) thinks TeamCyclops are 1337 hackers who can hack the DSi within 5 seconds even though the original Wii hackers could no accomplish this within a year.

If anyone thinks that any part of the original post is biased or unfair please tell me.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
If anyone thinks that any part of the original post is biased or unfair please tell me.
Lol, even if it is biased because the infamous cards are not shown (R4, DSTT, clones xD)? The only real thing I think should even be considered for an addition would be the R4 original w/ WoodR4 even with the fact that it isn't DSi and SDHC compatible (because I have an R4 xD), but apart from that, I think its fairly impartial.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DeltaBurnt said:

Actually part of that post wasn't even supposed to be posted, my fault on that. Didn't think that I'd end up checking up certain parts of this forum around 2.30 am after a long day of work + having a fever. On top of that I had had a hell of a night with getting things back on track concerning personal issues between a few friends
biggrin.gif

Indeed what I'd like to see is the use of same kinds of terms for this and that. It's more a grammatical issue like you say. The info change would not necessarily be that big but it would include the same things for same effects. Thus easier to compare.

As for the R4 /w WoodR4, that is an idea to think about since it offers similar features that AKAIO does for Acekard cards (albeit not as much features since it's just been released a while ago and no DSi support in the same way as CycloDS is NDS/NDSL only).

//Qtis

ps. the fanboy issue is something I've missed completely in the case of considering TC as elite hackers.. One point for them is still the fact that they managed to get a flashcard working for the DSi a long time ago (even before anyone else had something to add to that IIRC?). Not that I mind since I have an older DSL which works well with the Cyclo and I don't have any compatibility problems
tongue.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Qtis said:
DeltaBurnt said:

Actually part of that post wasn't even supposed to be posted, my fault on that. Didn't think that I'd end up checking up certain parts of this forum around 2.30 am after a long day of work + having a fever. On top of that I had had a hell of a night with getting things back on track concerning personal issues between a few friends
biggrin.gif

Indeed what I'd like to see is the use of same kinds of terms for this and that. It's more a grammatical issue like you say. The info change would not necessarily be that big but it would include the same things for same effects. Thus easier to compare.

As for the R4 /w WoodR4, that is an idea to think about since it offers similar features that AKAIO does for Acekard cards (albeit not as much features since it's just been released a while ago and no DSi support in the same way as CycloDS is NDS/NDSL only).

//Qtis

ps. the fanboy issue is something I've missed completely in the case of considering TC as elite hackers.. One point for them is still the fact that they managed to get a flashcard working for the DSi a long time ago (even before anyone else had something to add to that IIRC?). Not that I mind since I have an older DSL which works well with the Cyclo and I don't have any compatibility problems
tongue.gif

Umm...the Acekard2i came out 3 days after the release of the DSi in Japan, the Cyclo definitely wasn't the first to be shown working on the DSi.

As for R4 with Wood R4 I'll most likely add that.

Einherion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, dont hate me, im a noob.

i am in the market for a flashcart for the Nds Lite. i know i know, search it noob, but what i am after is the ability to play my backed up games cause i have a nasty tendency to lose my Ds carts. ive read this and all, but i dont understand some of it. so many conflicting opinions and features that i dont understand what they do. all i want is to play my backed up games, no music or anything. just good support for ds lite. Now it is my understanding that i want an Acekard 2. but i dont understand the features and AKKIo? would someone please be so kind as to either A) give teh nOOB some links. B) give the noob some advice C) just tell me which to buy.

Thank you very much in advance.

note: my interest is only a few weeks old which is why i am not very well versed in the Flashcart world. And i want to get one quickly. i started looking at R4, and just found out today that they are dead (facepalm). then i started looking at flashcart vendors and found out about clones (do not want). then i started looking up types of flashcarts and they all seemed the same (from their official pages). then i found this website (and then i realized how much i dont know)
and now we are all caught up.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind the money and want something that can get the job done period, you could aim for a CycloDS, which has practically no learning curve (unlike AKAIO) and its a simple plug and play. AKAIO is a fairly easy learning curve though, and it provides a lot of nice things that probably won't be used in your case (CycloDS provides more gaming extras like RealTimeSave, RealTimeGuide, etc. whereas AKAIO has file manipulation, ie. cut, copy, paste, delete.), but it is just as great as a CycloDS otherwise.

In any case, all of the flashcarts would work just as well for your situation (hell even the R4 would serve well enough). The best suggestion I could give you would be to purchase the cheapest flashcart you can, since you are only aiming for playing backups. In this case, I would surprisingly either recommend R4+WoodR4 (simple to set up and great compatibility for the past released games so far) and is extremely cheap, or Acekard AKAIO (the learning curve isn't really THAT bad and most of it can be used plug and play anyways and you can learn the rest at your leisure).

Einherion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since my bday is coming up and i start back at work, money is not a huge problem (like 80$ is a bit much, but the 40$ or so for a cyclone would be fine)
what sites do you trust. i read about where not to buy, but where is good to buy from?
now i have a hacked wii, so i know a bit about moving files and stuff...just never heard of AKAIotill today.

http://www.acekard.com/product.php?type=ak2

i read this, but where is AKAIOand why does one use AKAIO?

"(CycloDS provides more gaming extras like RealTimeSave, RealTimeGuide, etc. whereas AKAIO has file manipulation, ie. cut, copy, paste, delete.)"

could you extrapolate please?

Thanks again.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Einherion said:
what sites do you trust. i read about where not to buy, but where is good to buy from?
now i have a hacked wii, so i know a bit about moving files and stuff...just never heard of AKAIotill today.

http://www.acekard.com/product.php?type=ak2

i read this, but where is AKAIOand why does one use AKAIO?

"(CycloDS provides more gaming extras like RealTimeSave, RealTimeGuide, etc. whereas AKAIO has file manipulation, ie. cut, copy, paste, delete.)"

could you extrapolate please?

Thanks again.
The best site to trust is obviously shoptemp (if you use shoptemp, use the link in my siggy, the 'Click Here for a Magic Trick' link, because I am obviously aiming for whatever those shoptemp point things are...and they are pretty decent vendors, I ordered an acekard2i and ds housing from them xD).

As for what AKAIO is, its a third-party acekard firmware that stands for AceKard-All-In-One. They usually have one of the highest compatibility rates (worked the best on HGSS when it was first released even). The main reason people use AKAIO is because it has extra features that the Official firmware doesn't have, it has a very high compatibility rate, the team is fast at updating, and it is fairly simple to maintain (even has the ability to update certain files via wifi).

To keep it short, CycloDS has gaming functions like the two I stated above, RTS & RTG (though the RTG option is not available at the moment, it probably will be in the future), along with SlowMotion (apart from that I never really looked at what else CycloDS Evo has).

On the other hand, AKAIO has the four options stated above, cut/copy/paste/delete, the ability to update certain files that have the latest fixes for games via wifi, the ability to have a favorites list (shortcuts anyway), rom trimming, changing save format (usually on autodetect though), the ability to use the official loader as well as the akaio loader for rom loading, and a fair list of other things viewable at the akaio wiki (not enough time here to say them all xD), but doesn't have the RTS, RTG, SlowMotion.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO

Einherion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OKay i think i have made my decision. i would like to ask you which you use though. i am aiming at the acekard since this is not the first time i have heard of them and the HGSS thing is choice. Thanks a lot for helping a little noob with all of this.
now to get the card. AND they are out of stock with a ETA unknown for restocking. Guess ill have to keep an eye on it unless you have any other suggestions.

also i assume i get the 2.1 acekard?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Between acekard 2.1 and acekard2i I don't think there is any difference apart from one having DSi compatibility (especially once AKAIO 1.6RC3 comes out, since both can use AKAIO). It doesn't really matter that much between the two unless you plan to buy a DSi later on. In any case, its your call if you want to save the two dollars or not xD.

Einherion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO 1.6RC3

is that a firmware or hardware?
and where else do you suggest i buy from, the link you provided was out of stock. sadly ( i may get a R4 till i can get a Acekard in stock)

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, even using a DS/DS Lite, you might as well get a DSi cart. Not only the fact that you may upgrade, but just because it's newer, and probably has less flaws.

Basically, I would just recommend the Acekard2i (With Akaio), just because it's common, easy to use, and works fine. The only problem is a ton of fake carts. I've ordered several from a few different websites, and all were real, so I don't really know how many are fake.

If you don't want an Acekard because everyone else has them, just go with the M3i or R4i. I don't really know the differences, but from what I've heard, the M3i is better.

Pretty much, it doesn't really matter. Once you run the ROM from the cart, it doesn't matter which cart you have (Unless it runs it shitty).

Jemlee

Trophies
Website
www.arwingnet.co.cc
XP
Country
Einherion said:
AKAIO 1.6RC3

and where else do you suggest i buy from, the link you provided was out of stock. sadly ( i may get a R4 till i can get a Acekard in stock)

This is a firmware, as for suggestions, you can try shoptemp or ndscardsale.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Einherion said:
AKAIO 1.6RC3
AKAIO 1.6RC3 is the next firmware release of AKAIO and pretty much is just AKAIO version 1.6 release candidate 3 (current release candidate is 2). As for places you can buy from, the first page has a couple of other retailers that you can look at, though shoptemp is one of the cheapest price-wise.

QUOTE(awssk8er @ May 14 2010, 08:15 PM) In my opinion, even using a DS/DS Lite, you might as well get a DSi cart. Not only the fact that you may upgrade, but just because it's newer, and probably has less flaws.
I agree with your opinion, although its just because if there is ever a time where I only have a DSi for use, then I still can use my acekard =D.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
In my opinion, even using a DS/DS Lite, you might as well get a DSi cart. Not only the fact that you may upgrade, but just because it's newer, and probably has less flaws.

Basically, I would just recommend the Acekard2i (With Akaio), just because it's common, easy to use, and works fine. The only problem is a ton of fake carts. I've ordered several from a few different websites, and all were real, so I don't really know how many are fake.

If you don't want an Acekard because everyone else has them, just go with the M3i or R4i. I don't really know the differences, but from what I've heard, the M3i is better.

Pretty much, it doesn't really matter. Once you run the ROM from the cart, it doesn't matter which cart you have (Unless it runs it shitty).

Yes that is somewhat true, but there are flashcarts that aren't in DSi form (original R4, CycloDS). Plus DSi versions of flashcarts can be a little more expensive.

The statement about the M3i being the best is argueable, everyone has their opinion (I think it used to be as good as the Acekard, but now the support has fallen a bit).

Also there's other things besides just playing games. There's cheat support, AP fixes, RTS, RTG, Slow-Motion, Soft-Reset, homebrew support, media support, etc.

EDIT:

QUOTE(Einherion @ May 15 2010, 02:30 AM) nsdscardsale is on the no no list.

Why do you say that? There's quite a few people who have ordered from them and had their orders successfully shipped.

Einherion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought i read on the forum of sites to not go to that nsdscardsale was a no no. idk, ive decided to go with Real hot stuff since they are an official dealer of acekard as shown on the acekard website.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER