Hacking The "Which flashcart to get?" Info Thread

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
3,353
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Where intellect matters
Website
Visit site
XP
256
Country
United States
<!--coloro:#4B0082--><span style="color:#4B0082"><!--/coloro--><div align='center'><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->The "Which flashcart should I get?" Information Thread<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<sub>The whole "Which one should I get?" or "Which one is the best" thing is getting very old. I see atleast 3 of those threads pop up everyday.</sub></div>


<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Common Flashcart Info<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Acekard<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Homebrew SoftReset</li><li>Wii to DS Connectivity</li><li>100% Rom Compatibility (95% of the time <img src="style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )</li><li>Wireless Firmware Updating</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Very quick updates</li><li>Fast team</li><li>Updateable kernel (to bypass DSi flashcart blocks)</li><li>Super cheap on most sites ($10-$20)</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>Best firmware is supported by unofficial team (which could stop support at anytime if they want)</li><li>No Real Time Save support (slim chance of coming through update)</li><li>No Real Time Guide (slim chance of coming through update)</li><li>No Slow Motion(slim chance of coming through update)</li><li>Official team doesn't do much (might start back up if unofficial team stops)</li><li>No way to update boot kernel via hardware (which means you need to run your Acekard to update it, so if it's already blocked you need a DS/DSi that'll work with it).</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
Most of these awesome features are for the unofficial firmware AKAIO. AKAIO is supported by 2 coders that (as stated before) are not part of the official Acekard team. They have said if someone cracks AKAIO again they'll just outright stop updating. The updates for AKAIO are more for the rom compatibility and not actual features. You don't get newer features as often as other flashcarts.

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Support DSi, DSL, IDSL, DS and IDS</li><li>Perfect Compatibility. No need to convert, No need to flash.</li><li>Write save file directly to TF card. No more save type selection.</li><li>Auto patching DLDI. Run homebrew programs without convert.</li><li>Support Soft-Reset. Support Download play. Support Wi-Fi.</li><li>Support microSD and microSDHC microSD card. No maximum file limit.</li><li>Support Action Replay. Built-in editor.</li><li>Low power consumption. Long playing time.</li><li>Easy operation. Support pad and touch screen control.</li><li>Multi-languages. Support Customize Skin.</li><li>Support launch slot-2. Support expand package.</li><li>4 level brightness adjustment.</li><li>Support reading text files, listening mp3 and watching movie</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->CycloDS Evolution<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Real Time Save (like save states for emulators), Real Time Guide (in game guide viewing), and other goodies.</li><li>Somewhat quick updates (lots of betas before full releases)</li><li>Awesome build quality</li><li>Clean rom launching mode (sometimes ups compatibility for games)</li><li>Wii to DS connectivity</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Has a awesome sturdy build quality</li><li>Fairly good rom compatibility</li><li>Real Time Save (like save states for emulators), Real Time Guide (in game guide viewing), and other goodies</li><li>Has a lot of different things that make the cart special</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>No DSi compatible version (use the iEDGE)</li><li>Has the worst fanboys <img src="style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> </li><li>Costs $40+</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
This flashcart used to be hailed as the best flashcart ever, but now some flashcarts are catching up and it's not looking like the best in comparison anymore. It's probably a good cart if you're on the DS Lite/Phat (but not the absolute best). The Cyclo also has a clone flashcart that is somewhat cheaper and actual compatibility updates (unlike most clones). It's called the iEDGE, and while it doesn't have all the features the Cyclo does it's still pretty good. (it also has DSi support)

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Completely plug & play - no FlashMe, PassMe or PC software required</li><li>100% game compatibility, supports clean ROM's - works on any OS</li><li>Full NDS download play support, including problem games such as Mario Kart DS</li><li>Action Replay compatible cheat code engine, comes bundled with cheat codes for over 300 games!</li><li>Uses MicroSD card, both FAT16 and FAT32 supported</li><li>Supports the MicroSDHC specification, allowing for high capacity memory cards</li><li>Save type is automatically detected, no need for a save type database</li><li>Save directly to MicroSD rather than onboard flash</li><li>User friendly, easily skinnable interface. Both touch screen and button operation supported</li><li>Multi-lingual user interface</li><li>"Enhanced Mode" which provides powerful, unique features during game play. Enhanced features are activated through an in-game menu. Enhanced mode features include:<ul><li>Adjust LCD brightness during game play (NDSLite only)</li><li>SlowMotion mode which can be used to slow down game play to make fast paced action sequences easier to master</li><li>Return to CycloDS Evolution Menu (aka soft reset)</li><li>More features to come!</li></ul></li><li>Excellent homebrew compatibility thanks to the DLDI auto-patcher</li><li>2 megabytes of onboard flash memory which contains the CycloDS Evolution OS and will be utilised in the future to add exciting new features. A recovery mode is also included.</li><li>Autoboot mode which when activated will directly boot into the last ROM or homebrew application executed</li><li>Moonshell included to provide media playing functionality</li><li>PassMe function (boot from slot 2)</li><li>Supports rumble and memory expansions</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->EZ Flash Vi<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Real Time Save (like save states for emulators), Real Time Guide (in game guide viewing), and other goodies.</li><li>Somewhat good support/update</li><li>Somewhat good build quality</li><li>Good menu</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Real Time Save (like save states for emulators), Real Time Guide (in game guide viewing), and other goodies.</li><li>Somewhat good support/update</li><li>Somewhat good build quality</li><li>Good menu</li><li>Side loading microsd slot</li><li>Clean rom launching mode (sometimes ups compatibility for games)</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>Update speed varies</li><li>Homebrew compatibility isn't the best</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
A lot of people might have to agree with me when I say the EZ Flash Vi is pretty underrated. If you find one for a low price, it might be a good idea to go ahead and grab one.

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Supports MicroSDHC cards up to 32GB</li><li>Slot1 design</li><li>Cleanrom support</li><li>Cheat function</li><li>Softreset function</li><li>Realtime save function</li><li>Realtime guide function</li><li>Video playback</li><li>MP3 music playback</li><li>Textbook reading</li><li>Homebrew support</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->iPlayer<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Great media support (.avi, .rmvb, .mov, DIVX, MPEG, .flv, .3gp, ASF and .wmv)</li><li>GBA emulation without need of slot-2 device</li><li>Good homebrew support</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Great media support (.avi, .rmvb, .mov, DIVX, MPEG, .flv, .3gp, ASF and .wmv)</li><li>GBA emulation without need of slot-2 device</li><li>Good homebrew support</li><li>Good build quality</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>No NDS rom support whatsoever</li><li>Can be pretty pricey</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
The iPlayer has a built in processor that allows it to play the GBA roms on it (the emulator is unofficial).

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->M3i Zero<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Lots of different firmwares (has a 3 in 1 official firmware setup, and a 6 way firmware that's unofficial)</li><li>Somewhat frequent and reliable compatibility/feature updates</li><li>Real Time Save (like save states for emulators), Real Time Guide (in game guide viewing), and Slow Motion (slowing down games while playing them)</li><li>Hardware boot kernel updating (meaning it can update itself without the need for a DS to run it, so if you already updated to a version that blocks it you can update it to work)</li><li>Supports the M3 GBA expansion pack which has pretty good compatibility and cool features like RTS.</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Many choices for firmwares</li><li>Sakura (basically like moonshell 2 but has different features) is sexy and enjoyable</li><li>Updateable kernel (to bypass DSi flashcart blocks)</li><li>Somewhat good updates (that actually add features like deleting files on microsd from menu, global RTS/RTG settings, etc.)</li><li>Sakura has a lot of built in media playing features, play videos, music straight from firmware. View text/pictures as well. You also have a boot menu that says last 5 roms played, and a program that runs at startup that will quickly scan your microsd to make sure it isn't corrupt (sometimes handy, sometimes annoying).</li><li>Side loading microsd slot</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>Update speed varies quite a bit</li><li>Support isn't always the best</li><li>Hardware updating method isn't the best, it has a USB updating cable and on the side that goes in the USB is a very thin connector that may break easily)</li><li>Homebrew support varies from firmware to firmware</li><li>Firmwares don't get updated all at once (maybe one now, one later, one way later). They sometimes update all at once.</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
The M3i Zero is said to be more the "extras" flashcart. If you want to view media and use things like RTS and RTG get this flashcart. The rom compatibility isn't 100% like the acekard, but you'll always get a update eventually (might be a week late, though).

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Compatible with DS, DSl & DSi.</li><li>100% game compatibility.</li><li>Supports Real Time Save function.</li><li>Supports Multi-Language System.</li><li>Continue to update & frequency enhance software/firmware.</li><li>Supports micro SDHC.</li><li>Extreme simple to use, just plug & play.</li><li>Super Cheat Function<ul><li>Fully AR Cheat Code Compatible engine.</li><li>Supports reading individual cheat code files too (xml, cht, dht, dat-R4 format).</li></ul></li><li>Supports software reset function.</li><li>Supports slow motion feature.</li><li>Automatically detect and generate game save file.</li><li>Excellent homebrew support, DLDI auto-patcher.</li><li>Robust & skinnable GUI</li><li>Built-in PassMe</li><li>Supports download play.</li><li>Supports rumble pack, GBA expansion & DS Browser.</li><li>Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment.</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->SupercardDSOnei<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Real Time Everything (Real Time Save, Real Time Guide, Real Time Cheats)</li><li>Clean rom launching mode (sometimes ups compatibility for games)</li><li>Hardware boot kernel updating (meaning it can update itself without the need for a DS to run it, so if you already updated to a version that blocks it you can update it to work)</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Somewhat unique EOS firmware. Can do things like skin the RTS menu.</li><li>Fairly good rom compatibility</li><li>Real Time Everything (Real Time Save, Real Time Guide, Real Time Cheats)</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>Update speed isn't the best</li><li>Boot Kernel Updating can take 15+ minutes</li><li>Possibility of being phased out by SupercardDSTwo</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
The SupercardDSOnei isn't really suggested too much to people. It's by no means a bad flashcart, it's just not "THE BEST CART EVAH!". Plus the SupercarDSOnei's older brother, the SupercardDSTwo, is coming out in a month, and it'd be silly to not get it instead.

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Support DSi, DSL, IDSL, DS and IDS</li><li>Perfect Compatibility. No need to convert, No need to flash.</li><li>Write save file directly to TF card. No more save type selection.</li><li>Auto patching DLDI. Run homebrew programs without convert.</li><li>Support Soft-Reset. Support Download play. Support Wi-Fi.</li><li>Support microSD and microSDHC microSD card. No maximum file limit.</li><li>Support Action Replay. Built-in editor.</li><li>Low power consumption. Long playing time.</li><li>Easy operation. Support pad and touch screen control.</li><li>Multi-languages. Support Customize Skin.</li><li>Support launch slot-2. Support expand package.</li><li>4 level brightness adjustment.</li><li>Support reading text files, listening mp3 and watching movie</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->SupercardDSTwo<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Major Features:</b><ul><li>Real Time Menu (Real Time Save, Real Time Guide, Real Time Cheats, Slow Motion, Free Cheat, Cheats all packed into one menu)</li><li>Clean rom launching mode (sometimes ups compatibility for games)</li><li>Hardware boot kernel updating (meaning it can update itself without the need for a DS to run it, so if you already updated to a version that blocks it you can update it to work)</li><li>GBA emulation <b>without</b> the need of a slot-2 expansion (gba emulation on DSi!)</li><li>Ability to make cheats while on DSTwo (Free Cheat)</li><li>SNES emulator</li><li>DIVX playback</li><li>PDF/TXT/Image Reader (iReader)</li></ul><b>Pros:</b><ul><li>Somewhat unique EOS firmware. Can do things like skin the RTS menu.</li><li>Fairly good rom compatibility</li><li>Real Time Menu (Real Time Save, Real Time Guide, Real Time Cheats, Slow Motion, Free Cheat, Cheats all packed into one menu)</li><li>GBA emulation without slot-2 expansion, and better SNES emulation</li><li>Faster RTS saving/loading time and being able to name RTS saves</li><li>Plugin menu which allows quick access to useful homebrew</li><li>A SDK will allow for people to make their own homebrew taking advantage of the DSTwo's built in processor</li><li>Contains many perks that AKAIO has (multiple sav files per rom, copy/cut/paste/delete, etc.)</li><li>DIVX Playback</li></ul><b>Cons:</b><ul><li>Doesn't fit very well into DSi (it's even worse than carts such as the M3 which cause just a little conflict)</li><li>May cause battery life to drop because of the built in processor</li></ul><b>Other Notes:</b>
Probably one of the most hyped flashcarts ever. It has a built in processor allowing it to do things normal flashcarts can't. The DSTwo is heavily based off the iPlayer flashcart (same amount/placement of teeth on contacts, etc.). The DSTwo's EOS menu is also quite similar to AKAIO with it's start menu and having the ability to cut/copy/paste/delete files.

<b>Official Feature List:</b><ul><li>Real time functions: real-time save, real-time game guide (txt, bmp, jpg), and real-time cheat.</li><li>Multi-saves (up to 4 slots), easy to back-up and restore saves.</li><li>Unlimited microSD storage space support. SDHC support. FAT or FAT 32.</li><li>Multiple languages.</li><li>Built-in GBA/SNES Emulator.</li><li>Action slow motion (4 levels).</li><li>File management system (copy, paste, cut, and delete). Long file name support.</li><li>E-book in .BMP, .JPEG, .JPG, .PNG, .TIF, .GIF, .TXT, and .PDF formats.</li></ul>

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Common Questions<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which R4 should I get!? There's so many!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Some may argue that the R4 should be bought again because of the release of Wood R4. It's honestly debatable, but I think it's a no. The R4 doesn't support microSDHC cards, nor does it work on the DSi. The build quality isn't the best thing in the world either. If you do get an R4 make sure it's the original R4 or an exact clone of the original R4.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which should I get? Acekard2i or M3i Zero?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Both are good. If you just want to game and want your games real fast go with Acekard. If you like extras get the M3i Zero so you can do things like RTS and RTG.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Will there ever be a CycloDSi flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: There was a video of one made a long while ago, but there have been no official announcements as of yet.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Will the CycloDSi flashcart have access to DSi Mode when it comes out (since Team Cyclops are such uber hackers)?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Most likely no. Team Cyclops only took a bunch of already made features and some other small, but cool, features and made a flashcart from it. So basically, I wouldn't count on it.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: What's the best flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Is really based on opinion, I'd use the <a href="#P1">information part</a> of this thread to decide.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which flashcart should I get for the DSi XL/What flashcart work on the DSi XL?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: <b>Any flashcart that works on the DSi works on the DSi XL!</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which flashcart out there will let me played backed up DSi games and DSiWare games?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: None. Wait for the DSi to be hacked.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Should I wait for the DSTwo?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Sure, but only if you're willing to pay the $35-$40 price tag. The features for NDS game playing are great, and the GBA emulator does work. However a lot of other features that were anticipated haven't been included yet (SNES emulator, DIVX playback, etc.).<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Where should I buy X flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: 0shippingzone, gamekool, 4coolday, these are all good places for your flashcart needs.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: XXX vs. XXX?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Please just refer to the general info section and base your decision on that. With XXX vs. XXX threads, most of the time you just get people voting for whatever flashcart they have. It'd also be helpful to look up review on the flashcart.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: How much does X cart cost on average?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Generally flashcarts are in the $20-$40 range. In the CycloDS's case it can be more, and in the Acekard's case it can be less. Just search around on good sites for good prices.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Known Clones<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<ol type='i'><li><b>Acekard</b>
<ul><li>DS Fire 2</li><li>R4 Ultra (part R4 clone, part acekard RPG clone)</li><li>(Probably More)</li></ul>
</li><li><b>CycloDS</b>
<ul><li>(i)EDGE (It's by no means bad, though. It's actually a good alternative that just gets less frequent updates)</li></ul>
</li><li><b>DSTT</b>
[title:DSTT Clones]<ul><li>CNDSTT</li><li>DSTT Advance</li><li>M3 Adaptes/Adaptador (hardware/loader wise)</li><li>Ncard 2</li><li>R4i Upgrade (hardware/loader wise)</li><li>R4X (hardware/loader wise)</li><li>TTi Upgrade</li><li>U2DS</li><li>(Probably More)</li></ul>
</li><li><b>EZ Flash Vi</b>
<ul><li>Hyper R4i (hardware/loader wise)</li><li>(Probably More)</li></ul>
</li><li><b>M3</b>
<ul><li>M3 Adaptador/Adaptes</li><li>M3i SDHC</li><li>M3i Upgrade</li></ul>
</li><li><b>R4</b>
<ul><li>Regular "R4 XXX" Clones<ul><li>R4 Advance</li><li>R4 Deluxe</li><li>R4 New</li><li>R4 Plus</li><li>R4 Pro</li><li>R4 RTS</li><li>R4 Top</li><li>R4 Ultra</li><li>R4DS SDHC</li><li>R4-Pro</li><li>R4-II</li><li>R4-III SDHC</li><li>R4-III Upgrade</li></ul></li><li>DSi Compatible R4 Clones (not necessarily 1.4 workable)<ul><li>R4i (the original R4i clone, the one that bypassed the 1.4 update first)</li><li>R4i Best</li><li>R4i Gold</li><li>R4 i.L.S</li><li>R4i Neo</li><li>R4i NDSill</li><li>R4i SDHC</li><li>R4i Platinum</li><li>R4i Pocket</li><li>R4i Pro Upgrade</li><li>R4i Red</li><li>R4i Upgrade</li><li>R4i-II</li><li>R4i-Redant</li><li>R4-v (R4i but with 2 different types: red and green colored flashcarts)</li><li>R4ds-i</li><li>R4X</li><li>Super R4i</li></ul></li><li>M3 Simply (not technically a clone, but it's pretty much dead anyways)</li><li>MARS</li><li>N5<ul><li>E7</li><li>ND1</li></ul></li><li>NPlayer</li><li>R4i RTS/R4i SDHC (M3 Supported, get's regular updates by the M3 Team. It's an "official" R4 flashcart, not a clone)</li><li>(Probably More)</li></ul>
</li></ol><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Useful Links<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<div align='center'><ul><li><a href="http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/" target="_blank">Linfox Domain</a> - Big list of clones, and has a link to almost every flashcart software </li><li><a href="http://www.0shippingzone.com/" target="_blank">0ShippingZone</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://4coolday.com/" target="_blank">4coolday</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://gamekool.com/" target="_blank">Gamekool</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://shoptemp.com/" target="_blank">Shoptemp</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://%5bcensored%5d.com/" target="_blank">[censored]</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://realhotstuff.com/" target="_blank">Realhotstuff</a> - Good US based retailer</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169327" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Blacklisted Retailer Topic</a> - Never buy from the site listed here!!!</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33039" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Good Retailer Topic</a> - Big list of good retailers you can buy from</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=99" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Review Center</a> - Has a lot of useful flashcart reviews</li><li><a href="http://dsdatabase.org/" target="_blank">DSDatabase</a> - Flashcart reviewing site, has a lot of different flashcart reviews</li></ul></div>
 
  • Like
Reactions: Margen67

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
3,447
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Middle of the ocean.
Website
Visit site
XP
190
Country
United States
Hey the EDGE is a very good clone.
tongue.gif

You need a section for an EZ Flash Vi.
There is no point of putting the SCDS2 since you can't even buy it.
Who actually took 15 minutes to update the SCDS1i? I only took 8.
tongue.gif
 

rockstar99

Hi
Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
7,372
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Toronto
XP
733
Country
Canada
Nice guide Delta this is a great way for noobs to see the features they want and narrow down their choices to a single cart
biggrin.gif


+1 for Sticky!
 

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
3,353
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Where intellect matters
Website
Visit site
XP
256
Country
United States
BoxShot said:
Hey the EDGE is a very good clone.
tongue.gif

You need a section for an EZ Flash Vi.
There is no point of putting the SCDS2 since you can't even buy it.
Who actually took 15 minutes to update the SCDS1i? I only took 8.
tongue.gif


1. Yah, I meant to mention that (3:30 AM xD)
2. I was more trying to get in all the major flashcarts. I'll look up info on the EZ Flash Vi, though, and add it to the main post.
3. Yah but a lot of people mention it
4. That's based on PharoahsVizier's blog about all the different flashcart DSi updates.

QUOTE(Rockstar @ Mar 28 2010, 03:37 AM) Nice guide Delta this is a great way for noobs to see the features they want and narrow down their choices to a single cart
biggrin.gif


+1 for Sticky!

Thanks
biggrin.gif
 

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
3,447
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Middle of the ocean.
Website
Visit site
XP
190
Country
United States
Here's some.

Ez Flash Vi.
+Real Time Guide
+Real Time Save
+Evolution menu thing
tongue.gif
(Well you know how the cyclo has everything in one menu)
+Good Support
+Side loading
+Good build (according to PV
tongue.gif
)
-Needs to boot to flash itself
-Firmware is in RC (debatable con)
-support update varies
-not the best with homebrew (how bad I don't know so debatable)
 

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Member
GBAtemp Patron
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
4,453
Trophies
0
Location
Pantsuland
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
1,999
Country
United States
I think there should be another side added to this (a small thing, but it could make the difference for some people I guess).
Moonshell2 is out there and a fairly viable alternative to the M3Sakura's GUI if that is one of the main reasons for buying the M3Real/M3iZero. So technically, as long as there is someone willing to make a extlink loader (or if there is ysmenu support), there isn't quite as much persuasiveness having the Sakura GUI (not that I think the M3 is bad, I just think Moonshell2 is better xD). The only plus of the Sakura GUI is the slide to open and the ability to run commercial roms...on the other hand, you can do more things with Moonshell2 anyways (Mwahahaha I'm a Moonshell2 supporter to the core).

Pretty much, I think you should mention that although the M3 has Sakura, almost everyone can have Moonshell2, thus just because there is Sakura doesn't mean you have to get it.
 

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
3,353
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Where intellect matters
Website
Visit site
XP
256
Country
United States
BoxShot said:
Here's some.

Ez Flash Vi.
+Real Time Guide
+Real Time Save
+Evolution menu thing
tongue.gif
(Well you know how the cyclo has everything in one menu)
+Good Support
+Side loading
+Good build (according to PV
tongue.gif
)
-Needs to boot to flash itself
-Firmware is in RC (debatable con)
-support update varies
-not the best with homebrew (how bad I don't know so debatable)

Thanks, I'll add that.

QUOTE(jurassicplayer @ Mar 28 2010, 03:59 AM) I think there should be another side added to this (a small thing, but it could make the difference for some people I guess).
Moonshell2 is out there and a fairly viable alternative to the M3Sakura's GUI if that is one of the main reasons for buying the M3Real/M3iZero. So technically, as long as there is someone willing to make a extlink loader (or if there is ysmenu support), there isn't quite as much persuasiveness having the Sakura GUI (not that I think the M3 is bad, I just think Moonshell2 is better xD). The only plus of the Sakura GUI is the slide to open and the ability to run commercial roms...on the other hand, you can do more things with Moonshell2 anyways (Mwahahaha I'm a Moonshell2 supporter to the core).

Pretty much, I think you should mention that although the M3 has Sakura, almost everyone can have Moonshell2, thus just because there is Sakura doesn't mean you have to get it.

Yah but Sakura also has quite a bit a features moonshell doesn't have either. (I'm not 100% sure on these) Swapping screens that a video is playing on, deleting files on your microsd in the menu, auto disk check, last 5 recently run list (and applications list). There's also rom booting stuff like RTG, RTS, Global Settings, Slow Motion, Backing up of RTS saves, etc.
 

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
4,344
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
New York City
XP
240
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
BoxShot said:
Here's some.

Ez Flash Vi.
+Real Time Guide
+Real Time Save
+Evolution menu thing
tongue.gif
(Well you know how the cyclo has everything in one menu)
+Good Support
+Side loading
+Good build (according to PV
tongue.gif
)
-Needs to boot to flash itself
-Firmware is in RC (debatable con)
-support update varies
-not the best with homebrew (how bad I don't know so debatable)

Thanks, I'll add that.

QUOTE(jurassicplayer @ Mar 28 2010, 03:59 AM) I think there should be another side added to this (a small thing, but it could make the difference for some people I guess).
Moonshell2 is out there and a fairly viable alternative to the M3Sakura's GUI if that is one of the main reasons for buying the M3Real/M3iZero. So technically, as long as there is someone willing to make a extlink loader (or if there is ysmenu support), there isn't quite as much persuasiveness having the Sakura GUI (not that I think the M3 is bad, I just think Moonshell2 is better xD). The only plus of the Sakura GUI is the slide to open and the ability to run commercial roms...on the other hand, you can do more things with Moonshell2 anyways (Mwahahaha I'm a Moonshell2 supporter to the core).

Pretty much, I think you should mention that although the M3 has Sakura, almost everyone can have Moonshell2, thus just because there is Sakura doesn't mean you have to get it.

Yah but Sakura also has quite a bit a features moonshell doesn't have either. (I'm not 100% sure on these) Swapping screens that a video is playing on, deleting files on your microsd in the menu, auto disk check, last 5 recently run list (and applications list). There's also rom booting stuff like RTG, RTS, Global Settings, Slow Motion, Backing up of RTS saves, etc.
Actually Moonshell 2 has auto disk check, deleting files on your MicroSD in the menu, last 5 recent run list, application list.

Also for M3 Zero/Real add Support for M3 GBA Expansion pack, as a pro. And add poor homebrew support as a CON. And for Acekard add support for EZ-Flash 3in1 built in as a pro. And nothing as a con for Acekard.
 

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
3,353
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Where intellect matters
Website
Visit site
XP
256
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
Also for M3 Zero/Real add Support for M3 GBA Expansion pack, as a pro. And add poor homebrew support as a CON. And for Acekard add support for EZ-Flash 3in1 built in as a pro. And nothing as a con for Acekard.

EZ Flash 3in1 isn't really a pro, almost all flashcarts can use it with gbaexploader.

Plus, Sakura's homebrew support isn't even that bad lately. It also gets better if you use it in conjunction with DSKiosk.
 

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
4,344
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
New York City
XP
240
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Jakob95 said:
Also for M3 Zero/Real add Support for M3 GBA Expansion pack, as a pro. And add poor homebrew support as a CON. And for Acekard add support for EZ-Flash 3in1 built in as a pro. And nothing as a con for Acekard.

EZ Flash 3in1 isn't really a pro, almost all flashcarts can use it with gbaexploader.

Plus, Sakura's homebrew support isn't even that bad lately. It also gets better if you use it in conjunction with DSKiosk.
Yes but AKAIO could run the GBA games straight through the menu, no need to run GBAexploder.
 

rockstar99

Hi
Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
7,372
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Toronto
XP
733
Country
Canada
Jakob95 said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Jakob95 said:
Also for M3 Zero/Real add Support for M3 GBA Expansion pack, as a pro. And add poor homebrew support as a CON. And for Acekard add support for EZ-Flash 3in1 built in as a pro. And nothing as a con for Acekard.

EZ Flash 3in1 isn't really a pro, almost all flashcarts can use it with gbaexploader.

Plus, Sakura's homebrew support isn't even that bad lately. It also gets better if you use it in conjunction with DSKiosk.
Yes but AKAIO could run the GBA games straight through the menu, no need to run GBAexploder.
So can EZ FLash V, Cyclo and EDGE
 

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
7,527
Trophies
0
Location
Gallifrey
XP
1,261
Country
United Kingdom
If anything, Acekard has more fanboys than CycloDS...
rolleyes.gif

Also, CycloDS has more than just "fairly good" compatibility.

Not that I want people labelling me as a fanboy just because of this post.
 

tKo HaXoR

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
339
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
135
Country
United States
iEDGE

tKo HaXoR said:
It is very easy to use and the menus are very easy to navigate.

- Works with 1.4 DSi firmware and can be updated to work with future DSi firmwares.
- Adding and changing skins is very easy.
- Updating your cheat file is very easy.
- Thanks to update 1.9 HG/SS both work without freezing unlike all the R4 clones that are going around.
- It might be a Cyclo DS knock off, but its a solid flash cart.
- Very clean file system (If you hide files from Windows on your SD card, they wont show up on your game selection screen such as the moonshell2 folder)

I recommend it. Its less than 20 dollars and the best thing about it is the build quality. Very good materials used to make it. About 99% Game compatibility and nice packaging.

It is one of my favorite flash carts. (Apart from Acekard 2i with AKAIO.)
 

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Member
GBAtemp Patron
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
4,453
Trophies
0
Location
Pantsuland
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
1,999
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Yah but Sakura also has quite a bit a features moonshell doesn't have either. (I'm not 100% sure on these) Swapping screens that a video is playing on, deleting files on your microsd in the menu, auto disk check, last 5 recently run list (and applications list). There's also rom booting stuff like RTG, RTS, Global Settings, Slow Motion, Backing up of RTS saves, etc.

I'm not sure about MS2 being able to swap screens for the video (I remember someone saying that they couldn't figure out how, but I haven't been able to look for an option like that), but like Jakob said, "Deleting" files on the microSD menu is there (it just moves the file to the dustbox, but I find that with another app like DSOrganize, its a fairly simple process to complete), checkdisk has always been there xD, along with the apps & history pages. Some things that MS2 has as a plus over M3Sakura is the extlink integrated stuff.
(Seeing as this might be cool information for some people, I'm separating it from the rest xD)

MS2 has:
-Can view .ipk files, and I think there is also a thumbnail of the file but I haven't used it in a long time, so I might be wrong.
-Can modify text files (by highlighting a .txt file and holding the A button for a short while).
-Includes a voice recorder that was added recently, but I think it may be possible to use that without moonshell2 (its in the launch folder).
-Includes MoonMemo which is like a scribble notepad (I personally don't use this very much, but its nice to have xD).
-The opening splash is customizable, which is always fun to have.
-Has smooth scrolling while reading txt (I'm not sure if M3Sakura has this or not...I think this option came after Moonlight restarted on MS2 but I just can't remember xD)
-An "Exit to Firmware" option in the main menu (this would be pointless to have in the M3Sakura anyways xD)
-Has .dpg4 support (obviously)
-Has the option to swap the pause/play button in the video player (since it was "reversed" originally)
-Execute certain file types natively thanks to extlinks (.nes, .neo, .smc, "tunavid".avi, .gba provided there is the slot-2)
-BG packs that swap the background randomly from the set of wallpapers compiled into the bgpack.dat after a set number of minutes.
-A simpler incorporation of the sound effects (in MS2 its one file as opposed to seven)
-Option to show/hide certain attributed files (hidden/readonly/archive/system)

M3Sakura has:
-Commercial rom loading and the stuff that go with it (cheats, RTS, RTG, slow motion, etc.)
-Global settings (I have no idea what they consist of, since everyone just refers to them as the global settings. If someone could tell me...that would be nice xD)
-Slide to open
-Swapping video playback screens
-Has .dpg3 support (I remember this one had strange compatibility issues that every other .dpg didn't)
-Auto-dldi patching
-Better homebrew support (maybe...since I haven't really tried Moonlight's included loaders...I just used ysloader since I knew it worked with the stuff I use)
-The placement of the stop and allrep/shuffle/repeat buttons on the video player are centered to make a nice trapezoid rather than Moonshell2's alignment (stop button directly under the play/pause button and the allrep/etc. shifted to incorporate that change)

These are all the differences I can remember at the moment about the two. Overall, I would say MS2 has greater potential because of the extlinks, but unfortunately there aren't very many people that make the extlinks.
 

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
3,353
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Where intellect matters
Website
Visit site
XP
256
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Yah but Sakura also has quite a bit a features moonshell doesn't have either. (I'm not 100% sure on these) Swapping screens that a video is playing on, deleting files on your microsd in the menu, auto disk check, last 5 recently run list (and applications list). There's also rom booting stuff like RTG, RTS, Global Settings, Slow Motion, Backing up of RTS saves, etc.

I'm not sure about MS2 being able to swap screens for the video (I remember someone saying that they couldn't figure out how, but I haven't been able to look for an option like that), but like Jakob said, "Deleting" files on the microSD menu is there (it just moves the file to the dustbox, but I find that with another app like DSOrganize, its a fairly simple process to complete), checkdisk has always been there xD, along with the apps & history pages. Some things that MS2 has as a plus over M3Sakura is the extlink integrated stuff.
(Seeing as this might be cool information for some people, I'm separating it from the rest xD)

MS2 has:
-Can view .ipk files, and I think there is also a thumbnail of the file but I haven't used it in a long time, so I might be wrong.
-Can modify text files (by highlighting a .txt file and holding the A button for a short while).
-Includes a voice recorder that was added recently, but I think it may be possible to use that without moonshell2 (its in the launch folder).
-Includes MoonMemo which is like a scribble notepad (I personally don't use this very much, but its nice to have xD).
-The opening splash is customizable, which is always fun to have.
-Has smooth scrolling while reading txt (I'm not sure if M3Sakura has this or not...I think this option came after Moonlight restarted on MS2 but I just can't remember xD)
-An "Exit to Firmware" option in the main menu (this would be pointless to have in the M3Sakura anyways xD)
-Has .dpg4 support (obviously)
-Has the option to swap the pause/play button in the video player (since it was "reversed" originally)
-Execute certain file types natively thanks to extlinks (.nes, .neo, .smc, "tunavid".avi, .gba provided there is the slot-2)
-BG packs that swap the background randomly from the set of wallpapers compiled into the bgpack.dat after a set number of minutes.
-A simpler incorporation of the sound effects (in MS2 its one file as opposed to seven)
-Option to show/hide certain attributed files (hidden/readonly/archive/system)

M3Sakura has:
-Commercial rom loading and the stuff that go with it (cheats, RTS, RTG, slow motion, etc.)
-Global settings (I have no idea what they consist of, since everyone just refers to them as the global settings. If someone could tell me...that would be nice xD)
-Slide to open
-Swapping video playback screens
-Has .dpg3 support (I remember this one had strange compatibility issues that every other .dpg didn't)
-Auto-dldi patching
-Better homebrew support (maybe...since I haven't really tried Moonlight's included loaders...I just used ysloader since I knew it worked with the stuff I use)
-The placement of the stop and allrep/shuffle/repeat buttons on the video player are centered to make a nice trapezoid rather than Moonshell2's alignment (stop button directly under the play/pause button and the allrep/etc. shifted to incorporate that change)

These are all the differences I can remember at the moment about the two. Overall, I would say MS2 has greater potential because of the extlinks, but unfortunately there aren't very many people that make the extlinks.

Meh, I'd still rather have Sakura. Plus Sakura is still getting new features from M3.
 

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
4,344
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
New York City
XP
240
Country
United States
Thing is you can't compare Sakura and Moonshell a lot. Because you could run Moonshell on the M3 Zero but you can't run Sakura on any other flashcart. So M3 has the best off both worlds lmao. I still like Acekard 10x better though.
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Scott_pilgrim @ Scott_pilgrim: "i do indeed play osu" although lately ive been taking a bit of a break to play etterna