The "Which flashcart to get?" Info Thread

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DeltaBurnt, Mar 28, 2010.

Mar 28, 2010
  1. DeltaBurnt
    OP

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    <!--coloro:#4B0082--><span style="color:#4B0082"><!--/coloro--><div align='center'><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->The "Which flashcart should I get?" Information Thread<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<sub>The whole "Which one should I get?" or "Which one is the best" thing is getting very old. I see atleast 3 of those threads pop up everyday.</sub></div>

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Common Flashcart Info<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Acekard<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Acekard Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->CycloDS Evolution<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    CycloDS Evolution Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->EZ Flash Vi<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    EZ Flash Vi Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->iPlayer<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    iPlayer Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->M3i Zero<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    M3i Zero Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->SupercardDSOnei<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    SupercardDSOnei Info

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->SupercardDSTwo<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    SupercardDSTwo Info

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Common Questions<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which R4 should I get!? There's so many!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Some may argue that the R4 should be bought again because of the release of Wood R4. It's honestly debatable, but I think it's a no. The R4 doesn't support microSDHC cards, nor does it work on the DSi. The build quality isn't the best thing in the world either. If you do get an R4 make sure it's the original R4 or an exact clone of the original R4.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which should I get? Acekard2i or M3i Zero?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Both are good. If you just want to game and want your games real fast go with Acekard. If you like extras get the M3i Zero so you can do things like RTS and RTG.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Will there ever be a CycloDSi flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: There was a video of one made a long while ago, but there have been no official announcements as of yet.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Will the CycloDSi flashcart have access to DSi Mode when it comes out (since Team Cyclops are such uber hackers)?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Most likely no. Team Cyclops only took a bunch of already made features and some other small, but cool, features and made a flashcart from it. So basically, I wouldn't count on it.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: What's the best flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Is really based on opinion, I'd use the <a href="#P1">information part</a> of this thread to decide.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which flashcart should I get for the DSi XL/What flashcart work on the DSi XL?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: <b>Any flashcart that works on the DSi works on the DSi XL!</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Which flashcart out there will let me played backed up DSi games and DSiWare games?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: None. Wait for the DSi to be hacked.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Should I wait for the DSTwo?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Sure, but only if you're willing to pay the $35-$40 price tag. The features for NDS game playing are great, and the GBA emulator does work. However a lot of other features that were anticipated haven't been included yet (SNES emulator, DIVX playback, etc.).<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: Where should I buy X flashcart?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: 0shippingzone, gamekool, 4coolday, these are all good places for your flashcart needs.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: XXX vs. XXX?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Please just refer to the general info section and base your decision on that. With XXX vs. XXX threads, most of the time you just get people voting for whatever flashcart they have. It'd also be helpful to look up review on the flashcart.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Q: How much does X cart cost on average?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->A: Generally flashcarts are in the $20-$40 range. In the CycloDS's case it can be more, and in the Acekard's case it can be less. Just search around on good sites for good prices.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Known Clones<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
    <ol type='i'><li><b>Acekard</b>
    Acekard Clones
    </li><li><b>CycloDS</b>
    CycloDS Clones
    </li><li><b>DSTT</b>
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    </li><li><b>EZ Flash Vi</b>
    EZ Flash Vi Clones
    </li><li><b>M3</b>
    M3 Clones
    </li><li><b>R4</b>
    R4 Clones
    </li></ol><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Useful Links<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<div align='center'><ul><li><a href="http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/" target="_blank">Linfox Domain</a> - Big list of clones, and has a link to almost every flashcart software </li><li><a href="http://www.0shippingzone.com/" target="_blank">0ShippingZone</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://4coolday.com/" target="_blank">4coolday</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://gamekool.com/" target="_blank">Gamekool</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://shoptemp.com/" target="_blank">Shoptemp</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://%5bcensored%5d.com/" target="_blank">[censored]</a> - Good retailer</li><li><a href="http://realhotstuff.com/" target="_blank">Realhotstuff</a> - Good US based retailer</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169327" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Blacklisted Retailer Topic</a> - Never buy from the site listed here!!!</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33039" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Good Retailer Topic</a> - Big list of good retailers you can buy from</li><li><a href="http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=99" target="_blank">Gbatemp's Review Center</a> - Has a lot of useful flashcart reviews</li><li><a href="http://dsdatabase.org/" target="_blank">DSDatabase</a> - Flashcart reviewing site, has a lot of different flashcart reviews</li></ul></div>

Margen67 likes this.

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Hey the EDGE is a very good clone. [​IMG]
    You need a section for an EZ Flash Vi.
    There is no point of putting the SCDS2 since you can't even buy it.
    Who actually took 15 minutes to update the SCDS1i? I only took 8. [​IMG]

3. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Nice guide Delta this is a great way for noobs to see the features they want and narrow down their choices to a single cart [​IMG]

+1 for Sticky!

4. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Here's some.

Ez Flash Vi.
    +Real Time Guide
    +Real Time Save
    +Evolution menu thing [​IMG] (Well you know how the cyclo has everything in one menu)
    +Good Support
    +Side loading
    +Good build (according to PV [​IMG])
    -Needs to boot to flash itself
    -Firmware is in RC (debatable con)
    -support update varies
    -not the best with homebrew (how bad I don't know so debatable)

6. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I think there should be another side added to this (a small thing, but it could make the difference for some people I guess).
    Moonshell2 is out there and a fairly viable alternative to the M3Sakura's GUI if that is one of the main reasons for buying the M3Real/M3iZero. So technically, as long as there is someone willing to make a extlink loader (or if there is ysmenu support), there isn't quite as much persuasiveness having the Sakura GUI (not that I think the M3 is bad, I just think Moonshell2 is better xD). The only plus of the Sakura GUI is the slide to open and the ability to run commercial roms...on the other hand, you can do more things with Moonshell2 anyways (Mwahahaha I'm a Moonshell2 supporter to the core).

Pretty much, I think you should mention that although the M3 has Sakura, almost everyone can have Moonshell2, thus just because there is Sakura doesn't mean you have to get it.

7. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    Yah but Sakura also has quite a bit a features moonshell doesn't have either. (I'm not 100% sure on these) Swapping screens that a video is playing on, deleting files on your microsd in the menu, auto disk check, last 5 recently run list (and applications list). There's also rom booting stuff like RTG, RTS, Global Settings, Slow Motion, Backing up of RTS saves, etc.

8. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Actually Moonshell 2 has auto disk check, deleting files on your MicroSD in the menu, last 5 recent run list, application list.

Also for M3 Zero/Real add Support for M3 GBA Expansion pack, as a pro. And add poor homebrew support as a CON. And for Acekard add support for EZ-Flash 3in1 built in as a pro. And nothing as a con for Acekard.

9. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    EZ Flash 3in1 isn't really a pro, almost all flashcarts can use it with gbaexploader.

Plus, Sakura's homebrew support isn't even that bad lately. It also gets better if you use it in conjunction with DSKiosk.

10. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    I agree on stickying this. The Supercard DSONEi & EZ-Flash Vi are pretty underarted and the Acekard 2i is starting to get pissy fanboys.

11. Jakob95

United States
    Yes but AKAIO could run the GBA games straight through the menu, no need to run GBAexploder.

12. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    So can EZ FLash V, Cyclo and EDGE

13. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If anything, Acekard has more fanboys than CycloDS...[​IMG]
    Also, CycloDS has more than just "fairly good" compatibility.

Not that I want people labelling me as a fanboy just because of this post.

14. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    By fairly good I mean like 95% atleast.

Maybe I should change it to pretty good...

15. tKo HaXoR

Member tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

United States
    iEDGE

It is one of my favorite flash carts. (Apart from Acekard 2i with AKAIO.)

16. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    The clone list is vastly updated, I also added a useful links section.

17. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I'm not sure about MS2 being able to swap screens for the video (I remember someone saying that they couldn't figure out how, but I haven't been able to look for an option like that), but like Jakob said, "Deleting" files on the microSD menu is there (it just moves the file to the dustbox, but I find that with another app like DSOrganize, its a fairly simple process to complete), checkdisk has always been there xD, along with the apps & history pages. Some things that MS2 has as a plus over M3Sakura is the extlink integrated stuff.
    (Seeing as this might be cool information for some people, I'm separating it from the rest xD)

MS2 has:
    -Can view .ipk files, and I think there is also a thumbnail of the file but I haven't used it in a long time, so I might be wrong.
    -Can modify text files (by highlighting a .txt file and holding the A button for a short while).
    -Includes a voice recorder that was added recently, but I think it may be possible to use that without moonshell2 (its in the launch folder).
    -Includes MoonMemo which is like a scribble notepad (I personally don't use this very much, but its nice to have xD).
    -The opening splash is customizable, which is always fun to have.
    -Has smooth scrolling while reading txt (I'm not sure if M3Sakura has this or not...I think this option came after Moonlight restarted on MS2 but I just can't remember xD)
    -An "Exit to Firmware" option in the main menu (this would be pointless to have in the M3Sakura anyways xD)
    -Has .dpg4 support (obviously)
    -Has the option to swap the pause/play button in the video player (since it was "reversed" originally)
    -Execute certain file types natively thanks to extlinks (.nes, .neo, .smc, "tunavid".avi, .gba provided there is the slot-2)
    -BG packs that swap the background randomly from the set of wallpapers compiled into the bgpack.dat after a set number of minutes.
    -A simpler incorporation of the sound effects (in MS2 its one file as opposed to seven)
    -Option to show/hide certain attributed files (hidden/readonly/archive/system)

M3Sakura has:
    -Commercial rom loading and the stuff that go with it (cheats, RTS, RTG, slow motion, etc.)
    -Global settings (I have no idea what they consist of, since everyone just refers to them as the global settings. If someone could tell me...that would be nice xD)
    -Slide to open
    -Swapping video playback screens
    -Has .dpg3 support (I remember this one had strange compatibility issues that every other .dpg didn't)
    -Auto-dldi patching
    -Better homebrew support (maybe...since I haven't really tried Moonlight's included loaders...I just used ysloader since I knew it worked with the stuff I use)
    -The placement of the stop and allrep/shuffle/repeat buttons on the video player are centered to make a nice trapezoid rather than Moonshell2's alignment (stop button directly under the play/pause button and the allrep/etc. shifted to incorporate that change)

These are all the differences I can remember at the moment about the two. Overall, I would say MS2 has greater potential because of the extlinks, but unfortunately there aren't very many people that make the extlinks.

18. toxicflash

Newcomer toxicflash Member

United Kingdom
    +1,000,000 for a sticky

19. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    Meh, I'd still rather have Sakura. Plus Sakura is still getting new features from M3.

20. Jakob95

United States
    Thing is you can't compare Sakura and Moonshell a lot. Because you could run Moonshell on the M3 Zero but you can't run Sakura on any other flashcart. So M3 has the best off both worlds lmao. I still like Acekard 10x better though.