• Views 2,998
  • Replies 24
  • Likes 3

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Many people in Japan are actually calling for Nintendo to release a basic package without the dock for closer to 20,000 yen. This makes perfect sense in Japan where handhelds are bigger than consoles. Indeed, my dock is packaged away in the box, I never use it. Many people in Japan will be stuck with a dock they will never use.

Nintendo won't do that however because they seem to be trying hard to promote it as a home console you can take with you, rather than a handheld.
Honestly that makes perfect sense. They need developers on board, and with their history they need to project a very clear image for the Switch. Sure eventually there may be a no-dock bundle and a tv-only bundle, but only after enough time has passed that people don't get confused by it all.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly that makes perfect sense. They need developers on board, and with their history they need to project a very clear image for the Switch. Sure eventually there may be a no-dock bundle and a tv-only bundle, but only after enough time has passed that people don't get confused by it all.
I don't know about the west, but here in Japan there's definately a market for a dockless package. Handhelds are king here so there's a lot of YouTubers here complaining about being forced to buy the dock with the console.

I have a wife and kids so my gaming time at home is limited. I commute every day so I've been using the Switch so much, playing all the indie games etc. I used the dock once when I bought the console to try it out, then packed it away and have never used it since. Even when I'm at home, the Switch has a big enough screen that it's just easier to not bother docking.

But as I say, I think it comes down to 'message' i.e. trying to avoid promoting the Switch as exclusively a handheld.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: chartube12

Snitzle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is the Razor and Blade model which is where you sell the initial product below value and try to make it back through additional sales.

In the case of consoles, you'd make it back through games and services.

I understand that doing that at the price of the original PS3 may make some sense or when PS4 and XBONE release at a similar time and are competing but for Nintendo it makes no sense.

Prices, in some fashion, convey a perceived value. If they priced the Switch near the portables people would compare it with the 3DS and not even consider it. There is also what I initially stated.

If you had product x and many people said "I would buy that for £10." You wouldn't say great! lets sell for £6. Prices for products with such large reach and high competition as games consoles usually have their prices deliberated over heavily for this reason.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Consoles haven't used the razor and blade model for a few generations now. All the current generation consoles have been sold at a profit since launch.

Reactions: chartube12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I mean, I've never seen a message on a thread with more than 30 reactions at max
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just be a mod, insta likes for xp
    +2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    and based on the table reactions only give 1 xp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And insta fear from your enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @DinohScene, "rag tag team of idiots" you mean me? :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit