• Start date
  • Views 147,152
  • Replies 370

slickbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know its said that some programs will not install as file with preloader but theres one thats really bugging me. Mplayer CE. Can it be done. The only thing different i can see from the boot.dol from any other that i have had success with is the size ie its over 8mb. Is this too big to install?

smokerdee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i updated to 4.1u from 4.0 and cant get preloader right. preloader is on my wii but none of the settings work. i dnt kno if my hacks.ini is wrong, in the wrong place or what. any help is much appriciated. i feel retarded cuz its such a simple task tht i cant figure out but i dnt wnt to brick my wii messin around and i want to feel more secure with preloader.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smokerdee said:
i updated to 4.1u from 4.0 and cant get preloader right. preloader is on my wii but none of the settings work. i dnt kno if my hacks.ini is wrong, in the wrong place or what. any help is much appriciated. i feel retarded cuz its such a simple task tht i cant figure out but i dnt wnt to brick my wii messin around and i want to feel more secure with preloader.

You need to change your hacks.ini to work for 4.1.

smokerdee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:

i should have added tht i have 4.1u hacks ini which ive downloaded different times from different places. the problem is wen i click system menu hacks it says, hacks for your systemmenu (v449) were found no. it also does tht without the sd card in slot. thnx for responding, any more ideas?

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smokerdee said:
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:

i should have added tht i have 4.1u hacks ini which ive downloaded different times from different places. the problem is wen i click system menu hacks it says, hacks for your systemmenu (v449) were found no. it also does tht without the sd card in slot. thnx for responding, any more ideas?

Are you using a SDHC card or is it formatted FAT32? I had a problem recently loading the hacks from a 8GB card. I put in a 512MB card in with just the hacks.ini file in the root and it read it just fine.

If you don't have another card, try reformatting your SDHC card as FAT. It will only be 2GB, but it should work.

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dcoop said:
Right, im starting to get a little bit confused about this.

I have Bootmii installed, as boot2 I think..(thats when bootmi starts up as soon as you switch on the wii, right?)

So, given that...do I need preloader? If I was to brick my Wii in any way..would bootmii sort me out, I have done a NAND dump at some point and backed it up on my PC. Or might I brick it in some way that would need both Bootmii AND preloader?

I didn't see anyone answer this, so..

They aren't even in the same league. If you have BootMii installed on boot2, then its really all the brick protection you need. Preloader relies on IOS integrity of the Wii while boot2 does a complete "restore point" style return of your NAND. Adding preloader to boot2 setups is just function of having the system hacks and auto-boot file feature. boot2 + preloader = nothing to lose. They do not interfere with each other. boot2 loads as normal, holding reset on the bootmii screen triggers preloader's menu.

xboxrules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks EtherealX for your explanation, I have a working HBC but never went down the bootmii or preloader path, now that I know a little more I think bootmii might be installed.

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xboxrules said:
Thanks EtherealX for your explanation, I have a working HBC but never went down the bootmii or preloader path, now that I know a little more I think bootmii might be installed.

Got a few PMs asking me to explain this, so.. instead of writing separate PMs, here you go :>

Any Wii that is old enough to have BootMii installed on boot2 really should have it installed. It doesn't interfere in the least.. you can even tweak the boot.ini file to make it autoload your Wii menu after so many seconds if you're too lazy to walk to the console when you power up. I'll elaborate even more for you..

BootMii has two install options. Old Wiis had an exploit in their boot drive that allowed things to be saved to it (boot2 drive, thus the term.) Even if you were a moron, accident or pure-geniusly uninstalled vital IOS files, or bricked from bad wads -- the boot2 sector remains intact, and letting you still load BootMii to restore your system. In order to know if you have a boot2 Wii or not, you need to try to install BootMii (via the hack installer, www.bootmii.org to learn more, read their FAQ to learn what errors mean.) Contrary to belief, your Wii serial number can not tell you anything as serials aren't sequential (unless its LU64/LU65, then you can NOT install boot2.)

Newer Wiis purchased after about early summer of 2008 had this exploit changed. The new Wiis can not install anything to the boot2 sector, so the BootMii process for this is commonly referred to as being done via IOS. Instead of embedding itself in the core of your Wii, it effectively hides to still allow you to backup your NAND. (And if you don't know, when you hear NAND, think about a backup of your Wiis' operating system.) The catch is.. BootMii is loaded via HBC, so if you brick your system so bad you can't load HBC. This method becomes useless. In the same boat, this is where Preloader comes in very handy for IOS BootMii installs.

Before you ask, you can not "hack" your way into the boot2 sectors. Not to go technical, but let's say its now hard-coded to stop access.

Preloader itself truly has no "brick protection." This is a big misconception amongst the novice Wii hackers out there. It simply allows you to stop the Wii boot process to do certain things.. like, perhaps, maybe load HBC to access your IOS BootMii setup, or WAD Manager to reinstall a corrupt WAD. They go hand in hand. However, just like a IOS BootMii install, Preloader relies on IOS integrity to start. If the Wii is so fubar-bricked that Preloader doesn't load (usually from corrupting/removing a system file) then you're screwed. So.. Preloader (relying on system files) stops the Wii boot process and does its thing. BootMii on boot2 actually loads BEFORE the Wii loads anything (not requiring a system at all) so you can (assuming you backed up your NAND) do your own magic and restore the system.

If you're fortunate to have a boot2 Wii, then you probably don't need Preloader. In fact, if you have a boot2 Wii and use Preloader just for hacks, you should look into something called StartPatch, which is the offspring of the old school Starfall offering a very non-obtrusive system hack.

If you can install BootMii to boot2.. Do it, no questions (and duh, backup your NAND.)
If you installed boot2.. Preloader is noveltry. (StartPatch is my recommendation.)

If you can NOT install BootMii to boot2.. install it as IOS (its not entirely reliable, but it might help.)
If you can NOT install to boot2.. you definitely want Preloader as it becomes your first line of defense. Just remember, Preloader stops the bootup process mid way.. so if your Wii is so fucked it can't even start the boot process -- Preloader doesn't load and you achieved a brick that can only be achieved from boot2 bootmii or a hardmod (google infectus.)

Hope it solves some inquiries. -ciao

Edit: I should also point out that in order to do anything in BootMii-IOS you need a wired gamecube controller (until they fix the rather old bug.) BootMii-boot2 you do not need a gamecube controller.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:

Are you using a SDHC card or is it formatted FAT32? I had a problem recently loading the hacks from a 8GB card. I put in a 512MB card in with just the hacks.ini file in the root and it read it just fine.

If you don't have another card, try reformatting your SDHC card as FAT. It will only be 2GB, but it should work.
I'm having this issue too, so I can just use a 512MB card and then go back to the 4GB sdhc where everything is? Thanks in advance

xboxrules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even bigger thanks EtherealX, that fully documented explanation clears it up even moreso for me and thanks for the Starfall/StarPatch info because I had seen it mentioned in various threads.

smokerdee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:
hdhacker said:
smokerdee said:

i am using a 2 gb sd card tht i was using b4 i updated, and it worked with the hacks fine. its not sdhc so i dnt kno why im getting the error. u think formatting it anyway would work. any other suggestions. thanx

Civori

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaphappygamer said:
so, i have my wii at 4.1u. what should i set my ios to within preloader? 249, 60, 36? do i need to set it to any certian one?

I'm assuming you mean the System Menu IOS. Use 60.

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read some cases where dropping the ".ini" part of the file sometimes works. The SDHC issue still applies, though -- Preloader is finicky.

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should use IOS60. There's only one (maybe two) valid reasons to use 249. One being if you want to kill your Wii Settings section as a.. parental guard of sorts so someone can't change your Wii Settings (249 disables Wii Settings.) Two, if you went the ciosCorp route and having trouble getting discs to read in the main channel.

oconkingpin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an issue with Preloader and launching HBC within it. I have a 4.1U LU64+ wii with HBC and the IOS bugs/hacks installed (can play Wiiware/VC, etc without issue).

I've installed preloader 0.29 and it works fine but if I choose the "Launch HBC" option from the menu, it loads a glitchy HBC load screen (the blue screen with the SD card on it) and then locks up the Wii. I've searched all over to try and find an answer but have gotten nothing.

Any idea what is wrong and/or how to fix it so that I can run HBC?

kirox777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a PERFECT guide! thank you
yay.gif

Izzy

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't install Preloader for some reason, the button press 1 to Continue won't show up even after 10 minutes or so. I used Preloader when I was back on 3.2E, but later I found out I was able to install BootMii as boot2 so I did that when upgraded to 4.0E

So what am I missing here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/gXtJ12EeaOs?si=ESC50o7Vr5sUh71I