The Pokemon Company is looking to hire those with NFT, metaverse, and blockchain experience

sdasd.png

The Pokemon Company has drawn the ire and attention of many, with a new job posting that is actively seeking employees with experience in uncharted territory for the Pokemon franchise. The hiring page shows that The Pokemon Company International wants to hire staff that has "deep knowledge and understanding of Web 3, [...] blockchain technologies, NFT, and/or metaverse. They also appear to be looking for someone who can "connect the relevance of potential partners or technologies with Pokemon's existing assets", which has fans dramatically split between unease and excitement for what this might mean for the future.

The Pokemon Company isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last, in terms of businesses trying to incorporate elements of the blockchain into the video game industry. Despite harsh criticism in the past, Square Enix is still committed to pushing the idea of NFT games. Regardless, outside of the hiring page, nothing involving NFTs has been announced from The Pokemon Company, for now.

Ricken

Waiting for something to happen?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would it do differently to the end-user?
Oh, nothing?
I morbidly like the idea of every 'mon being paywalled for anything at all
Kinda TCG with no RNG just Money G
I couldn't tell ya what they'd do, I'm just someone who's been saddened by Pokemon since Gen 7, personally. Maybe they flip over, or power your house for free, your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps it could be the first chance in history to throw a Geodude down a valley to see if he breaks and I think that'd be my favorite waste of money

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I morbidly like the idea of every 'mon being paywalled for anything at all
Kinda TCG with no RNG just Money G
I couldn't tell ya what they'd do, I'm just someone who's been saddened by Pokemon since Gen 7, personally. Maybe they flip over, or power your house for free, your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps it could be the first chance in history to throw a Geodude down a valley to see if he breaks and I think that'd be my favorite waste of money
Isn't that just modern Pokemon?

The games inflated by 50%, from 40$ to 60$.
You need to pay 25$ for online now, up from 0$.
There's now download content to make up for the lack of post-game. 0$ to 30-60$+ and trickling over years.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A Pokeverse with every pokemon existing as an NFT that you can do things with in game might be neat if they do it right
I'd love to see people scramble over event Pokemon and chuckling at every rush for an expensive chunk of bytes :P
Amusing as that would be you are thinking small. The scramble, rates and oh so very serious business srs bsns for "famous" mons that were part of a team that won a tournament (possibly in a spectacular fashion), discovered some hidden something (possibly being imbued with something "more" for it -- discovered hidden cave, 5 more pp for a move than baseline), that visited every area...

Reactions: Ricken

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except blockchains aren't "immutable" or "unique" at all. It's literally nothing.
God you crypto bros are hilarious. Any attempt to make "blockchain" useful (like using Bitcoin as a currency instead of Beanie Babies for idiots) leads to it being useless... because you just have libertarian/ancap wheel reinventing, except grossly inefficient.
Right, right. Here’s what the “crypto bros” at IBM think, along with specific use cases.

https://www.ibm.com/topics/blockchain

Whether you like it or not, blockchain technology is already integrated by many major brands to improve service, reliability and efficiency. Next time you go to Home Depot, please be aware that the 2 by 4 you’re picking up got to you in part because the company tracks its inventory of well over a million different items from more suppliers than we have time to list by using IBM’s blockchain and Google Cloud. It was specifically introduced because the company struggled to maintain inventory, or in fact figure out where their inventory even was at any given time. Now every little doo-dad is tracked as a virtual asset and contracts with suppliers are tied to a smart contract, which simplifies deliveries and disputes with vendors.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, right. Here’s what the “crypto bros” at IBM think, along with specific use cases.

https://www.ibm.com/topics/blockchain

Whether you like it or not, blockchain technology is already integrated by many major brands to improve service, reliability and efficiency. Next time you go to Home Depot, please be aware that the 2 by 4 you’re picking up got to you in part because the company tracks its inventory of well over a million different items from more suppliers than we have time to list by using IBM’s blockchain and Google Cloud. It was specifically introduced because the company struggled to maintain inventory, or in fact figure out where their inventory even was at any given time. Now every little doo-dad is tracked as a virtual asset and contracts with suppliers are tied to a smart contract, which simplifies deliveries and disputes with vendors.

I'm trying hard to think of IBM's relevance in the last 20 years and 2005's destruction of the ThinkPad line and 2011 Jeopardy (when IBM Watson played) are all I can think of.

They don't use "blockchain" to do that dude. No one is doing that. It would be a grossly inefficient and slow way to do what we've always done for online databasing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm trying hard to think of IBM's relevance in the last 20 years and 2005's destruction of the ThinkPad line and 2011 Jeopardy (when IBM Watson played) are all I can think of.

They don't use "blockchain" to do that dude. No one is doing that. It would be a grossly inefficient and slow way to do what we've always done for online databasing.
They’re doing it right now. Don’t take my word for it - Google which companies use IBM’s Hyperledger, or just blockchains in general. I can add Unilever, Nestle and Walmart to the list, each with their own unique use case.

Nestle taps into the Food Trust module of the IBM suite. They use it in association with the Rainforest Alliance to verify coffee origin and provide transparency to customers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darryn...d-trust-blockchain-to-its-zogas-coffee-brand/

Unilever uses it to bolster their advertising arm - they’re most interested in tracking media consumption to better target potential customers.

https://venturebeat.com/media/ibm-unilever-blockchain-pilot-cuts-wasteful-ad-spend/

Walmart uses it to maintain the food supply chain, so similarly enough to Home Depot, except they also have to worry about the product being fresh by the time it arrives on a store shelf. It’s orders of magnitude faster than their previous solutions.

https://tech.walmart.com/content/wa...cles/blockchain-in-the-food-supply-chain.html

Something as simple as a can of tuna can be traced all the way back to the individual fishery that caught the fish in the first place. Y’know what that helped reduce? Slavery and human rights abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...h-slavery-free-seafood-sustainable-technology

You saying that “nobody’s using it” doesn’t change the fact that blockchains are actively used by many industries, not “crypto bros”. You can make peace with that or you can just deny what you see with your own two eyes. It’s not even a discussion worth having - companies that utilise the blockchain in their day-to-day operations are not coy about it. We can spend all day naming brands.

As for IBM’s relevance in the last 20 years… well…

8606A2CE-F510-49E7-87D6-4B5B4F074CEB.jpeg

COVID-related market shenanigans aside, it seems that investors disagree with you. IBM is doing pretty well. The stock price of IBM on March 15th 2003, the start of your specified timeframe, was $72.31. It has nearly doubled since. They’re expected to hit that target within the next year.

Ricken

Waiting for something to happen?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that just modern Pokemon?

The games inflated by 50%, from 40$ to 60$.
You need to pay 25$ for online now, up from 0$.
There's now download content to make up for the lack of post-game. 0$ to 30-60$+ and trickling over years.
at least you can buy a pokeball with pokedollars

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They’re doing it right now. Don’t take my word for it - Google which companies use IBM’s Hyperledger, or just blockchains in general. I can add Unilever, Nestle and Walmart to the list, each with their own unique use case.

Nestle taps into the Food Trust module of the IBM suite. They use it in association with the Rainforest Alliance to verify coffee origin and provide transparency to customers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darryn...d-trust-blockchain-to-its-zogas-coffee-brand/

Unilever uses it to bolster their advertising arm - they’re most interested in tracking media consumption to better target potential customers.

https://venturebeat.com/media/ibm-unilever-blockchain-pilot-cuts-wasteful-ad-spend/

Walmart uses it to maintain the food supply chain, so similarly enough to Home Depot, except they also have to worry about the product being fresh by the time it arrives on a store shelf. It’s orders of magnitude faster than their previous solutions.

https://tech.walmart.com/content/wa...cles/blockchain-in-the-food-supply-chain.html

Something as simple as a can of tuna can be traced all the way back to the individual fishery that caught the fish in the first place. Y’know what that helped reduce? Slavery and human rights abuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...h-slavery-free-seafood-sustainable-technology

You saying that “nobody’s using it” doesn’t change the fact that blockchains are actively used by many industries, not “crypto bros”. You can make peace with that or you can just deny what you see with your own two eyes. It’s not even a discussion worth having - companies that utilise the blockchain in their day-to-day operations are not coy about it. We can spend all day naming brands.

As for IBM’s relevance in the last 20 years… well…

View attachment 359331

COVID-related market shenanigans aside, it seems that investors disagree with you. IBM is doing pretty well. The stock price of IBM on March 15th 2003, the start of your specified timeframe, was $72.31. It has nearly doubled since. They’re expected to hit that target within the next year.

Blockchain != database arrays.
Seriously.

Investors aren't people, why do I care what walking trash bags who contribute nothing to society and are a leach on the ass of life do or think? That's like caring what a CEO says or something, who cares?

IBM isn't relevant the way you think they are, because they aren't.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IBM might have got out of the PC game (might have been early but PCs/channel have since died on their arse) but their underlying tech game is still very much a thing and they are very much a player in that world.

Equally while there are plenty of oxygen thieves in the investor world (granted no more than teachers, HR and other useless professions) and stock market =/= economy then IBM is not one of their sacred cows they use as a test and thus could well serve for price discovery/worth and future chances thereof.
You would almost have been better off noting the general price for the S&P 500 during the 1993 timeframe was around 440 where today it is 9 times that (was 10 times before this little slide into recession), though we would then have to do the established company vs stability vs whatever thing. Similar story for nasdaq if you want to go for that one instead.

Alternatively you can continue raging against nothing. Always amusing to watch that is.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Blockchain != database arrays.
Seriously.

Investors aren't people, why do I care what walking trash bags who contribute nothing to society and are a leach on the ass of life do or think? That's like caring what a CEO says or something, who cares?

IBM isn't relevant the way you think they are, because they aren't.
Man, oh man. Alright, @Dyhr - you know better than some of the world’s biggest corporations. In fact, you know exactly what technology they use, better than they themselves do. This conversation is *so* over. :lol:

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trading card game already is NFT like in price and in the sense of generating artificial scarcity.

For the pokemon video games I do no worry, as they still did not figured out how to make something that look as good as a N64 game, so it will take generations of implemented gaming NFTs to they finally learn it
ah if they can make money off it I bet they will figure it out real fast and just add it to another of their lower quality games since people bought scarlet and the other one

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IBM might have got out of the PC game (might have been early but PCs/channel have since died on their arse) but their underlying tech game is still very much a thing and they are very much a player in that world.

Equally while there are plenty of oxygen thieves in the investor world (granted no more than teachers, HR and other useless professions) and stock market =/= economy then IBM is not one of their sacred cows they use as a test and thus could well serve for price discovery/worth and future chances thereof.
You would almost have been better off noting the general price for the S&P 500 during the 1993 timeframe was around 440 where today it is 9 times that (was 10 times before this little slide into recession), though we would then have to do the established company vs stability vs whatever thing. Similar story for nasdaq if you want to go for that one instead.

Alternatively you can continue raging against nothing. Always amusing to watch that is.

Yeah you people do tend to think "teachers" are a useless job, right?
Those Fs are showin', buddy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah you people do tend to think "teachers" are a useless job, right?
Those Fs are showin', buddy.
I don’t know, man. To the casual observer you’ve been taking L’s instead, but who am I to judge? I get the apprehension when it comes to blockchain use in commerce, but yours goes past the point of reasonable caution and well into the realm of rejecting reality.

Reactions: Ricken

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
ah if they can make money off it I bet they will figure it out real fast and just add it to another of their lower quality games since people bought scarlet and the other one
they took a decade to implement DLCs and yet not touched on lootboxes. The video game side of the pokemon company (gamefreak) is portrayed as money thirsty, but they actually are just lazy, lazy even to milk money.

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they took a decade to implement DLCs and yet not touched on lootboxes. The video game side of the pokemon company (gamefreak) is portrayed as money thirsty, but they actually are just lazy, lazy even to milk money.
the difference between now and then is back then they had a CEO that cared now we have a money hungry CEO so i think it will happen a lot faster now

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that? The Pokemon Company only had Ishihara as CEO since the beginning. He still is the CEO, or something changed just now?
i'm pretty sure nintendo has a controlling interest in the company that kinda mean nintendo can tell them what to do but i could be wrong wouldn't be the first time

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
i'm pretty sure nintendo has a controlling interest in the company that kinda mean nintendo can tell them what to do but i could be wrong wouldn't be the first time
Oh, now I got it, you were talking about Furukawa, not about Ishihara.

Nintendo's influence is there, sure, It's different companies. Hiring people, that is the topic we have here, do not seem to be much on Nintendo's influence sphere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D