The PlayStation Store will no longer be offering movie and TV purchases/rentals

QCFtwYl.png

It seems the subscription service model is edging PlayStation out of the TV and movie online rental market. After August 31, 2021, you will no longer be able to purchase TV seasons or movies, nor will you be able to rent movies on the PlayStation Store. This change is due to Sony seeing "tremendous growth" when it comes to both ad-based and subscription-based streaming services. If you've purchased any media through the PlayStation Store in the past, you'll still be able to watch it on your PlayStation 4 or 5 and still access it after the cutoff date.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

It seems the subscription service model is edging PlayStation out of the TV and movie online rental market. After August 31, 2021, you will no longer be able to purchase TV seasons or movies, nor will you be able to rent movies on the PlayStation Store. This change is due to Sony seeing "tremendous growth" when it comes to both ad-based and subscription-based streaming services. If you've purchased any media through the PlayStation Store in the past, you'll still be able to watch it on your PlayStation 4 or 5 and still access it after the cutoff date.

:arrow: Source
Damn, for the random family using pstv instead of a fire stick or android tv. They're done for

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the real reason: they can't compete with netflix and disney+
YOU ARE A PIRATE, the song, y'know

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Well as someone who bought my PS4 Pro primarily as a movie machine
Why? What benefits does it have, over something like a raspberry pi and osmc? or, https://osmc.tv/vero/ this if you want 4k.

My pro is the only 4k device I have, but the media player that comes with it isn't that great I've read, the only network support it has is dlna. I've used the plex app before but then I have to use plex...

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is actually quite an interesting move.

In a time when every other content house (and Sony is definitely a player there -- probably only behind Disney and Warner Bros), and better yet with their millions installed units in houses up and down the land plus at a least a mobile market to speak of, is trying to spin up their own network (about 15 years late to the party but if everybody else bar the guy in the pirate hat was too then is it really a party?) even as a loss leader then Sony are pulling out...
Not sure what to think of that one.
I figure it is a wait out the bloodbath (let CBS, Disney, Netflix and all the rest duke it out, burn through any amount of "make it happen" money and when that runs out step in to execute the cash strapped remainers by not having blown their promotion money), someone left the crack smoker in charge, lack of funds (doubtful but stranger things have happened) or they think they can make a better go of it not being the bank but a customer of the bank (and again they already have the install base, the content and the demonstrated ability to distribute it)...

I can only imagine this will be talked about considerably in about 15 years.

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony needs to just give up on everything but TV/movies and the PlayStation brand. Them shutting down Japan Studio is one of the stupidest decisions I've seen in a long time.

sux for anyone who actually bought anything. meanwhile all my tv shows and movies are safe and sound on discs when i can access them whenever i want forever
Until the disc rot.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll be honest, although I've used the DVD/BD player on occasion on my PlayStations, I haven't bought or rented a single movie on the platform, and I've been on the ecosystem since the PS3. I only know one person who did, and they did so by accident. I'm not surprised that they're cutting this kind of fat off the brand. Reminds me of the removal of Music Unlimited from the PSP.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well as someone who bought my PS4 Pro primarily as a movie machine, I'll be taking a partial refund on my purchase now.
Sony, feel free to DM me for my Venmo.

Except you can still use it as a movie machine. They didn't say you can't still play movies on it that you already own or from all of the other video services available on the PS3/PS4/PS5. Just their own store will not be offering them. No partial refund for you. :P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I kind of forgot this actually existed TBH :lol:

I know Sony has been dropping a couple of their streaming things the last couple years, presumably they're gearing up to offer one big subscription service I expect, probably expanding that Bravia-only thing they announced a month or so back I expect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...