The PlayStation Classic relies on the open source PS1 emulator PCSX ReARMed to play its games

VTUZpMa.png

Classic and mini versions of retro game systems have become popular to release onto the market, including the recently announced PlayStation Classic. With a very basic UI, and the chosen lineup of 20 games, many fans were disappointed and claimed that Sony's attempt at a plug and play throwback console was low effort. Complaints only furthered when it was revealed that Sony wasn't creating or reusing their own PlayStation 1 emulator for the Classic, like they had done with the PSP's POPS emulator, or with the PSP emulator that was found within the PlayStation 4 remaster of Parappa, or the emulated PlayStation 2 classic titles on the PlayStation 4 as well. Instead, Sony has opted use an emulator made by the public: PCSX ReARMed. At an event showing off the upcoming hardware, previewers were able to try out the PlayStation Classic, and found a menu listing stating that it uses open-source software, including PCSX ReARMed.

:arrow: Source

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, it is. I find mednafen useless for various reasons. But I accept it meets your needs, because it's subjective.
What you feel or what i feel is not important.
The question is, which emulator is better..
Mednafen is the one that does a better job at emulating a PSX. So is not subjective, MEDNAFEN is more ACCURATE at EMULATING a PSX.

Then we can argue which one we like more or which one fits or needs better..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Accurate in what way? Because I can tell you in terms of accuracy it's fucking terrible.

If you want to discuss it in terms of games that are playable, then that is subjective.

Not sure where you've smoking, but Mednafen and Beetle PSX are way more accurate than PCSX ReARMed or any of its variants.
Don't be so full of BS, there is enough empirical evidence that proves it is. Would love to see proof that it's "terrible" though.

Oh boy if Mednafen (which uses bsnes) has terrible accuracy i wonder what you think of snes9x....

He probably thinks Zsnes is more accurate. Snes9x is bloody close to Higan, esp. now that 1.57 is out, without the ridiculous requirements.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would love to see proof that it's "terrible" though.

The source code is proof enough. Writing software that runs on real hardware but fails on mednafen is pretty trivial.

He probably thinks Zsnes is more accurate. Snes9x is bloody close to Higan, esp. now that 1.57 is out, without the ridiculous requirements.

You have no clue. Zsnes and Snes9x are terrible. Subjectively snes9x may be good enough for you but as a mere user you have no real objectivity.

Last edited by smf,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The source code is proof enough. Writing software that runs on real hardware but fails on mednafen is pretty trivial.

Zsnes and Snes9x are terrible. Subjectively snes9x may be good enough for you.

Sorry, but I think your observation is bullshit, but whatever. There's no point in trying to convince you otherwise, I'm done here.
PCSXR and its variants are just OK, Higan is overrated.

Toodles.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but I think your observation is bullshit, but whatever. There's no point in trying to convince you otherwise, I'm done here. Toodles.

Right, you're done pretending you have a clue. See ya.

Oh boy if Mednafen (which uses bsnes) has terrible accuracy i wonder what you think of snes9x....

We were talking about ps1, moving the goal posts to make your point work is kinda dumb.

Last edited by smf,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, you're done pretending you have a clue. right.

Ah shut it. Keep on suckin' that Higan epeen all day long :creep:

Mednefen and Beetle PSX are better than PCSX could ever be, deal with it, and "look at the source code" isn't proof enough, show me hard empirical evidence or shut it.

People are going to use whatever they want for PSX and Snes emulation, so zip it.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah shut it. Keep on suckin' that Higan teat all day long :creep:

Diddums, did someone upset you by talking about an emulator you really like?

Mednefen and Beetle PSX are better than PCSX could ever be, deal with it, and "look at the source code" isn't proof enough, show me hard empirical evidence or shut it.

You wouldn't understand it and then you'd brush it off as unimportant, because you're involved in a religious crusade.

People are going to use whatever they want for PSX and Snes emulation, so zip it.

Wow, just wow. That was my fucking point, maybe if you took your head out of your arse you would have understood. If someone wants to run pcsx reloaded then they can.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: barronwaffles

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really sony? you cant make your own emulator for the arm cpu,so you have to steal open source. Wouldnt it be great to sue sony for violating the GNU licence. Should not be hard to bring to court. You either steal the code or you dont.

They didn't steal it, they're allowed to use it, as they put it in the credits. But, it goes to show that they're lazy.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We were talking about ps1, moving the goal posts to make your point work is kinda dumb.

1)It was a mistake, because i was talking about someone wanting to port canoe to switch and he/she came with the same dumb stuff you are talking here....

2)PCSX rearmed is not as accurate as Mednafen PSX emulator. It doesn't matter how you want to put it, or which one you fell works better for you..... Mednafen is being developed to be as accurate as possible, while on the other hand rearmed is want to get most of the game running on arm devices. Every single person you can ask, will tell you the same. MEDNAFEN PSX is more ACCURATE than REARMED.

But please give us any proof that Rearmed is more accurate than Mednafen.
Also as a side note, like i said early, both emulators have their own areas to be used... I don't see my Pi3b running mednafen...

Last edited by WildDog,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)It was a mistake, because i was talking about someone wanting to port canoe to switch and he/she came with the same dumb stuff you are talking here....

2)PCSX rearmed is not as accurate as Mednafen PSX emulator. It doesn't matter how you want to put it, or which one you fell works better for you..... Mednafen is being developed to be as accurate as possible, while on the other hand rearmed is want to get most of the game running on arm devices. Every single person you can ask, will tell you the same. MEDNAFEN PSX is more ACCURATE than REARMED.

But please give us any proof that Rearmed is more accurate than Mednafen.
Also as a side note, like i said early, both emulators have their own areas to be used... I don't see my Pi3b running mednafen...

To further prove its accuracy, here's some documentation for Mednafen PSX that should shut him up:

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/psx.html

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that "documentation" is what the options do in mednafen, not actual documentation of how the playstation works at all.

no$psx author is the only one that has released his discoveries:
https://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm

Well so-rry.:( I was just trying to prove that PCSX isn't all that accurate, and Mednafen was, and that anyone trying to debate that needs to come up with a reason or proof to the contrary.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Well so-rry.:( I was just trying to prove that PCSX isn't all that accurate, and Mednafen was, and that anyone trying to debate that needs to come up with a reason or proof to the contrary.
be more careful next time to not make a fool of yourself.

regarding the discussion, here is my opinion:
mednafen isn't as accurate as people think and on top of that it lacks a dynarec making it the more unoptimized option. but that very reason might be why is more accurate tbh, usually interpreters are more accurate than recompilers.
pcsxr is a nice piece of software that by itself cannot be compared to mednafen because it uses plugins to work and depending on the combination of those its compatibility and accuracy varies, having said that, the core itself is fast and accurate enough. it relies on some hacks to make some games work but the compatibility is really high. it doesn't need a bios to work as it has an embedded bios that has high compatibility (the only well know title that fails to boot with it is mgs).
the rearmed variant has fixed gpu and audio plugins so it's more easier to compare. its compatibility is as high as pcsxr at the cost of some fancier features for the fixed plugins (pgxp and perspective corrected textures).

all in all both emulators are even in the compatibility front which is what we really care about.

now if you want raw accuracy you go with xebra that even emulates the pocketstation and if you want to develop you go with no$psx that has an excellent debugger.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oh bitch, bitch bitch, please, just shut your damn mouth already, we get it, you get off by the mere mention of Higan.

Here's my opinion, Higan is overrated and it sucks balls.

Deal with it and grow the hell up.

Cry me a river and go back to supporting Sony.
Dude, you're doing it again, getting riled up and more angry. I usually see it once in a while and just pass it by, but I've been seeing it rear up with more hostility and frequency recently. Again, I'm not asking you to inform me of what's happening in your life, just asking to take some deep breaths if you can and try to just let some things go by. Otherwise all you end up with by constantly arguing is making yourself look worse than you did, the other person feeling horrible and possibly another step towards bitter heart. It's unhealthy, and I'm super sad to see it, and can understand shit happens in life, and it can suck so fucking hard, but there are more constructive ways to release any anger or negative feelings.

Not saying you can't argue and debate, but try to take a step back when you get in the thick of it and think if you're getting heated and all the insults and demeaning words are worth the post you're making.

And by all means, feel free to PM me if anything is up, I'm offering it just like before. I'm available if you need me.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok