Hacking The original R4 DS

martravi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This question is about the one and only original R4 DS from 2007-2008 which box is labelled with the URL http://www.r4ds.com/ . It is not about any of the later Flashcards from other manufacturers under the same "R4" brand which are labelled with different URLs.

I recently acquired one of the original R4 cards used-complete-in-box, more as a collectible than for practical usage. However, the cartridge casing is black rather than white, and the chinese text on the box is missing, which is different from how the R4 packaging is/was presented on the official website. The URL on the box however is the original one, and the cartridge itself has no URL printed on it, just like the original.

Also, the official website states in an FAQ, which was last updated in mid-2007:

Q: What colors are available from the R4 Adapter?
A: We are currently manufacturing White cart for first batch stock, we might consider other colors soon.

So, did I get a later batch of the R4, which uses a black casing and does not have the chinese text on the box, or is it a 1:1 clone that is able to run with the original firmware?

Again, this is less about practical usage and more for collecting reasons. I just want to know what I got.

SoraJr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no one replied, so hopefully I can. I personally have never seen a white casing for R4 cards that were real. They were probably gonna shipped them out, but stopped. There really isn't any information on that, from what I can see. If you wanna collect the newer ones like me here's a SITE that I used. I have a little collection too, lol

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Q: What colors are available from the R4 Adapter?
A: We are currently manufacturing White cart for first batch stock, we might consider other colors soon.
The original R4 cards would look something like this. The one on the left is the first revision with a spring loaded slot, these were reported to have faulty microSD slots that would break after many uses. The one on the right is the second revision (quoted "R4 V2"), that opted for a non spring-loaded slot, as well as changing the colour of the shell from white to black.

1024px-R4v1.jpg
R4v2.png

So, did I get a later batch of the R4, which uses a black casing and does not have the chinese text on the box, or is it a 1:1 clone that is able to run with the original firmware?
If it doesn't have any other branding on the cart's label like SD(HC) or capacity size stickers, then it should be legitimate; the same goes for the box. This is what a legitimate R4 cart PCB should look like.
1695984851114.png
1695984982012.png

Fake ones would either have a different solder mask or use a different firmware entirely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1