The official "DSi" is scam thread.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Moots, Nov 1, 2008.

Nov 1, 2008
  1. Moots
    OP

Member Moots The Incredible Sulk

Canada
    Not a scam in the sense you think. If you've read my other posts regarding this, you know how I feel.

But seriously people, for those of you who buy the new psp's, GB, GBA's, DS, etc when they are released even though you own a prior version of said handhelds, you are simply further allowing Console makers to make shoddy systems. They release a version of a handheld fully knowing the released version isn't at its full potential, or isn't as sleek/small as it could be, or leave out backlighting(GBA isn't it?) so they can simply release a newer updated version months later with a brand new handheld price tag on it, full well knowing that many consumer whores will buy it mostly for a look what I have effect.

Do you really think the DS phat could not have been the size of lite on launch, you have to be kidding me. Apple has done this with the Ipod and Iphone since their conceptions. Its a joke. It pisses me off. A new DS because it has a camera? What significant additions have they added to justify a new version of the handheld? I'll tell you what significant additions they made, a gimmick camera, the letter i, and a first release date price tag.

I know some of you have to have the latest and greatest and I'd like to thank you for allowing comapanies to flood the market with half assed crap.

So anyhow, the DSi is purely a money grab. Nintendo is basically relying on the stupidity and materialistic nature of the masses to make more money on a half arsed new version of a handheld. Why make it solid on the first release? We can release 3 more versions of it over the next few years, thus effectively keeping the release date price, and get prior DS owners to bank another couple hundred on this POS. Oh yeah don't forget the kids "But mommy I want this one it has a camera, I don't care that its an arm and a leg more"

Oh yeah, flashcarts don't work either. And if I am any judge, if half of us have to pay for games we will use our DS'es even less than we do now.

2. JDMEVOIXMR

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo is just another company trying to make money, of course they want to succeed in profits, that should be every company's goal. If you don't like the system, then don't buy, wait for the new one. If somebody spends $180 on the DSi when it comes out and doesn't like it, that's their problem. Put yourself in Nintendo's place, would you really release the DS2 without milking money out of the DS lite, which is consistently strong in sales? How about Apple, would you release a 500GB iPod Classic without at least upgrading the HD of the current one to 200GB? You could make more money if you upgrade your products slowly. Besides, if Apple were to release a 500GB iPod, they would force competitors like the Zune to develop 500GB as well, or maybe more.

3. Moots
    OP

Canada
    Its not that they won't like the DSi, its that its uncalled for. Tell me they didn't have this technology 2 years ago! If you think otherwise you are a naive fool. Release a solid product and people will buy it. But oh no, lets half ass it(Gamers will buy it anyway), lets sell people something that we know will be outdated in 4 months because we have the technology to make the Lite now, or the DSi now sitting beside us as we release the phat.

We will continue to pay premium buck for shoddy handhelds. I am not okay with that. It is rediculous. Nintendo thinks gamers are stupid, and sadly most of them are.

4. JDMEVOIXMR

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree that this is outdated technology, but Nintendo is smart as a company to milk money out of people. There are many stupid gamers out there, but if they buy a handheld and like it, or dislike it, it doesn't affect you in any way. You don't NEED to purchase a DSi, you can wait until the next generation handheld comes out, but by that time you'll probably have the same argument. If this is so uncalled for, why are people on other forums I'm on getting hyped up over this? Nintendo releasing a DS with a camera sparks interest, maybe not to us tempers but the majority of consumers who don't know diddly squat about flash carts. There will always be a market equilibrium price, if someone is willing to pay $180 for a DSi, that customer is happy and Nintendo is happy. If Nintendo has the DSi right next to them at the time they were going to release the Phat, then they would've put in code that they KNEW could not be cracked, so that Pass Me, flash carts would have never come into existence.

5. Moots
    OP

Canada
    I am nt going to buy one, sadly the masses will. Allowing these shennanigans to continue.

6. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Yes, that's the way the world is, selling stuff to make money.
    Look at me, I'm 15, and I'm selling DSTTs at school for 60$ apiece.
    Then I'm gonna get some Acekard 2s and sell them for like 80$ saying they are better

Also, DSi just came out. Were flashcarts instantly working when the original DS came out?
    No, first there were the slot-2 ones.

7. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    take economics. specifically, microeconomics.

everything is explained =D

8. Moots
    OP

Canada
    Im not pissed that I wont get a DSi, I have a lite and I quite enjoy it if I did want one I am sure i could scrounge up the cash to grab one but I have one I don't need another. I am just sick of being nickled and dimed by game companies. If it is allowed to continue, it will never stop.

Thats my issue.

And sure i promote the use of flashcarts, and modding, not because I am cheap, there are games I will still buy. Chrono trigger, gears 2 etc. I will start purchasing all of my games again when they stop releasing half assed crap, and charging stupid amounts for it.

Also why would owning a DS make me materialistic. I don't need the newest and best of everything to show off to people or to make me feel good. I have a ds because i enjoy games.

I spend as little as possible on things, even the things I enjoy. Entertainment prices have been increasing forever while the quality has been dropping....and I am expected to pay more for this when a company fixes something that shouldn't have been an issue/or included in the original product in the first place.

9. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Moots, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you think the DS Lite or the DSi could have been launched when the original DS came out, you are very mistaken. Technology moves forward and game companies have to as well.

My personal theory is that the DSi is a test run against the iPhone/iPod touch. Apple is heavily positioning those machines as game machines (after the last iPod event the e-mail Apple sent out about the iPhone and touches lead in discussing them as gaming machines) and the App Store looks like it could be a big deal. If it does take off, Nintendo does not want to be left behind.

Anyway, the DSL came out at least two years ago - Moore's law states that processor speeds double every year. If you think about other hardware and even creativity in a similar way, how or why is it surprising that new iterations of older machines come out? Needs, aesthetics, and the ability to put in features at certain price points change.

10. jagerstaffel

Member jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Any person who thinks the DS Phat should have been the DS lite at launch is a moron, and an idiot. Like, when did you grow up? Did you realize when the thing was designed? Did you forget the price at launch? Did you forget how long it took for Floppies to die out?

I bet you don't even know how the prototype looked like. "Bluetooth" anyone?

It took 2 years for the DS Lite to launch and at a cheaper price. Times change, and so does technology. If you forgot prices change too well then.... [​IMG]

Sony dropped out of the PDA business due to unconfirmed reports of moving LCD production towards the PSP. Think that was easy?

Face it, you want a DSi, and want to play pirated games on it. Otherwise you wouldn't think its a scam. You wouldn't even care to spend energy posting about it being a scam. Hell, it's not like they are torturing you to buy it, so why the hell bother?

A Scam is a Nigerian email. Or maybe you weren't around when those emails first appeared.

/end rant.

11. kikuchiyo

United States
    For the record - I'm not buying a DSi any time soon, even though they're coming out here - I don't see the point.

In any case, moots, if I can take your line of "thinking" and apply it to another situation - I bought my first modern PC more than ten years ago, around 1994 or 1995. I should stop being a "sucker" and should not have purchased PCs. Why didn't my Compaq have wide screen like my Macbook Pro? My hard drive now is 100 times larger than the Compaq's! Why did Compaq hold out on me?! It didn't have USB or Firewire - Compaq obviously didn't include them so they could stiff me and I'd have to buy a new PC in a few months. Same with the DVD drive that machine didn't have.

Why didn't they have Vista or Mac OS on it? Just so they could sell me a new PC!

12. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I highly doubt Nintendo is marketing to people who pirate their games. It seems liek you just want everything for free, games, and all the new features on an old DS lol.

13. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    Honestly, I think that Nintendo would make more money if the DSi supported flashcarts.
    Why?
    All the flashcart users have a DS Phat or DSL. If they are pirates, they aren't going to buy new games. If the DSi doesn't support flashcarts, they won't get that either. If it did support flashcarts, they would atleast make hardware sales.
    The only flipside to that is that non-flashcart users will notice the DSi, buy it, and then get into flashcarts, and start using them on the DSi.

Eh Nintendo is fucked either way.

14. jagerstaffel

Member jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ahaha I don't know why I didn't mention this! This is the greatest example of how technology changes every day!

Hats off to you, kikuchiyo. [​IMG]

15. kikuchiyo

United States
    I was originally going to mention this but scrapped it in favor of the analogy but you think all the DSi is is a camera and a new price tag? The camera may end up getting used a lot, you have no idea, but you missed a major feature and (in my mind) the biggest reason for re-releasing a DS machine, the online store (I forgot what it's called but let me just call it the app store for the moment).

I don't know if you paid any attention to Apple's last iPod event/press conference, when they released the cute new Nanos, but they also updated and pimped the iPod Touch and iPhone. They heavily emphasized their gaming capabilities (which are not bad, if real companies start to take advantage of them). After those kind of press conferences Apple like to send out e-mails discussing the new products and the one they sent out regarding the Touch and iPhone was primarily about them as gaming machines.

Who else is in the handheld gaming market...that's right, Nintendo. They have a lot to lose if Apple's machines gain a lot of ground. Moreover, Apple's App store seemed to do be doing pretty well at the beginning and if that's indeed a new, upcoming market (and on the console side and for the PSP there seems to be some interest in online distribution, from the consumer side) Nintendo would be stupid NOT to get involved. The company has a lot to lose if Apple or Sony begins to eat their lunch in the handheld area.

During even it's leanest times in the last 10 years, Nintendo has been able to rely on cash from its handhelds (in that way it very much resembles Microsoft). While they are doing well this generation, it would be insane not to match Apple while its App Store is still in its infancy - before it becomes the premiere place for a developer to take his or her new app. If Nintendo waited until either the iPhone platform became as widespread as the DS or the App Store became a huge phenomenon they would have already lost.

16. 13375p34k3r

Member 13375p34k3r GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wow, your gonna get beat up one day when someone finds out tht you've been ripping off everyone. I hope you know Karate or something...

17. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    I...really don't get what the problem is.
    There aren't going to be too many DSi only games, and of the few there will be fewer that are even worth playing.

That, and Nintendo themselves said the DSi is basically being put out to get the remaining population who doesn't already have a DS or 7 to get one.

kikuchiyo also brings up a valid point too with the DSi capable of a Wiiware/VC type thing.

And of course, they're not forcing you to buy it. They're not stopping production of the Lite quite yet.

18. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Heh, I'm still on my DS Phat.

Works fine for me, never wanted to upgrade. [​IMG]

19. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    nintendo, by law, have to put their shareholders first, and therefore profit is the first (and probably only) thing they consider.... they are a company not a f***ing religion.

but, whatever, I won't be buying one unless there is some compelling super uber DSI only games released. just like i bought a GBA, but not a SP

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    the problem is most people won't have a choice soon, the ds lite will be phased out by nintendo and replaced with the dsi instead, that's what nintendo are planning anyway and i agree 100% with moot, i'm fed up with the upgrades myself, especially when it came to the psp 3000.