1. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    SNES still has more and better RPGs, but Switch has been generally satisfying.

2. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    GPU clocks were kept lowered to lower the possibility of having overheating issues in hotter locations
    CPU clocks were left lowered for the same reason + consistency.

>supercharged dock
    Impossible with current hardware.

>i7
    Lmao

>tv only Switch
    One existed at some point but was scrapped or something (probably because it was completely pointless).

3. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I never said anything about a tv only switch. That's missing the point of it. I'm saying nintendo should sell supercharged docks. If they're incompatible with current hardware, maybe they can make a new switch revision, not like the switch lite, but the hardware revision from 2019 that added extra battery life. HAC-001 (-01) iirc. Maybe do something like that but add external GPU and CPU support? Also what's so funny about me mentioning the i7?

4. ZachyCatGames

United States
    Oops, I’m tired and must have misread something heh.

They could do a hardware revision, but not like the 2019 one, it’d have to new variation of the system (to avoid confusion).

i7s are x86_64, Switch uses armv8. I don’t think I need to say any more.

5. 64bitmodels

United States
    Oh lol, i'm an idiot. Forgot Switch used ARM :P
    I guess they can sell supercharged compatible switches for like
    350 maybe
    Actual docks would be pretty expensive, like maybe 400$. Any lower and it'd probably be sold at a a loss.

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  6. ZachyCatGames

United States
    Yeah, that’s definitely possible.
    Only issue would be that developing for it would be a pain heh.

7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    it wouldnt make sence lol, what you want is ridiculous if the dock had its own cpu/gpu then it would be its own console ffs, so why bother docking the switch if your only using the cartridge reader or the internal memory to read the games? lol you would be paying for 2 consoles so the switch would cost something like 700$...

Also because the console was made to be slim, being slim means it doesnt have too much venting space so even docked if you raise the switch cpu/gpu to their intended clockrate you will burn your switch.

You can already see hacked switches where they raise afew % of the cpu/gpu and its a drastic change, remenber X1 chip switch has on shield tv is clocked at cpu 2ghz and gpu 1ghz, the switch both docked and undocked has cpu at 1ghz and gpu docked/undocked at 768/307.2MHz. so yeah theyr could squeeze more if the chip didnt get so hot, remenber the switch doesnt have the venting space of shield tv, becuase the screen and such adds even more heat.

8. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    A lot of PS2 were sold just because they doubled as dvd players. It was the cheapest dvd player at the time, so why not also maybe have something which can play games. But i know of many people who had one or two PS2 and only played dvds. So it's probably not the best way to compare "popularity of a gaming console" when one of them is also taking in "cheapest first-gen dvd player" numbers as well.

It's vaguely like combining all cellphone sales and adding them to the total of gaming devices sold since most people maybe play some sort of game (well, a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea). But it's nearly impossible to justify separating ps2 game sales from ps2 dvd sales, so it's probably perfectly fine to compare them. Though sales numbers of the top 10 or 100 games might be better?

But on topic, go nintendo. Interested to see how it competes with xbox and ps5

Last edited by osaka35, Feb 3, 2020
  9. 64bitmodels

United States
    ... the fucc??? I'm pretty sure a GPU and CPU aren't enough to make a full console lmao. Youd still need the switch ram and the switch os to run the apps lmao.
    Also, as for the ventilation problem with the switch... get a fucking watercooler or better cooling solution then??? im talking a build for switch enthusiasts, so that couldn't really be too expensive for them. a watercooled dock would be a nice cheaper alternative to a supercharged one, so if you couldn't afford the supercharged one, you could get a cooled one so that the switch can unleash the full clock speeds in docked.

10. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    PS3 was also the best bargain for a Blu-ray player in the early years.

osaka35 likes this.
  11. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Thailand
    But the market had changed by then. Less and less people were consuming their digital media on physical formats, and few people could afford a TV that would really show the benefit of BluRay compared to DVD anyway.

The PS2 with it's DVD capabilities was in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

12. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol, some seriously short-sighted people around here...the Switch is on track to be the best selling console of all time! I'm not saying it will be, but 52 million sold in under 3 years is bonkers.

13. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    Didn't the Wii sell 84 million in three years?

14. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, but 50 million of those were so granny could play bowling in the living room.
    And the fact that it didn't get any of the good 3rd party games from that gen completely stunted it's sales post casual fallout.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - surpassing, Nintendo, reached