The MIG Switch Thread

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Before your MIG Switch can be used you will need to download and flash a firmware file too it.

To do so download the latest firmware file from here, if for whatever reason the website is down you can also find the firmware within the Downloads section of GBATemp if you search for "Mig Switch firmware for Cart AND Dumper"

Once downloaded unzip the .sf2 file to the root directory of a blank micro SD card, then plug the SD card back into your MIG Switch and insert it into your system. You should see a blue light appear on top of the MIG Switch and than turn off. Once it is off, the firmware has been flashed, and you can insert the SD card back into your PC and delete the .sf2 file as it is no longer needed.

From here you can follow the next spoiler to setup and use your MIG Switch

Using the MIG Switch is simple. First make sure that your SD Card is formatted to exFat. While Fat32 will work using exFat will allow you to copy as many games as you'd like without having to worry about if they will have to be split into 4gb chunks or not

Create a folder on the root of your SD card that has the exact same name as both the XCI and cert files within it. You can do this for as many games as you can fit on your SD card. But remember to cycle through all of them you need to keep ejecting so it is recommended to keep this down to a handful of games.

If done correctly your SD card should look similar to mine. These folders were all created and organized automatically using the "official MIGDumpTool NRO" and the NXDumpTool Host program for windows. I've gone ahead and compiled for download here since I couldn't find it anywhere else

If your SD card looks similar to mine, it should be good to go to insert back into both the MIG and your Nintendo Switch and should start functioning right away!

jMBG49O.png

This is the contents of one of the folders. Notice how the file names are following a pattern?

YPnIUH6.png

Last edited by TheStonedModder,

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's your reasoning behind getting a migswitch? the product makes no sense to me
It’s cheaper to buy both a mig switch and dumper($130) than it is to get my OLED switch modded. Either locally or by mailing it out

Plus I can have my whole game collection with me without risk of losing hundreds of dollars worth of games if something happens to my switch and it’s carrying case($50 each game adds up quick)

The dumper is also a convenient tool I low key hate having to plug my switch into my pc and finding a usb c cord that is both data and power

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
It’s cheaper to buy both a mig switch and dumper($130) than it is to get my OLED switch modded. Either locally or by mailing it out

Plus I can have my whole game collection with me without risk of losing hundreds of dollars worth of games if something happens to my switch and it’s carrying case($50 each game adds up quick)

The dumper is also a convenient tool I low key hate having to plug my switch into my pc and finding a usb c cord that is both data and power

I guess if you don't intend to use it for piracy it makes sense.

to be fair, you'll need to find the usb-c cord for the dumper as well

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if you don't intend to use it for piracy it makes sense.

to be fair, you'll need to find the usb-c cord for the dumper as well
Even if you use it for piracy it works well since it still works out cheaper than getting a modchip installed. that’s why I made that second script

Regardless the purpose of this thread isn’t to discuss wether if the flashcart is ewaste or to justify purchases

If some of yall have a cheaper method than $130 to get your consoles hard modded consider yourselfs lucky and do your thing

ThePokemonFan25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my mig switch in yesterday and I set it up today and anytime i add a game and put in switch i just get the game card could not be read error

Reactions: Skv0ra

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say that the Mig Switch is much easier to setup than installing a modchip. If you look at the installs, they are pretty messy because of how you need to be really precise with the wire management, and that nobody has the equipment or skillset to do so.

Reactions: Sonic3320

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least you got it for a good price, people are asking for $100+ on ebay lol.
There are a few on Reddit it for that price off of Aliexpress as well it’s crazy lol
Post automatically merged:

The official Mig Switch instructions say to use the "nxdumptool" host program to dump games from their official dumper app to your PC. Well they both failed to include a hyperlink and to mention that there is not compiled version of this host yet. I'm sure other programs like NUT server would work. But for the sake of convenience and for what most google finders will probably want to do. I'm trying to stick with "official" tooling and apps for this guide

I've gone ahead and compiled a standalone version of it for other Windows users. Any other OS I can't speak for.

w25mu4F.png

Attachments

• nxdt_host.7z
    8.2 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: BigOnYa

Wario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dumper is real. Taki Udon posted a video of it in action, but who knows for how long before it’s taken down.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting .nxindex file on my SD card after loading a game for the first time. I can't seem to open it

Trimmed XCI files don't work btw which sucks because they where like half the size

Attachments

• nxindex.zip
    129 bytes · Views: 9
Reactions: BigOnYa

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting .nxindex file on my SD card after loading a game for the first time. I can't seem to open it

Trimmed XCI files don't work btw which sucks because they where like half the size
It's just a file to track what was last loaded. The first 1-4 bytes or so is the index of the last ROM loaded. At offset 0x1E0 you find a version string. "1.1.2" in your case.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now I kinda worried that this flash cart isn’t working as the MIG team claims

I was curious as to what would happen if I tried to make a backup/dump the MIG Switch itself after it was detected by my switch and the cert files that are 100% on the SD card with the game did not seem to get dumped despite this "new" XCI still working in Yuzu indicating a proper dump

Fun Fact. The "official" mig dumper homebrew NRO refuses to "process" and dump the MIG Switch any longer if the SD card is completely full.

A full SD card also causes the .nindex file to fail to generate which locks you into whatever game the MIG Switch was on last until the file is deleted manually.

At least there is a cert file this time(at least according to DBI)
1711251928436.png

Attachments

• IMG_6074.png
    IMG_6074.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 5

Zoria

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Hello
I acquired mine on Friday, but today after upgrading it to the latest version, impossible to change game by removing / putting back the mig, forced to rename the folders so they are not detected and therefore force the change of game, I tried to downgrade but it did not change anything.

1711309487256.png

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello
I acquired mine on Friday, but today after upgrading it to the latest version, impossible to change game by removing / putting back the mig, forced to rename the folders so they are not detected and therefore force the change of game, I tried to downgrade but it did not change anything.

View attachment 427643
Try deleting that .nxindex file that’s what tells the MIG the last selected game and the game order

Your folder names also need to match the internal files exactly I believe

how can you use it for piracy you need an original cart and have to rip it. can't believe people are even buying this useless device! :lol:
I ripped my whole library. You just need one set of certs to use as a doner

Thanks for your opinion though that is also useless please keep the thread on topic

Zoria

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Try deleting that .nxindex file that’s what tells the MIG the last selected game and the game order

Your folder names also need to match the internal files exactly I believe

I ripped my whole library. You just need one set of certs to use as a doner

Thanks for your opinion though that is also useless please keep the thread on topic
I've already tried but it doesn't work, what's strange is that the names are good because when I delete the .xci from the folders so there's only one good one / rename the folders it works.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tried but it doesn't work, what's strange is that the names are good because when I delete the .xci from the folders so there's only one good one / rename the folders it works.
Is your SD card full? I had a similar issue when I purposely filled my SD card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto